ArchPup - Puppy based on Arch Linux

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Keef

#181 Post by Keef »

simargl

I can't exit X. 'Logout' (openbox --exit) just restarts X, and Ctrl-Alt-Backspace fails as well.
Also tried Ctrl-Alt-F2 etc to get to another TTY. Is the password still 'woofwoof'?- its not having it so it may be a silly question...
Ctrl-Alt-F4 gets me back to the X session, but the screen is dimmed for some reason. Need to logout (restart X) to get back to normal.

simargl

#182 Post by simargl »

To disable autologin you need to edit /etc/profle - just comment last 5 lines inside if statement.
I made that as temporary solution, but now I like automatic X login.
password is still woofwoof, to start Xorg use archpupx. :)

mavrothal

#183 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote: For problems with save file on USB, I will need some help from experienced users, simply
because I can't fix it myself. You see that rc.shutdown in ArchPup is very different than in other
Puppy, my idea is to, from that file with if statement (PUPMODE=13) call other script and
make savefile (add data to it) only on reboot/shutdown, if someone needs to save on USB .
There are few issues with the savefile in Archpup and one major question is to what extend to make it user-friendly/foolproof .

Currently the savefile generation script offers to save in any of the _mountable_ volumes but it does not mount them if not mounted. Instead makes the file in / and report success but of course the savefile is not there on reboot.

Regarding the save call in rc.shutdown should it only be for pupmode 13|7 and only if a savefile is generated beforehand (detection on first boot?-flag?) or also in pupmode 5, ie _suggest_ a savefile on first shutdown. The latter should also solve the panic issue in successive pupmode 13|7.

Another point is the ability to save at will. The layered file system gets messed up if you start adding and removing files (install uninstall) without intermediate saves.

In short there are several issues that need to be addressed if Archpup is to wok off removable drives that will likely involve more than a simple call in rc.shutdown.
Are you ok with this?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

James C

#184 Post by James C »

Still experimenting with ArchPup without many problems.... :)

Good work so far.
Attachments
Archpup.png
(194.09 KiB) Downloaded 1906 times

simargl

#185 Post by simargl »

Problem with openbox-menu is that it still doesn't work well with new menu-cache 0.4, and
thats why it make screen freeze if you load or unload sfs module. To fix that I compiled
older menu-cache version 0.3.3, and replaced arch package.
Making savefile on usb is now possible, but it needs some testing, so I will explain how this is
fixed in detail.
First in makepfile.sh I added this

Code: Select all

for i in $(blkid -o list | grep "(not mounted)" | sort | cut -d" " -f1 | grep -E -v "/loop|sr0" | sed 's|/dev/||g'); do
  if [ ! -d /mnt/$i ]; then mkdir /mnt/$i; fi
  mount /dev/$i /mnt/$i
done
to mount all partitions. When savefiile is created this runs

mkdir /tmp/save
mount archpup/archsave.2fs /tmp/save
mkdir -p /tmp/save/etc/rc.d
cp -ax /etc/rc.d/* /tmp/save/etc/rc.d
umount /tmp/save
That will copy /etc/rc.d to every savefile and prevent kernel panic in pupmode13.
File /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown will call usbsave if pupmode is 13

if [[ $PUPMODE = 13 ]]; then usbsave; fi
and that will copy content inside /initrd/pup_rw to /initrd/pup_ro1

#!/bin/sh

cp -a /initrd/pup_rw/{bin,etc,lib,mnt,opt,root,sbin,usr,var} /initrd/pup_ro1
find /initrd/pup_ro1 -type f -name ".wh.*" -delete
This is tested and working but did I forget something. Plan is to ArchPup support pupmode 5,12 and 13.

mavrothal

#186 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote: This is tested and working but did I forget something. Plan is to ArchPup support pupmode 5,12 and 13.
Is a savefile creation prompt going to be presented at shutdown if the user did not make one?
If usbsave is called also in pupmode 5 then you may not need the /etc/rc.d/* save during savefile creation
Also you may consider running usbsave in pupmode 7 and 77 also. There is no need to run it at pupmode 12, since there the rw layer does not run in temps.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#187 Post by simargl »

You mean to mount savefile on /initrd/pup_ro1, and add to rc.shutdown

if [[ $PUPMODE = 5 ]]; then usbsave; fi 
Then the session will also be saved on first reboot. But if savefile is not created during that session,
then this should not run, it would be just waste of time. For this to work makepfile.sh should also
create some file (in /tmp), if archsave.2fs is created successfully, so that rc.shutdown can
save data on first reboot only if that file is present.
For savefile creation dialog at shutdown, I don't think it's necessary, everyone can find it in menu.

phil66

#188 Post by phil66 »

Hi Simargl

I have no windows o/s my pc is strictly Linux (Ubuntu,Mageia,Puppy lucid)

I do not wish to use virtual box I want a cd that I can use on other Pc's

This is a good burner as I am able to burn o/s's such as slacko-5.4 precise-5.4 carolina-0.0.3 and other puppy's

My question now is wether I have the proper iso to download and burn to cd/rw

A link to your application would be appreciated

simargl

#189 Post by simargl »

Whatever you used to burn "slacko-5.4 precise-5.4 carolina-0.0.3 and other puppy's "
will be ok for archpup, it works for everyone else should work for you. I was trying to help
and suggest some other options to test iso or boot from usb. Good luck.

Q5sys

Re: ArchPup - Puppy based on Arch Linux

#190 Post by Q5sys »

any chance of you making a 64bit release as well? or are you sticking strictly with 32bit?

simargl

Re: ArchPup - Puppy based on Arch Linux

#191 Post by simargl »

Q5sys wrote:any chance of you making a 64bit release as well? or are you sticking strictly with 32bit?
I can't make 64-bit release, because can't use or test it on PC with that processor.

ickefes

#192 Post by ickefes »

Thank you forthis really fast and responsive distro. I have two questions though. Can you include a better wireless manager that actually tries to connect and could someone give a short guide explaining how to install and use another desktop environment? Regards.

stifiling

#193 Post by stifiling »

ickefes wrote:Thank you forthis really fast and responsive distro. I have two questions though. Can you include a better wireless manager that actually tries to connect and could someone give a short guide explaining how to install and use another desktop environment? Regards.
join us in the other thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83064

but to install another DE, u can create a save file and run the command "pacman -S DE"
So that's:
pacman -S xfce4
pacman -S lxde
pacman -S kdebase-workspace

whichever one u want. or u can use the new arch2sfs to make an sfs file out of the DE u'd like to use. arch2sfs is included in the new archpup 12.12.1

using the arch2sfs will 'compress' the DE into an sfs file...which in turn, will take a load less hard drive space vs. using a save file. but both ways work, and work well.

or if u're using a full installation vs a frugal one...you can just install it with the "pacman -S" command I illustrated above.

if those instructions are too vague, or u run into a problem getting the DE of choice installed...jus let us know, we'll walk you through it.

nooby

#194 Post by nooby »

simargl wrote:Thanks for reply :D

Inside root folder you have hidden file .start. To change keyboard layout replace:
setxkbmap bs &
with
setxkbmap us &

I guess such only works if one make a pupsave file?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#195 Post by nooby »

Archpup latest version worked well
but most likely me did not have noveo
not sure because the file program lagged
when one moved it over the screen.
ROX does not do that in JWM.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

oui

is ArchPup yet in use?

#196 Post by oui »

Hi

I will now use a little German software. Little but it needs Py VERSION 3. :x
I was often in that situation:
no way to extend easily the scope of software in my actual Puppy.

Sigmarl did deliver us last year in great manner from this terrible addiction to old software versions by giving us a system with an almost perfect installer compatible with a great distro, Arch Linux and only less as 1 year old scope of utilities in it!

Is someone using yet often some ArchPup version as his lovely distro for his regular PC activity?

Which version?

oui

#197 Post by oui »

concerns also that

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83064

pls continue in this thread!

actual download point for people missing the distro and regretting all the evolution:

https://ia601709.us.archive.org/17/item ... x_Archpup/

but no devx etc...

antilet

#198 Post by antilet »

If someone is interested i have archdev_132.sfs on my harddrive...
[color=blue][size=75]Toshiba Satallite M30X-124 | ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 | Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Most Linux need special boot options to boot on this laptop: i8042.nomux=1 highres=off nohz=off irqpoll[/size][/color]

ally

#199 Post by ally »

hey oui

that's my fault! if anybody has devx's please upload them to archive.org and contact admin and ask to have them transferred to the above page

or send them to me....

regards

ally :)

antilet

#200 Post by antilet »

ally wrote:... if anybody has devx's please upload them to archive.org ...
I don't have a login for archive.org.
For all - who need the archdev_132.sfs, I [have] had it uploaded into my GDrive [- just follow the Link...]
It is now in the Puppy_Linux_Archpup - Archive (see Link above)
Last edited by antilet on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue][size=75]Toshiba Satallite M30X-124 | ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 | Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Most Linux need special boot options to boot on this laptop: i8042.nomux=1 highres=off nohz=off irqpoll[/size][/color]