Positioning new icon on desktop with installer.

Using applications, configuring, problems
sunburnt

Positioning new icon on desktop with installer.

#1 Post by sunburnt »

The file: /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin has the setup code to place icons on ROXs desktop.
How to know were to place a new icon on the desktop without putting it over the top of an existing one?

Is there a utility script that handles this, or does each install package (DotPup, etc.) have to do it itself?
By do it itself... parse the PuppyPin file for all the used positions to decide where to place the new one.

There's so many Window Managers that in Puppy1 it's a pain to try to make menu entries for them all.
In Puppy2 there's a unified Window Manager menu being developed, THAT'S GREAT!!!

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

None that I know about.

I've thought about it but as I don't really like icons on the desktop it's not been a priority. I actually dislike installers that put things on my desktop without asking.

If you create it I am sure that people will use it. I don't think that the calculations would be too difficult as we are using standard sizes for the icons. I think that your challenge will be with the screen resolution.

Oh, and if you implement it, please, have the script ask the user if they want an icon on the desktop.

An alternative that I like is showing rox on a folder where the executable (or a link) is installed so the user can drag it to the desktop if he/she chooses too.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

rarsa; Yes, most of the dotpups etc. popup ROX with the exe. to offer for dragging to the desktop, a good way to do it.

The purpose here is for PupServer installation, it has a tool box of GUI apps. for setup & config.
PupServer is ment to be kind of an appliance type PC, only for a Samba server & booting LanPups.
So being as it's a dedicated server PC, functionality is the only criteria, no one'll be looking at it.

NOW... to adapt PupServer to run on the common NAS devices everyones selling (EmbededPuppy?).
Then make web enabled versions of the GUIs, being as NAS units don't have video displays.
Then the NAS PupServer can be setup & configured from other PCs in the network.