Password Manager does not start

Booting, installing, newbie
friendofjane

Password Manager does not start

#1 Post by friendofjane »

Hello,

Some days ago I did a frugal install of Precise Puppy 5.4.1 on the harddisk of my old pc, then I installed Grub and after some work on it puppy starts with the grub boot menu. I created a save session file and start to play with, to discover this distribution. It's real fast this Puppy!
I'm not a total beginner with Linux (I use OpenSuse) but new to Puppy.

Then I tried to get along with the programs coming with the installation. On other computers I use KeePassX for password managing and I saw that Puppy has its own password manager. So far so good. I wanted to check out if the Password Manager of Puppy can import a KeePassX database. After two or three program calls of the puppy password manager the program didn't start any more. I don't know what I could have done wrong. When I call the program in a konsole window (I forgot the program name, pwm2 or sth like that) I get an error message like "can't find the file logo.gif".

Do you know this error - I don't find this error message with google - or do you have an idea how I could repair it? Perhaps start Puppy with live CD and try to find the missing logo file, copy and put it on the Puppy installed on the harddisk?

Or perhaps you can tell me that the Password Manager of Puppy does not import a KeePassX database, in this case I could uninstall this program and try to install KeePassX (coming from Debian I think) ?

I apologize if my english is some clumsy, it's not my first language.

Thank you.

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Hi friendofjane, welcome to the forum 8)

There have been some attempts to use KeePassX on Puppy, search the forum, I think Qt is needed.
When I call the program in a konsole window (I forgot the program name, pwm2 or sth like that) I get an error message like "can't find the file logo.gif".
This could be because is expecting to run from a specific folder. Can you look up the exact name? I can't find the program on my Puppy.

:twisted:

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

DC- I think the OP's referring to :wink: fpm2. KeePassX could be installed as it's in the LTS repos..

friendofjane

#4 Post by friendofjane »

Hi,

and thank you for your answers.
semme wrote: DC- I think the OP's referring to Wink fpm2
Yes, you're right.

Meanwhile I tried to import my KeePassX database into the puppy password manager (fpm2) : fmp2 asks for an xml-file to import, so I exported the KeePassX DB to a xml-file, but the import of this xml-file doesn't work, the file format does not match. So there is the answer of one question.

Then I tried to install KeePassX but I didn't succeed. During the install process many depending libraries were searched and the repository manager dit not find them.

After the failed installation of KeePassX I now have a new problem: when I call the install-programm, I see a message for a very short time on the screen and the install-programm doesn't start. :?
There must be something corrupted.

A frugal installation can, I guess, simply be repaired. Perhaps only delete the puppy save file or overcopy one of the files, I will read the documentation before I'll bother you.

By the way, may I tell you a llittle story about how Puppy has yet helped me ?

In my PC with which I work daily one of the hard disks didn't work any more. The BIOS saw the damaged hard disk (hd) but every file manager got frozen when I clicked on the hd and in "properties" somwhere the hd showed a capacity of 0 Megabytes; all data on this hd was lost or inaccessible.

I searched a while and I found similar problems on the net, a corrupted superblock could be the reason of this problem. One guy explained a method on his blog how to repair or to restore a corrupted superblock of a hard disk. I didn't know anything about this staff and I tried his method. I installed the broken hd in my old PC and booted on a Puppy live CD.

With Puppy I could work on the hd with console commands and the partition manager. After some commands the hd reworked normally and I could save my files on it, I burned the data on 3 DVDs.

This was one of my first experiences with puppy, I was happy! Puppy has a good parition manager, a burning program, a text editor, really things one needs to solve problems. Now the repaired hd stays in the old PC. It is very useful to have a working computer in reserve !