First time went great, second boot won't restore personals

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Eadwine

First time went great, second boot won't restore personals

#1 Post by Eadwine »

I have made a few adaptations in Gaim and in Mozilla, and those settings should be saved back to the CD I wager. When I shut down the first time to make a reboot and see if it reloaded the settings, it all saved fine, on track 2.

Now I boot again, but no settings are restored... what am I missing? :)

#2 Post by Guest »

I know I am replying to myself here, I apologize for that, but, I forgot something and I have some added info.

I am using the puppy-1.0.3-mozilla.iso and a few friends have tried to save their settings back just a little while ago, and they ran into the same problem as I am..

If only that re-loading of the settings would work, I'd be a happy camper alright. It burned on the correct settings, booted just fine, ran just fine, and as said, track 2 was saved to, so... But just letting it boot and not touching anything doesn't do the trick.

What is this noob to Puppy doing wrong..

Eadwine

SOLVED

#3 Post by Eadwine »

While the md5sum checked out correct I figured I'd download again and do a new burn, exactly the same way as before.

The CD burned back, and when booting loaded my settings. I added some more settings, rebooted again and those new ones were now booted back as well.

I am setting everything up to my liking now, and I can say that the CD works :D

Good job!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Anonymous wrote:<> I know I am replying to myself here, I apologize for that, but, I forgot something and I have some added info. <>
No, it's great that you followed up on your original post.
While the md5sum checked out correct I figured I'd download again and do a new burn, exactly the same way as before.

The CD burned back, and when booting loaded my settings. I added some more settings, rebooted again and those new ones were now booted back as well.

I am setting everything up to my liking now, and I can say that the CD works Very Happy

Good job!
Could you tell us which burning program you used, and what settings (burn speed, etc.; anything you can remember might be helpful.) Thanks. :)

Eadwine

Burning multisession Puppy with K3b in Mepis

#5 Post by Eadwine »

But of course, and thank you for your kind reply :)

I have a topic going on the Mepislovers forums (since I run Mepis installed on my system, Puppy will be for traveling only) here. A number of people are trying to get this to work as well, it's a very nice little distro!

In short, how I did it is with these settings, using K3b in Mepis:

- download the iso from a Dutch mirror (I am in Holland after all :wink: )
- download the md5sum file to the same directory so K3b can automatically check if it is correct
- grab a regular CD-R, and burn as image to the cd (Tools - CD - Burn CD Image), with the following settings:
  • image type on auto detection
    burn speed at 4x
    writing mode on auto
    burnfree checked
    verify written data checked
    start multisession CD checked
    data mode on auto
Remember that this didn't work the first time, but the first time I was downloading (with d4x, mighty nifty bit of software) I changed the download speed a few times, and had to pause the download as well. It never gave a problem before but that might have been the tiny little difference that made the first burn settings-load-back not work.