Fatdog64-611 Final (Updated 12-14-2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
irishrm

#16 Post by irishrm »

kirk:
jamesbond:

My install was a clean install with a new savefile.

Just to be sure I booted to savefile=none.

Not able to establish a connection.

did depmod first.

Then modprobe lib80211.

then insmod /usr/share/broadcom/wl.ko.

same result.

dmesg attached.

The problem must be at my end so don't waste to much time trying to solve it.

Thanks irishrm.
Attachments
dmesg.zip
(9.96 KiB) Downloaded 966 times

jamesbond

#17 Post by jamesbond »

- nvidia driver posted in mydrive.ch, see first page of this thread.
- iron browser 23.0.1300 sfs available on ibiblio and its mirrors.
- irishrm let me do a few more tests and get back to you. I assume you got the seamonkey iso?

EDIT: irishrm - please do this. It should work now.

Code: Select all

modprobe lib80211
modprobe cfg80211
insmod /usr/share/broadcom/wl.ko
cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

irishrm

#18 Post by irishrm »

kirk:
jamesbond:

Your last code worked.
Did the required steps to connect and am now up and running.

I'm using the firefox iso.

Thanks to you both for sticking with it. It can't be easy having people asking for help all the time.

irishrm.

kirk

#19 Post by kirk »

Thanks James, I should have ran modinfo on the wl module to find that dependency.

Thanks for finding the bug and testing Irishrm. I've attached a pet that has the fixed /etc/init.d/BC-wl script that loads the wl module.

Only install this pet if you want to use the proprietary Broadcom wl driver because it's enabled by default.
Attachments
Broadcom-wl.pet
Only install this pet if you want to use the proprietary Broadcom wl driver.
(548 Bytes) Downloaded 1029 times

James C

#20 Post by James C »

Quick live test of Fatdog64-610 SeaMonkey.....all basics working ootb..... no problems yet.

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 3787MB (253MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Fatdog64 [683289d3a5]
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat Dec 1 14:09:23 2012
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on NV4C
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

Jim1911

#21 Post by Jim1911 »

Thanks for your super operating system. It's working great on my hardware. :D

Also, thank you for continuing to support Bibletime. See my post here.

Kudos, :D
Jim

James C

#22 Post by James C »

Since I'm feeling lazy today, I placed a savefile on an NTFS partition ...... no problem there either.All looking good so far. :)

jamesbond

#23 Post by jamesbond »

smokey01 found out that right-click "mediaplayer" on cd audio won't work. Here is the patch to make it work.
Attachments
play-cd.pet
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 926 times
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

prehistoric

old video problem bites me

#24 Post by prehistoric »

This is not anything new, but it hit me hard while testing 610. I was moving parts between machines while building a new one. At one point I borrowed the graphics card, and went back to the integrated graphics on the old machine.

If I were booting an old version, I would get into a situation where the old and new video did not match, dumping me into a text console where I could run xorgwizard. On a new installation, I could start with "pfix=nox, xorgwizard" to make sure I had a chance to fix graphics.

The catch here is that some kinds of video screw up when you try to use framebuffer video, as Fatdog does by default. (Another peeve of mine is that it tends to choose microscopic text when it finds a large monitor.) I want an option to avoid all modifications of original console video until I get a chance to configure.

I suppose it goes without saying that I have the problem of unintelligible video when I exit from X. There is also a complete lack of ways around this (as far as I can see.) if I boot with pfix=vesa. I can get a desktop, but still have no way to configure anything better.

This can't be an unusually rare problem, I have two motherboards with integrated graphics which need off-board graphics to run Fatdog: an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard with nVidia graphics and an MSI 880GM-E43 with ATI/AMD graphics. Some people with the same boards may not have the problem. This turns up because of tiny variations in timing in the shared memory and GPU. It has been around for a long time. (Anyone remember the i740 and i810?)

I've worked around this up until now, hoping that Fatdog would not have the problem after early teething problems were solved. Until I borrowed a graphics card for another build I had almost forgotten I was using workarounds.

The machine I'm building has to run W7 because that is what the people I'm building it for use. (Ugh!) During a weekend of frustration with gotchas in Windoze installation I've had far too many experiences of the "you can't get there from here" variety. Please save naive users of Fatdog from this.

kirk

#25 Post by kirk »

By default Intel, Nouveau (Nvidia), and ATI kernel modules load with KMS enabled. This is best way. In fact, the only way for most Intel and many of the others. These modules also need the framebuffer console modules loaded as well.

If you don't want KMS enabled and you don't want Xorg to start, on the kernel line put:

nomodeset pfix=nox
Once you boot, to run the old xorgwizard from Puppy, at the prompt type:

xorgwizard-old

To boot with Xorg using the Vesa driver, which usually means you're out of luck using the included open source drivers:

nomodeset pfix=vesa
I'll check on manually setting the vesa resolution.

prehistoric

#26 Post by prehistoric »

Just pulled graphics card from the machine with the Asus M2NVP-VM motherboard and ran off DVD with:

fatdog nomodeset pfix=nox savefile=none
This does show a standard text console all the way to the prompt.

At prompt ran xorgwizard-old.

Next problem, tried this with and without graphics card, and never succeeded in configuring much of anything. I keep getting the defective report screen with resolution and refresh rates missing at the end.

Both configurations have no trouble configuring X via text console under Lupu 5.28.005. (This uses the nv driver on the machine I'm currently testing.) Both the machines with problems have 8 GB RAM, so Fatdog is otherwise a natural. As far as I know there is no fundamental difference in graphics between 32 bit and 64 bit -- if you get to the right addresses.

Other comment: even if this worked, "nomodeset pfix=nox" and "xorgwizard-old" would not be anyone's first guess. What to try on difficult systems needs to be documented on the help screens at boot where it is possible to read.

Public perception of a computer wonk is something like the systems programmer in Jurassic park who left a logic bomb in the software which wouldn't give anyone control unless they said the "magic word". Wonder where people get these ideas?

gcmartin

#27 Post by gcmartin »

kirk wrote: ...To boot with Xorg using the Vesa driver, which usually means you're out of luck using the included open source drivers:

nomodeset pfix=vesa
I'll check on manually setting the vesa resolution.
I have a ASUS MSN2-SLI Deluxe board with a PCI-e nVivia 250 card.

Can I get VESA to go beyond 1024x768 in FATDOG? If so, how?

ALSO
@Shinobar makes an excellent FirstRUN script which summarizes much of our needs in a single screen. Its mature (over 3 yeas of development), friendly, and has excellent transparency and clarity. Can his utility be added to the control panel? Is there any specifics why it shouldn't be used? (REASON: For simple system start up, FATDOG has too many screens that MUST be interacted with to get the system to a point that his single screen does for us at any system start or its use.)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 03 Dec 2012, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#28 Post by Sage »

Sometimes, with difficult board/video/distro combos, I've had success of a sort using the cheat codes :
vga=normal screen=800x600

Of course, this only applies to the booting into the prompt; after that anything can happen. However, CTRL-ALT-BKSPCE will generally put you back to the prompt with visible 800x600 res. From there you can at least see what you're doing! Just keep trying various monitor/screen res. until you hit a winning combo. Try running max monitor setting with modest screen res. If all else fails you may be able to get a VESA picture. Then again....

prehistoric

#29 Post by prehistoric »

Follow-up: Just tried Precise Puppy 5.4.2, in case the problem was related to address extension. First, the automagic configuration worked. Second, booting with "pfix=nox,ram" took me to a text console from which xorgwizard ran as expected.

One time I booted with nothing but the integrated nVidia graphics, a second time I ran with off-board ATI graphics (Radeon 5450). The first ran with the nouveau driver, the second with the radeon driver.

When I forgot to reinsert the graphics card, once, I accidentally confirmed that Fatdog doesn't catch the change from the off-board graphics to integrated graphics, though it thinks it can handle it. I get a black screen with nothing but a cursor.

Any suggestions on other OSes to test which would help isolate the problem?

@Sage: you have to be careful about advice for ordinary puplets versus fatdog. The kernel arguments for booting are different. "vga=normal" was on my kernel line. I haven't tried the "screen" argument. Booting with "pfix=vesa" gets me to a desktop, but there appears to be no way to correct the problem with drivers.

@Sage and off-topic: when you tested puppy on that AMD socket 754 machine with SiS graphics were you perchance using something sold as the "ICE-CUBE"? I've got one which has been the source of considerable frustration. Problems getting a file to reflash that BIOS make me suspect the BIOS, and perhaps the design, was pirated.

gcmartin

#30 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Sage.

I'm not sure if you were offering for my post or if it was a general find that you were able to test.

But, if it was directed at advice for my post, then am I to assume that you are suggesting that the monitor is the problem with getting the system to spread out over the monitor surface at a higher resolution in VESA. Is that what you are trying to show? If that is the intent, is there something special, lacking in VESA as it cannot "see" the monitor or is there something else?

Thought I'd ask because of timeliness of your post. Thanks in advance

Sage

#31 Post by Sage »

What ho, pre!
No, neither of those boot codes originate from Puppies, although I've seen the vga=normal suggested somewhere about six months or more ago on this Forum. They were codes I used to use with Knoppix 1.0.0 ! But it was said somewhere that these are common to the Linux kernel. Any road up, they don't do any harm and I have had them work occasionally in the situations you describe.
As for the 754, - No. Mind you, I've had endless trouble with 939 BIOSes. Had to unsolder one once with an electric paint stripper, flash it externally using the /F (force) switch on an alien board, fit a socket and put the BIOS chip in that. It worked for a while, but it gradually dawned on me that the 939 is a design disaster, probably a stop-gap until the Phenom and multiple cores arrived. Not like AMD to pull a fast one like that. Shame really because the multiple core designs are an even bigger disaster, some of Intel's latest are devouring 120W. So much for their lies about running cooler. That is one dud company that has never conquered the thermal issues associated with faster, smaller and thinner - sometimes I even wonder if there's anyone there familiar with Ohm's/Kichoff's/ all-those-other-guys-Laws in school physics?!
The big attraction of 754 and 939 is they have two IDE ports. I was reading elsewhere today the old urban myths about SATA being trotted out again. Now, I'm not sure about SATAIII, but there is NO actual speed gain between ATA100 (ATA133 is like hen's teeth) and SATAI&II. If one reads very very carefully. it's the spec. for SATA that's a lot faster - real drives barely manage ATA transfer rates. It's the old rotating machinery paradox. In principal, SSSD s should be faster, but only if the bus can handle it and their lifetimes in terms of read-write cycles might be uncertain? Early flash memory was suspect in that regard, although I've had no problems with multiple writes. Perhaps we won't know for some years yet?

ggg

#32 Post by ggg »

DrDeaf

#33 Post by DrDeaf »

No known issues with 610. Everything works well, and 601 did as well. No optical drive installed, but this machine is booted clean from ISO to RAM.

I edited the hardware report extensively for brevity, but I'll post any further info if anyone wants. Again, this is just to say, no problems known with this hardware.

Processors-
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz : 1200.00MHz
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz : 2901.00MHz

Memory-
Total Memory : 16130616 kB
Free Memory : 15092068 kB
Buffers : 55536 kB
Cached : 461268 kB
Cached Swap : 0 kB
Active : 523404 kB
Inactive : 445112 kB
Active(anon) : 478944 kB
Inactive(anon) : 67188 kB
Active(file) : 44460 kB
Inactive(file) : 377924 kB

PCI Devices-
Host bridge : Intel Corporation Device 0154 (rev 09)
VGA compatible controller : Intel Corporation Device 0166 (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
USB Controller : Intel Corporation Device 1e31 (rev 04) (prog-if 30)
Communication controller : Intel Corporation Device 1e3a (rev 04)
Ethernet controller : Intel Corporation Device 1502 (rev 04)
USB Controller : Intel Corporation Device 1e2d (rev 04) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
Audio device : Intel Corporation Device 1e20 (rev 04)
PCI bridge : Intel Corporation Device 1e10 (rev c4) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
PCI bridge : Intel Corporation Device 1e12 (rev c4) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
PCI bridge : Intel Corporation Device 1e14 (rev c4) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
USB Controller : Intel Corporation Device 1e26 (rev 04) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
ISA bridge : Intel Corporation Device 1e55 (rev 04)
SATA controller : Intel Corporation Device 1e03 (rev 04) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
SMBus : Intel Corporation Device 1e22 (rev 04)
System peripheral : Ricoh Co Ltd Device e823 (rev 07) (prog-if 01)
Network controller : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8176 (rev 01)

USB Devices-
3.0 root hub

frankge

desktop icons

#34 Post by frankge »

Many thanks for you patience with this new kennel member. I am trying to find out about the security and accessibility of windows 7 64-bit drives which are seen as icons on the desktop of fatdog64 601 booted from a live cd.
Could you please help me understand the following: Clicking on said icons, mounted or unmounted, then right-clicking "edit item", a "locked" check box appears. Just exactly what will be locked. Does it lock the win 7 drive only in linux or does it carry over to windows?
Are there other methods available in fatdog64 to limit acces of windows drives?
I'appreciate your reply

rcrsn51

Re: desktop icons

#35 Post by rcrsn51 »

frankge wrote:I am trying to find out about the security and accessibility of windows 7 64-bit drives
There is no such thing as a "64-bit drive". Instead, you should refer to them by their filesystem type. They are probably NTFS.
Clicking on said icons, mounted or unmounted, then right-clicking "edit item", a "locked" check box appears.
If you click on any other desktop icon, you will see the same Locked option. It refers to the behaviour of the icon itself, not to how the drive is treated.
Does it lock the win 7 drive only in linux or does it carry over to windows?
Neither.
Are there other methods available in fatdog64 to limit acces of windows drives?
Here is a trick to make NTFS partitions read-only in Fatdog.

1. Go to the folder /bin
2. Rename the file ntfs-3g as ntfs-3g-xxx
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 04 Dec 2012, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.