How to get your card reader and its SD card back to life

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
FeodorF

How to get your card reader and its SD card back to life

#1 Post by FeodorF »

Hello everybody!

Have you ever heard 'our' new slogan?

'If you are going to use Puppy Linux for some some years, make sure you have some WD-40 spray at home!'.

What that is all about?

Well, it took me two days to find out why my Precise Puppy 5.4.1 wouldn't work on my card reader.
I had pluged and unpluged the mini usb connector and the SD card 'many' times while trying to get that son of a bitch back to work.

No go!

I was ready to throw it into the trash - fortunatelly I didn't do so. Instead I took the plastik cover off and
checked the inside while I firmly connected cable and card to the reader. It started working for some moments
and failed again.

Ah! Got You! The connectors didn't connect propperly - both sides. I decided to give my WD-40 spray a try.
Yeah! Great stuff that WD-40. (We used it very often on our 'Key Telefon Systems' to get them back to work.)

Card reader works fine again.

Regards
Feodor

boof

#2 Post by boof »

I don't doubt it works, but AFAIR WD40 is an insulator...... of points anyway.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Nope, oil and grease work very well to facilitate static connections and protect them from corrosion (passivate them.) Not so well on moving contacts, apparently because the movement forms a film of oil between the contacts, and, as you note, oil is a very good insulator in addition to being a good lubricant.

If you have some WD-40, try it on your card reader contacts. What have you got to lose? Just spray a bit on the exposed contacts that will be easy to wipe off, and plug it in. It shouldn't be dripping, though that really wouldn't cause a problem.

Barkin

#4 Post by Barkin »

I'd try rubbing (polishing) the contacts with a lint-free cloth first, before adding any chemicals which could damage (soften) plastic ...
Q. What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

A ... Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40
http://www.wd40.com/faqs/#a98

There is a gadget cleaning the connectors in the SD slot, it looks like a bit of plastic shaped like an elongated SD card which you wrap in the "microfibre" cloth used to clean lenses ...
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/130687096936?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-CAMERA-CANON-MMC-SD-MEMORY-CARD-SLOT-CLEANER-/5755301696
Attachments
SD slot cleneaner 'kit -'.JPG
(6.85 KiB) Downloaded 598 times