NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet (SOLVED)

topaz

NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet (SOLVED)

#1 Post by topaz »

Hi
Trying to convert a friend
His Ethernet card is reporting NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet in xp device manager.

Has any one had any success with this card as I cant find anything on the web.

Thanks in a dvance
Last edited by topaz on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

nForce ethernet devices have been successfully used with Puppy for a long time, using the "forcedeth" driver which has been included in Puppy as far back as Puppy v2.0 in 2006.
I don't see why an nForce ethernet interface should be considered any more of a problem than any other hardware component in your friend's computer.

If you want hardware compatibility advice relating to your friend's computer, please, at least tell us what that computer is!!

Better still, don't overthink the whole thing - just pop a Puppy CD in the tray (preferably the latest official release) boot up, and run the Network Wizard.
Chances are you will have Puppy up and running in less time than it will take you to write another post.
Even in the unlikely event that Puppy fails to work properly, there's no harm done - you're only running in RAM, and unless you run the installation wizard, you won't have written anything to your friend's hard drive.

topaz

#3 Post by topaz »

Hi Thanks for your reply
Tempestuous
Just asking the question
Have never come across a nvidia ethernet before.
Will post success and computer specs in the next few days as im in the UK and the PC is in the usa

"Better still, don't overthink the whole thing - just pop a Puppy CD in the tray (preferably the latest official release)"

Yes thats what i will do.

PS my work is with puppy linux
just did not know that nvidia made ethernet chips!!!!!!!!

topaz

#4 Post by topaz »

Works fine thanks