ArchPup - Puppy based on Arch Linux

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stifiling

#31 Post by stifiling »

i couldn't get my wireless working on archpup. I then started tinkering around and copied the pacman files out of the sfs and into PreciseNOP. It appears to be working about 95% close to perfect.

I installed some of the hardest programs that i use, trying to break it, and successfully installed, using pacman all that i tried which is:
guake
clementine
xbmc
smplayer
geany
leafpad
galculator
pulseaudio
pavucontrol
terminator

(wonder if it'll successfully install compiz or xfce?)
I'm messing with yaourt now. Once again. thanks for opening a new door.

simargl

#32 Post by simargl »

Hello stifiling,
Could you please test this in PreciseNOP?

Stop your wireless interface and try to bring it up with this:

iwconfig wlan0 channel auto
dhcpcd wlan0

If that's working I will add wireless_tools and make this two lines
into service to start it on boot.

simargl

#33 Post by simargl »

It's very important that someone test wireless connection using code in previous post,
found it on Arch wiki but can't check myself. It will not work in Archpup because I planned it for only personal
use and disabled some stuff in kernel config (wireless, bluetooth, some filesystems ... ). New version will have
kernel 3.6.8 and use default config from Puppy precise.

stifiling

#34 Post by stifiling »

i ran those two commands on PreciseNOP and here's the output:

# iwconfig wlan0 channel auto
# dhcpcd wlan0
dhcpcd: version 5.1.5 starting
dhcpcd: wlan0: waiting for carrier
dhcpcd: timed out
dhcpcd: allowing 8 seconds for IPv4LL timeout
dhcpcd: timed out
#

I had also installed blueman, chromium, and epiphany (using pacman in PreciseNOP) and they worked...but started complaining about 'org.blueman.Mechanism missing .service file' and other similar errors about org.* missing .service files.

ajbibb

#35 Post by ajbibb »

I'm not following this super closely so my comments may just muddy the water instead of helping.

If your wireless card has an old Broadcom chip you may need to build and install the b43 package from the AUR, and install the package b43-fwcutter from the official repositories. You need both if this is the case.

In reading around the internet needing the old Broadcom chip packages sounds sort of rare, but I'm batting 3 for 3 in needing these packages on wireless cards I've tried to get running. I was going to attach the AUR package prebuilt, but it has a .xz extension and that apparently is not allowed.

The .service files are all systemd stuff. Don't know if any of it is critical or not.

oui

a magistral work!

#36 Post by oui »

Hi Simargl

You present us a really magistral work!

I am certain, that this work can be decisive for Puppy:

Back to a real Puppy size!

A Basic Version again without forced question about making or not a save file, without ballast!

Thank you very much!

In case you will fat your puppy in the future, please, be so kind and preserve us this (eventually actualized) Basic Version in parallel!

I did not understand why you did include no application (is very well :idea: ! let it so, please :!: ) but the big Geany (nano is there, it is enough to start!) and a different graphic file manager as we are accustomed to use in Puppy?

How to erase it with all his specific dependencies not used by other applications?

Good luck for your development activity!

Kind regards

PS: I would hope the moderator would transfer this thread to the section "Puppy project" as it is an important step to go back to a real puppy size and not continue to build "sumo puppies"

oui

#37 Post by oui »

Next wishes:

a/ your recommendations:

You can, we can't, edit your first message again!

It would be a good thing to repeat all your main recommendations in short form at the end of the first message because the threads in Puppy have the terrible unpleasant many to reach terrible sizes. After that, newbies are not able any more to get compact information!

If you directly copy the code etc. of your answering message and copy it at this central place of the thread it is no supplementary effort for you at answering time instead a lot of unpleasant effort for all future users (or for you, if this forces you to write a special tutor to make your work better!)

b/ how did you build your special extremely small puplet?

(ArchPup from Scratch :?: :idea: ; perhaps a new thread for that?)

can we help / contribute?

Bye

musher0

#38 Post by musher0 »

Hi, oui.

I believe the author has explained in broad terms how he constructed his ArchPup 1024 in the middle of page 2 (previous page).

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

oui

#39 Post by oui »

Thank you very much for the «tape sur l'épaule: on ne rajeunit pas...» Musher!

see also please:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 810#667810

simargl

#40 Post by simargl »

New version is finished and uploading...
I added Pwireless2 http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 694#360694 although completely untested.
Will post links on first page when it uploads..

mavrothal

#41 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:New version is finished and uploading...
Super :D
Do you plan to provide a devx sfs? Downloading the devel packages really takes a lot of space (since they are uncompressed) in the save file.

But we certainly need the kernel-headers since any (driver) compiling fails with

Code: Select all

C processor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
and the config.log says
/usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:39:26: fatal error: linux/limits.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
BTW, I had to update the glibc from the Arch repo to work. Is ArchPup using a modified/overstripped glibc?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#42 Post by simargl »

New version plus development add-on and kernel source are available
for download. See first post...

@mavrothal: When main sfs file is created folowing is moved to
package called arch-dev: /usr/include,/usr/share/aclocal,/usr/lib/pkgconfig,
/usr/lib/*.a,/usr/share/gir-1.0. Size of that package is arount 15MB.

oui

#43 Post by oui »

Hi Simargl

I did remaster ArchPup1204 for me with Iceape 2.7.7, flashplayer, and a small version from Puppy Linux of OO 2.2 (as it is really enough for me) without Java. Including, of course, /root/.start with my keyboard map (us_intl which is VERY different from the same us_intl in the most other distributions including Puppy! a great among of special char seems not to be available at all; if it is the same with the most keyboard maps it would mean that all user will have great acustumation difficulties; perhaps it is only a matter of short name of keyboard maps?)

I have now to extend my menu with soffice scalc swriter and simpress.

But I was estonished don't to find mksquashfs to rebuild my arch-1204.sfs (size is now 260 MB according Thunar). Did you use an other tool to build the arch-1204.sfs (I did make it with an other Puppy with mksquashfs of /usr/sbin from the other Puppy, but it is really not the best solution)?

Kind regards
Last edited by oui on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 21:16, edited 2 times in total.

simargl

#44 Post by simargl »

Hello oui,

mksquashfs command is in development add-on, but you
can install it with pacman -S squashfs-tools. Good luck with remaster :D

oui

#45 Post by oui »

Hi Simargl

Thank you very much. I is already remastered and works (I am using it now :wink: )!

Keyboard:
perhaps it is only a matter of short name of keyboard maps?

My own version:
I will include later in my own version a /root/.mozilla/seamonkey with a content with a few of my lovely url's, pseudonyms and passwords to work totaly without save file and for this reason without indiscret history etc., starting each day with minimal private date equipment for maximal discretion!

this is the reason why I would not like to be asked each day as in other puppy's if I will create a save file :wink: . I will no save file for maximal security: I save using thunar or the file managers included in the applications only the documents. No history, no dot-something-file, no cookies from the day before!!

Kind regards

oui

#46 Post by oui »

Oh!

I am happy! I see that Iceape can show videos like

http://france3.fr/jt/20h

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HqQoLq5c2c

good!

mavrothal

#47 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:@mavrothal: When main sfs file is created folowing is moved to
package called arch-dev: /usr/include,/usr/share/aclocal,/usr/lib/pkgconfig,
/usr/lib/*.a,/usr/share/gir-1.0. Size of that package is arount 15MB.
The comments were for 1204. 1204-1 with dev-archpup loaded, works just fine OOB for compiling :D

You may want to add Xdialog and gktdialog-splash in a future release since a lot of puppy apps/scripts are using them.

One problem I had is the absence of /dev/pts and /dev/shm from the build. This resulted in one of my machines failing to boot to the desktop (retrying for ever...), while another got to the desktop OK but failed to open the terminal (that gave me the hint about /dev/pts)
Adding "mkdir /dev/pts" and "mount /dev/pts" in /root/.start solved both problems!

To that end, would be nice if there was some way to drop to console in ArchPup. Debugging would be much easier :wink:

Coming to the wireless, Pwireless works (as a program) but loading the interface has issues, because "it can not find the firmware" (libertas_sdio and usb8xxx). However, the firmware and the kernel modules are there (and known to work in every other puppy). I assume that is has to do with the rc.sysinit (or maybe udev) but did not have time to look at it yet.

Other than that, looks good!
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

oui

#48 Post by oui »

Hi Simargl

I miss actually a very important hability in the system: It refuses to manage https pages because it did not found some PSM (personal security management). I find it is a major equipment for all personal linuxes (and a lot of special linuxes dedicaced to reduced functions like server etc.).

Next question is, there is no printer and no scanner! This is a thing that is admissible as you have SFS-load-on-fly. But your system needs somewhat (a SFS for printing through CUPS, Gutenprint, Xsane and Gnu-OCR; it is a little tricky because of the dependences, if I remenber right Samba as well as Gimp belong as a lot of other big things to the dependencies, and it has usually to start as demon)!

I don't find. that both, PSM included, and SFS for printing/scanner, would be somewhat that the user post install using the Arch's package manager...

Kind regards

simargl

#49 Post by simargl »

One problem I had is the absence of /dev/pts and /dev/shm from the build. This resulted in one of my machines failing to boot to the desktop (retrying for ever...), while another got to the desktop OK but failed to open the terminal (that gave me the hint about /dev/pts)
Adding "mkdir /dev/pts" and "mount /dev/pts" in /root/.start solved both problems!
In early stage experimenting with Archpup I tried to use all default dev entries from woof.
System would boot, but terminal didn't start with same error (missing /dev/pts). After that fixed
there was no sound, alsamixer complained about missing /dev/mixer, so I decided to remove all
dev entries and edit sysinit.rc so it will populate dev automatically during boot.
To that end, would be nice if there was some way to drop to console in ArchPup. Debugging would be much easier
Currently Xorg is started from /etc/profile with this:

if [ ! -f /usr/bin/X ]; then
  echo "Sorry, cannot start X. Link /usr/bin/X missing."
else
  exec archpupx
fi
If I replace it to start X only once (on boot):

if [ ! -f /usr/bin/X ]; then
  echo "Sorry, cannot start X. Link /usr/bin/X missing."
else
  if [ ! -f /tmp/runonce ]; then
  touch /tmp/runonce
  exec archpupx
  fi
fi
... it would work one time and not another. Perhaps someone can help.

@oui : If you have problems accessing https web pages, you might try firefox, its working here..

mavrothal

#50 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:
In early stage experimenting with Archpup I tried to use all default dev entries from woof.
System would boot, but terminal didn't start with same error (missing /dev/pts). After that fixed
there was no sound, alsamixer complained about missing /dev/mixer, so I decided to remove all
dev entries and edit sysinit.rc so it will populate dev automatically during boot.
Adding *just* the mount point folders and not any devices in dev does not affect other functions (at least at my end). I think udev can not make these mount points if absent. /dev/shm is needed in case you implement the fscheck function of puppy.