Puppy is prompting to select keyboard layout at bootup

Booting, installing, newbie
edwin.evans

#1 Post by edwin.evans »

I need Puppy to start up automatically but when I don't have any keyboard plugged in, it has a screen asking to choose keyboard layout. I need it to boot up all the way automatically without having any keyboard plugged in. How can I do this?

Thank you!

Sky Aisling

#2 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello edwin.evans
and, welcome to the forum.

Could we have a little more information, please.
What make and model machine are you using?
If you don't mind me asking, ... Why do you not want a keyboard plugged in on startup?

edwin.evans

#3 Post by edwin.evans »

I'm using Puppy 5.0 (and can't upgrade since 5.1 doesn't work with my USB device). For our deployment scenario there won't be any keyboard or monitor plugged in. Actually it is the monitor that seems to be the problem. When x windows starts it runs a wizard to select keyboard layout and optimize monitor. Thanks!

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

What happens if you boot using "puppy pfix=nox"?

edwin.evans

#5 Post by edwin.evans »

rcrsn51 wrote:What happens if you boot using "puppy pfix=nox"?
Then it is OK. Thanks!

But will it run my startup scripts? I need it to update the time after booting. I'm trying doing an ntpdate or psync but I haven't had success with either of them when monitor isn't plugged in. When or how can I do this?

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

In this setup, try running your startup scripts from /etc/rd.d/rc.local.

However, you may need to wait until you have a live network. Go here and look at samba-autostart. It contains some code that may be useful.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 20 Nov 2012, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

edwin.evans

#7 Post by edwin.evans »

Normally when running in X-Windows when I want to save to my Flash drive, I click the Save icon. Is there a way that I can do this so I can test this without running xwin?

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

What is the real objective here? To run in an X environment with a monitor and mouse, but NOT a keyboard?

Many computers won't even boot up if there is no keyboard present.

edwin.evans

#9 Post by edwin.evans »

No, I want to run with no keyboard, no mouse, and no monitor. Just the computer and network.

edwin.evans

#10 Post by edwin.evans »

It does not necessarily need to run x windows.

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

I think that this would be easier to get working with two computers - one with all the devices and one headless.

On the full computer, you can start X by typing "xwin".

edwin.evans

#12 Post by edwin.evans »

Actually the problem with the headless configuration is fixed by not starting X Windows so I'm OK with that now. My only issue is that I can't seem to get ntpdate to run properly even when not headless. If I put it at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local it either isn't running or isn't able to run successfully at that point. I also tried before putting in a 60 second sleep before running it. It works fine if I run the rc.local script manually.

edwin.evans

#13 Post by edwin.evans »

Let me know if I should start a new thread for this. I'm only keeping it here since I thought it is related and you're being so helpful!

edwin.evans

#14 Post by edwin.evans »

Actually, I need to start X Windows so I can use VNC (unless there is a better option).

So what I really need is just to prevent the xorgwizard from running. I tried just replacing /usr/sbin/xorgwizard with an empty file but got an error starting x-windows. I also tried removing the call to it in /usr/bin/xwin but also got an error. Any suggestion? Is that the right module I should be trying to prevent from running to avoid it getting stuck at bootup?