Create Puplets + Make a PET Package + G Chrome + RAW Images?

Booting, installing, newbie
LinuxRob

Create Puplets + Make a PET Package + G Chrome + RAW Images?

#1 Post by LinuxRob »

1. Program To Create Puplets

Please could someone quickly remind me the name of the program used to create puplets? My memory must be going because i can't remember it at all.

2. How To Make a PET Package?

Is there any way i can create a PET package by myself? Let's say as an example i wanted to download the latest version of Firefox, how could i convert the downloadable file from the website into a PET package to be used on Puppy Linux?

3. Google Chrome

Whenever i attempt to download an extension from the Google Chrome/Chromium store, it acts as if i haven't actually got Chrome installed because it takes me to the Google Chrome download page and won't show a download button for the extension file i want.

This is the only thing it tells me on the Chrome download page is: - 'For Linux (Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/openSUSE)'

4. Displaying Raw Images

Is there any way i can display .CR2 raw images on my computer with Puppy? Have tried a couple of things but nothing is working. Really need a photo viewer with slideshow to display my pictures to the rest of the family.

Help would be much appreciated as usual. Sorry but i am a bit of a newbie when it comes to Puppy Linux.

Thanks, LinuxRob
Last edited by LinuxRob on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 08:17, edited 3 times in total.

rcrsn51

Re: Progam To Create Puplets+How To Make a PET Package+G Chrome?

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

LinuxRob wrote:2. How To Make a PET Package?
Read here.

LinuxRob

#3 Post by LinuxRob »

Thanks very much, problem solved on that part. Does anyone know the answers to the other questions?

Sorry but i am very new to Linux and have no experience at all, as mentioned above.

mikeslr

Creating Puplets & Chrome

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi LinuxRob,

There are three ways to "create" puplets. The "hard" way is to start from scratch using woof. It's only recommended for people having considerable Linux, especially Puppy Linux, experience and expertise. So its probably not what you want. The "easy" way, is available in all standard Puplets you can download. Having downloaded a Puplet, you run it and add the pets and Sfses you want, delete those you don't, configure and customize it to your heart's content and then run Remaster usually found on the Setup sub-menu. This is probably the one you're looking for. If this is your first time in remastering, it is strongly recommended that you first do a "well-minded" search, http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html, using the phrase "How to Remaster" and read thru several of the posts it will find. There's a point in the remaster process where you're asked if you want to change the root folder currently in the /tmp directory. You must click yes, delete everything currently there and copy into it everything you have in your running root folder, otherwise it merely builds the Pup you downloaded without your changes.
Both Saluki and Carolina have an application called Custom-Builder, I think accessed via Menu>Control>Setup. But that's a guess as I'm not in either of those Puplets. So you'll have to look for "custom builder." It should walk you thru a "remastering" process. But, again, a wellminded search on the terms "Carolina custom builder" or "Saluki custom builder" could be helpful.
Chrome: Its best to use a Chrome pet or Sfs already built for the Puplet you're using. First check Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager>Internet to see which version may be available. Then run a well-minded search on the terms "Chrome + NAME OF YOUR PUPLET" to find the latest version, and if there are any reported problems with it. Then decide.
If you want to try Chrome from its official website, click the blue button above the text you quoted, and then select the ubuntu/debian version: 32-bit if your Puplet is Exprimo or Precise or Lupu/Lucid. It may work. 64-bit if your Puplet is Lighthouse or FatDog64. It probably won't work. If your Puplet is Slacko or Saluki or Carolina you could try the debian-32 bit, but it probably won't work. Regardless, before trying anything from the official site backup your SaveFile so you can recover from any mess it makes. If you have a Full install, don't try it at all. Messes are not recoverable.

mikesLr

LinuxRob

Re: Creating Puplets & Chrome

#5 Post by LinuxRob »

mikeslr wrote:Hi LinuxRob,

There are three ways to "create" puplets. The "hard" way is to start from scratch using woof. It's only recommended for people having considerable Linux, especially Puppy Linux, experience and expertise. So its probably not what you want. The "easy" way, is available in all standard Puplets you can download. Having downloaded a Puplet, you run it and add the pets and Sfses you want, delete those you don't, configure and customize it to your heart's content and then run Remaster usually found on the Setup sub-menu. This is probably the one you're looking for. If this is your first time in remastering, it is strongly recommended that you first do a "well-minded" search, http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html, using the phrase "How to Remaster" and read thru several of the posts it will find. There's a point in the remaster process where you're asked if you want to change the root folder currently in the /tmp directory. You must click yes, delete everything currently there and copy into it everything you have in your running root folder, otherwise it merely builds the Pup you downloaded without your changes.
Both Saluki and Carolina have an application called Custom-Builder, I think accessed via Menu>Control>Setup. But that's a guess as I'm not in either of those Puplets. So you'll have to look for "custom builder." It should walk you thru a "remastering" process. But, again, a wellminded search on the terms "Carolina custom builder" or "Saluki custom builder" could be helpful.
Chrome: Its best to use a Chrome pet or Sfs already built for the Puplet you're using. First check Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager>Internet to see which version may be available. Then run a well-minded search on the terms "Chrome + NAME OF YOUR PUPLET" to find the latest version, and if there are any reported problems with it. Then decide.
If you want to try Chrome from its official website, click the blue button above the text you quoted, and then select the ubuntu/debian version: 32-bit if your Puplet is Exprimo or Precise or Lupu/Lucid. It may work. 64-bit if your Puplet is Lighthouse or FatDog64. It probably won't work. If your Puplet is Slacko or Saluki or Carolina you could try the debian-32 bit, but it probably won't work. Regardless, before trying anything from the official site backup your SaveFile so you can recover from any mess it makes. If you have a Full install, don't try it at all. Messes are not recoverable.

mikesLr
Hi Mike,

Sorry about the late reply, i have been very busy this week and haven't had time to check my questions. Thanks for taking the time to help out, i'm sure i will be able to create a very decent puplet later today thanks to your information and guidance. Downloading Woof right now and can't wait to try it out.

Regarding the Google Chrome thing, i don't think i have explained it very clearly as there must have been a bit of confusion. It should have been about adding extensions onto Google Chrome and not adding a Chrome extension onto Puppy Linux. My mistake, i apologise for the confusion.

Thanks and best wishes, LinuxRob.