1.0.9 CE, 64MB RAM: Firefox won't open from CD

Booting, installing, newbie
EmaP

1.0.9 CE, 64MB RAM: Firefox won't open from CD

#1 Post by EmaP »

I'm really new to Puppy but I like it very much.
I've searched a lot but I wasn't able to find the solution to my problem.

I'm tying to use it for a Sharp Laptop with Pentium 3, 2 Gb free HDU but only 64 Mb of RAM.

I found a strange behaviour for Firefox.
- when I start the Multisession-CD distribution, Firefox works
- when I start the Live-CD distribution (pup001 and puppy.swp on HDU), Firefox doesn't open.

My "feeling" is that MultisessionCD use a different way to create/use the swap.
It seems to use it at a much earlier stage then LiveCD.
In one case Firefox run, in the other no. :shock:

Thanks for your suggestion on how to have it run on LiveCD.

Bye,

Dr.Freeze

your inluck

#2 Post by Dr.Freeze »

i have the same dist: In order to get it working you have to right click and go to setup. Know click ethernet/ network wizard a box should pop up. click eth0 then auto DHCP then save the configureation. thats how it worked for me

EmaP

#3 Post by EmaP »

I've already done it.

My problem is that Firefox itself is not opening when I use LiveCD: I click the icon and nothing happens.

When I start the MultisessionCD it's OK.

:?:

stlchuck

Firefox problems ?

#4 Post by stlchuck »

What versions of Puppy and Firefox are you using? People have reported that Firefox 1.5.0.3 in Puppy 1.0.9CE will not run with less than 128MB or so of RAM - less requires use of a swap file or partition. Not sure why there is a difference between the live CD and Multisession where running Firefox is concerned. If you can give some more info maybe one of our more advanced users will be able to fill us in on the why and how.

EmaP

#5 Post by EmaP »

I use Puppy 1.0.9CE with Firefox provided with it (I think 1.5).

LiveCD an MultisessionCD were downloaded for the same version, the same day.

For LiveCD I created manually a swap file (puppy.swp), while MultisessionCD creates it automatically (pup....).
It looks like there are some difference in memory allocation that allow to start Firefox from Multisession and not from live.

EmaP

#6 Post by EmaP »

Please:
HELP ME!!!!

I really can't have it working from live CD...

If I don't find a solution I'll have to rollback to (the orrible) Windows ME...

TIA,

jaxpilot

#7 Post by jaxpilot »

I had the same problem on a Sony Vaio PCG-C1XS with 64 MB RAM. Firefox would not open. I created a 200 MB swapfile and Firefox opened right up. I am running Puppy 1.09 CE installed on an linux partition.
Paul

Sparky2

#8 Post by Sparky2 »

Puppy 1.09CE works beautifully in every way on my old NEC Versa LX, PII 266, 64M. I do have a 800M swap file in the same partition as my pup file. (I followed exactly the instructions I found at puppylinux.org/wikka/SwapFile) but Firefox still just refuses to even open. When I try to launch it (either from the desktop icon or from the command line), absolutely nothing happens. Everything else works. I can browse my Windows computers (soon to be ex-Windows computers after I figure out how NFS works, if that is what I will need to be able to browse all boxes over a Linux peer-to-peer network) with the LinNeighborhood Samba client, I can browse the Internet with Dillo, I can send and receive email with Sylpheed, etc., etc. It is all quite snappy (light years better than Win2000 on that machine which I had pretty much abandoned because it was such a slug) and I would be absolutely thrilled that the 'ole laptop may become useful again, if only I could get my favorite browser, Firefox, to open.

From what I read here, my problem with Firefox not opening should have been solved when I created the swap file. If this is so, it makes me wonder whether my swap file is set-up correctly. I vaguely recall hearing someone say they could check their swap file usage. This would help me determine whether or not my swap file is in use. How can I do this?

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

This one? :-
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... highlight=

If possible, it's better to set aside a small partition, rather than a file, for use as swap space. How this is done has been described here ad nauseam.
I've found that this can be very small indeed with Puppy, sometimes as low as ~50Mb, although the general 'rule' is to allocate twice the size of main memory for swapping, not exceeding 512MB of swap space in total.

trapster

#10 Post by trapster »

This also happened with me. I have a HP laptop w/ 128 ram and 800 swap file on the HD and when I first downloaded 109ce, everything worked but firefox. I had been using seamonkey since 107 so I downloaded that and used it. After a few days of using seamonkey, I went back to play with firefox again and it fired right up!! I have no idea why, but now it works.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

rarsa

#11 Post by rarsa »

EmaP wrote:I really can't have it working from live CD...

If I don't find a solution I'll have to rollback to (the orrible) Windows ME...
What? does Windows ME have a Live CD?

Insanity: "Doing the same thing and expect different results"

There are many solutions to have puppy running in a computer like yours. Why must you use the Live CD?

If you must keep WinME (Or whatever you have on your HDD), just resize that partition and create a 128 MB (or more) swap partition.

Don't get blocked on the solution that does not work. Unless of course is sheer curiosity of knowing why it does not work.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

EmaP

#12 Post by EmaP »

What? does Windows ME have a Live CD?
Noooo, I've WinME on the PC and I can't erase it (it has application and data of my mummy)

Want to use the LiveCD to have a fast machine for browsing the net.
Live CD 1.0.9CE it's really nice.
I made the swap file, added it to rc.local and "free" reports it is used.
But Firefox didn't work.

Now, I'll try to use a partition...
What can I use to resize existing partitions without loosing existing data ?

TIA,

rarsa

#13 Post by rarsa »

Puppy2 comes with gparted.

You could download the barebones as it is quite a small download.

If you are friend of the CLI you could use parted too.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

EmaP

#14 Post by EmaP »

Thanks a lot!!!!

Using GParted I was able to create the linux swap partition and after that Firefox started!

My next clue is to surf using ADSL "dial-up" (PPPoE)....

I'll post again if in trouble.

Thanks to everyone!!!