First impression from a real newbie on first romp with Puppy

Promote Puppy !
Bic

First impression from a real newbie on first romp with Puppy

#1 Post by Bic »

Puppy is amazing. I downloaded it and burnt the disk and ran it from disk just today on a Windows box. My first experience with other than Windows, which I've always used more or less as an appliance; that is, even after many years, such tasks as running a checksum and burning an .iso onto disk and distinguishing between Boot Menu and Setup when I want to look at BIOS settings... they all go slowly because I've been doing such things very rarely. So, how great it was...

Going in, everything with Puppy went faster than promised. I was impressed to have a whole new system available at *amazing speed* from the CD. Me, myself and I was obviously by far the slowest link in the chain.

In the first use configuration dialog, I had a problem with setting my time zone/the clock. Puppy incorrectly thinks Bangkok is +8 hours (it's +7).

The closing dialogs and processes "on first shutdown" seemed to take forever compared to Puppy having had the internet connection configured all by itself practically before I could open the browser. I would have liked it a lot if I knew I had the choice to run through those choices and processes again on the second or third shutdowns, but Puppy makes it seem like now or never. (Maybe just keep showing them in future shutdowns until user clicks on "Don't show this dialog again"?) For all I know, that might even happen, will have to see then.

Creating the save file took a long time and the drive choices, being written in Linuxese were practically unintelligible to a newbie (No "C" "D" or "F" or "USB" Drive to be seen.) I think I got it onto the USB because I saw "Fat32" and knew that must be my USB stick. I really didn't have anything that needed saving. Would have been nice to think that dialog might re-appear on the second shutdown too. Maybe it was just me and the fact I was hungry and had other things to do, but I felt pushed into a process that took much longer than expected.

Of course, anyone at all familiar with the process can cruise through confident of their choices and consequences; not so with someone on their first romp.

Same with the copying of .sfs files onto disk. Took awhile and I would have rather made the choices next time. In retrospect, maybe I should have, but don't have the dialog wording before me to think why I felt pushed... I think because I wouldn't have another chance via a simple dialog.

Anyway, if I didn't think Puppy was something truly special, I wouldn't take the time to try share the experiences of this old man who finally had a chance to test drive Puppy. I have the utmost respect for the people that made (and are making) Puppy happen. Thank you for all your dedication and efforts. I'm looking forward to more time with Puppy. :D

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Bic:

Welcome to Puppy mate and thanks for your report from a
Newby perspective.

Cheers.....Chris.