GRUB4DOS for Multiboot of Puppy in USB Drive

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
umair

GRUB4DOS for Multiboot of Puppy in USB Drive

#1 Post by umair »

Update: 19-August-2014: I have updated new screenshots from KUST OS 15.1 based on X-Precise 2.1 as old screenshots were deleted due to the huge size

I was interested to use my 2 GB usb drive as multi boot of different puppy linux flavors. I searched on the forum and found Multipup.pet for this purpose. But it was very hard to me to configure (I think it will take time to learn the technique of Multi pup or may be I was not able to find a proper documentation of). So I decided to do this with GRUB4DOS program and believe me It was very easy for me to configure. I want to share this information for a users like me :-)

STEP1: Use Any of puppy linux version which already have GRUB4DOS. I used KUST OS 15.1 based on X-Precise 2.1. If ur puppy linux doesn't have GRUB4DOS, you may find the .pet here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697.

Run GRUB4DOS from the Menue->system option than select your desired USB Flash Drive as U can see in Screenshots:

STEP2: Click on OK, it will search the desired puppy installations (if any) in your usb thn creats a menu.lst. Just go for default settings and in the last click exit.

STEP3: After above step you successfully installed the GRUB4DOS in ur USB drive. Its time to edit your menu.lst file, which you can find in your USB drive. I m posting the screen shot. heres my menu list entry:
(NOTE: Make a directory/folder in your drive according to your settings. uncompressed the ISO of any puppy linux which you want in your Flash Drive, I used file roller for this. Extract to the folder which you created. I created lupu for lucid puppy 525, polar for Polar pup and so on........)
Menu Entry is below:
# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.7.1
color blue/cyan yellow/blue white/black cyan/black
timeout 10
default 0

# Frugal installed Puppy

title Lucid pup
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /lupu/vmlinuz PMEDIA=usbflash PDEV1=sdb1 psubdir=lupu pfix=fsck
initrd /lupu/initrd.gz

title Polar Pup
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /polar/vmlinuz PMEDIA=usbflash PDEV1=sdb1 psubdir=polar pfix=fsck
initrd /polar/initrd.gz

title FAT Slako
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /fatslako/vmlinuz PMEDIA=usbflash PDEV1=sdb1 psubdir=fatslako pfix=fsck
initrd /fatslako/initrd.gz

title Carolina
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /carolina/vmlinuz PMEDIA=usbflash PDEV1=sdb1 psubdir=carolina pfix=fsck
initrd /carolina/initrd.gz

title Wary Pup
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /wary/vmlinuz PMEDIA=usbflash PDEV1=sdb1 psubdir=wary pfix=fsck
initrd /wary/initrd.gz

title Find Grub menu on HDD
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map --hook
errorcheck off
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /menu.lst && configfile /menu.lst
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/menu.lst && configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /grub/menu.lst && configfile /grub/menu.lst
errorcheck on
commandline
title Find Grub2\nBoot up grub2 if installed
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/core.img
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
title Grub4Dos commandline\n(for experts only)
commandline
title Reboot computer
reboot
title Halt computer
halt

STEP4: Delete your menu.lst text and paste above in your menu.lst file. Save the file and Exit.
THATS IT. AT THIS POINT YOU JUST CONVERTED YOUR USB DRIVE TO USE MULTIPLE PUPPY LINUX FLAVOURS IN ONE USB DRIVE.

Hope that it will be useful for puppy linux users.
Best Regards
UMAIR
Attachments
Screenshot-13.png
(239.56 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Screenshot-14.png
(230.55 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Screenshot-15.png
(210.68 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Screenshot-16.png
(246.17 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Screenshot-17.png
(244.48 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Last edited by umair on Tue 18 Aug 2015, 06:30, edited 6 times in total.

KJ

#2 Post by KJ »

Thanks for the Info. Did you reformat the flash-drive? Is each Puppy version on a separate partition? Thanks KJ

umair

#3 Post by umair »

KJ wrote:Thanks for the Info. Did you reformat the flash-drive? Is each Puppy version on a separate partition? Thanks KJ
Hi KJ:
U dont need to format or reformat your usb drive for this. Also no need to create separate partitions for each puppy. You can place all your linux puppies in a single partition but ofcourse in a separate folder/directory. It is also to mention that your previous USB data will not be effected using GRUB4DOS. I did this previously many times without loosing any data.
Hope that you got the point.
UMAIR
Last edited by umair on Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

KJ

#4 Post by KJ »

umair ..... Thanks for the quick response. Looked interesting, so I gave it a quick try ..... works great and much easier than the partitioned method I was using. Thanks again. KJ
Last edited by KJ on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

umair

#5 Post by umair »

KJ wrote:umair ..... Thanks for the quick response. Looked interesting, so I gave it a quick try ..... works great and much easier that the partitioned method I was using. Thanks again. KJ
Glade to know that worked for you :-). I am sure many users will find this very easy to setup as you.
Regards
UMAIR

puppyluvr

#6 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
@umair,
When I created MultiPup Grub4dos was new to me, and I had not used it.
I am in the process of rebuilding it to include several changes created by other Dev`s,
to make it more compatible with newer Xfce Pups with Thunar..
And a new button, "Install to USB", will be included for those with Grub4dos installed..
I still use Legacy Grub 1, and have for 5 years..
Agreed, I need better documentation in MultiPup, though it was created to be as user friendly
as possible. The "readme" will be replaced with an html page with all the faq`s and tips from the Forum thread, the brilliant suggestions from other Dev`s, and most of this thread, as you have made very clear instructions here, and I never reinvent the wheel.. :wink:
With a few alterations, MultiPup will be able to automate the Grub menu process for Grub4dos, a major relief to many users..
Anyhow, nice post, and thanks for the reminder to get on to fixing MultiPup..
8)
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

umair

#7 Post by umair »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
@umair,
When I created MultiPup Grub4dos was new to me, and I had not used it.
I am in the process of rebuilding it to include several changes created by other Dev`s,
to make it more compatible with newer Xfce Pups with Thunar..
And a new button, "Install to USB", will be included for those with Grub4dos installed..
I still use Legacy Grub 1, and have for 5 years..
Agreed, I need better documentation in MultiPup, though it was created to be as user friendly
as possible. The "readme" will be replaced with an html page with all the faq`s and tips from the Forum thread, the brilliant suggestions from other Dev`s, and most of this thread, as you have made very clear instructions here, and I never reinvent the wheel.. :wink:
With a few alterations, MultiPup will be able to automate the Grub menu process for Grub4dos, a major relief to many users..
Anyhow, nice post, and thanks for the reminder to get on to fixing MultiPup..
8)
Hi Puppyluvr:
Thanks for appreciation and sharing your ideas. Will wait for your polished multipup ;).
Regards
UMAIR