Why can't I unzip a file from commandline? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
oldguy

Why can't I unzip a file from commandline? (Solved)

#1 Post by oldguy »

I originally had a problem with space to unzip a file, I received some valuable feedback, especially from rarsa. I was away and finally got the space expanded, but now cannot get the command to execute when I attempt to unzip the file, I did not have this problem previously. I have noted the messages and steps I have taken below. The x's are placehholders for the filename.

I am typing in the following in the console, rxvt;

/root/my-documents/xxx-xxx-9.1-2.tar.gz -zxf

and get

cannot execute binary file

I used Xarchive (the hard way, and then the easy way using pupzip) and verified the permissions and that all the files are in the tar.gz. I was able to unzip this file before I left, so I am not sure what I am doing differently. I was also looking for an unzip utility in Puppy 1.08 and everything seemed to point back to Xarchive to create comprressed files, not to extract them. Any help would be appreciated.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

You can use the tar unzip command from the command line.

If the file you wish to unzip is in /root/my-documents type in:

tar -zxf /root/my-documents/xxx-xxx.tar.gz

you must put the command first then the location of the file.
When the shell sees /root/my-documents/xxx-xxx.tar.gz -zxf it thinks you want to start a program where none exists.

oldguy

#3 Post by oldguy »

Thanks Ian, I figured it was something simple I was doing wrong. I got used to command line with DOS, but have not used Linux command line very much. Always thought some activities were easier with command line, gives you more control, than using gui. Sorry it took awhile to acknowledge your answer, but not always able to get a good connection.