Why does frugal Slacko go so slow on my computer?

Booting, installing, newbie
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

I believe a frugal install will boot into RAM by using the "puppy pfix=ram" boot option, but I've never tried it because I've never ran Puppy from anything but a DVD. :)

pieman390

#17 Post by pieman390 »

I did it :) thank you guys so much!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

Come on, don't just say you did it. :? Tell us what the problem turned out to be and how you solved it. :)

pieman390

#19 Post by pieman390 »

oh lol alright.. what i think made me get the error the first time is i think i didnt partition it right.. oscar said that the splitting of the partitions was instant and i had no clue why he said that because when i tried it it was going to take 2 and a half hours total.. but i tried it again this time.. dont remember what i did different.. and it was instant this time!

oh one more thing.. how do i get puppy linux slacko to use the swap parition? does it do it automatically or do i have to do something for it to use it?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

I think Puppy looks for a swap partition when it boots and uses it if it finds one. You should be able to tell by running the command free from the console. So, does Windows still boot OK? That's the real test of whether the partitioning went off without a hitch.

pieman390

#21 Post by pieman390 »

i tried the free command it is working! :)

and i switched to windows right now and windows is working fine too!

thank you guys!

today is a good day! :)