Dead windows OS, need to retrieve files from drives

Booting, installing, newbie
Atle

#16 Post by Atle »

rcrsn51...

I have had some problems some times with this kind of programs that I use only in emergency.

Having a good old Live CD with Puppy is the major tool anyway, and those times I have given away mine, I feel like naked and unable to "just fix things" on the fly or make a bootable USB from a Puppy CD.

That said, the most useful tool is to have your mobile phone(if possible) as a bootable USB device as cables are mostly present everywhere you are and so is then Puppy:-)

bhruss

#17 Post by bhruss »

Atle wrote:
The thing here is that once you got one CD or even use a Windows program to create a bootable USB... You do not NEED the converter for SATA drives as the files can just stay on the disks you have present. No need to move or pay anything.

Just boot it up, clean out one drive using Gparted, and then move the files you like to keep from the non deleted drive to the one you just deleted and made into NTFS or whatever, and your clear to go:-)

Adapters from SATA to USB is not for free... Puppy on a USB flash drive that you probably already have, is FREE...
I bought the adapter for $ 11.00. This gives her immediate access to her files while we work out the Puppy thing. I can mount it in another windows computer that is running and has printers, scanners, email, etc already set up. I am going to have to replace the hard drives anyway (except the storage only drive, which is new), so I might just as well do it before I install puppy permanently on it.