64-bit Precise Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
hjb981

64-bit Precise Puppy

#1 Post by hjb981 »

I would like to use the newly released Precise Puppy, with its compatibility with the Ubuntu repositories. One of the things I would like to do is to run Rawtherapee (RT) with large raw files, which requires a lot of memory. They recommend using a 64-bit OS on the RT website because of memory handling. I would prefer to run Puppy because of its trimmed-down size, but I would need it to be 64 bit.

My question is: Now that all the work has been done to make a Puppy out of the latest Ubuntu, could the process be repeated with the 64-bit Ubuntu as the "input" instead of the 32-bit version? Or would it have to be redone (and in that case I would really be grateful for an explanation, since I am no expert at this)?

I am aware that there is PAE in the 32-bit Precise Puppy, but I do not think that PAE solves the memory issues in 32-bit systems for Rawtherapee (although I may be wrong, in which case please correct).

I know that there is a 64-bit Puppy called Fatdog, but I cannot find information on what repositories it is compatible with, and it seems to be less common and less well documented. I would prefer to just use the "main" Puppy in 64-bit version.

Please bear with me although I may ask very basic questions. I would really appreciate any explanations that would help to clarify the above.

/Jonas

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

Hi Jonas,

PAE can address 4gig of memory at a time. You'd be best to give it a go, as I doubt you'd ever actually need more than that using Rawtherapee, or just about any other program.

To make a 64bit version of Precise would be a ground up build, not just something simple. Every part of it would have to be re-compiled in a 64bit environment, and tested, which is month's worth of work.