Givin' puppies away

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
seldomseen

Givin' puppies away

#1 Post by seldomseen »

I usually carry around a few home-burnt CDs of various Linux distros around with me, and give 'em to anyone who's been plagued with all the wonderful things (cough) associated with W**dows and interested in a REAL operating system.

About a week ago I gave a friend of mine (an Ubuntu user) CDs of Mepis, Kanotix (which I use most of the time) and Puppy (v. 1.0.2, with the 2.6 kernel). He zapped up another copy of Puppy for a friend of his. This guy told me tonight how much he digs the Pup -- runs like blue blazes on everything. His test 'puter -- I don't know how old it is, but I know it doesn't have a hard drive -- handles it quite well. He's very impressed.

I mentioned in the old forum that I have Puppy running on my spare computer, an old IBM Aptiva that I found dumpster-diving. This unit, a Pentium, has a whopping 48M RAM and a state-of-the-art 4G hard drive. When you set up a swap partition on even this former doorstop, everything still loads into RAM and is so fast you'd swear it had 10 times the RAM. Even tried opening every program I could think of at one time just to see if I could break it. Couldn't do it.

Got some real impressed people here.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Givin' puppies away

#2 Post by BarryK »

seldomseen wrote: Even tried opening every program I could think of at one time just to see if I could break it. Couldn't do it.

:D