Fatdog64-611 Final (Updated 12-14-2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

#271 Post by jamesbond »

gcmartin wrote:I wanted to know if FATDOG has KVM support in its system.
Of course. When running as root:
1. Check for CPU capability: from terminal type "lscpu"
2. To get it going: for AMD, type this on terminal "modprobe kvm-amd". For Intel, type this on terminal "modprobe kvm-intel"
3. Get the qemu package from the pet repo
4. On terminal, run qemu like this: "qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 1024 -cdrom fatdog.iso" and you're good to go.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gcmartin

#272 Post by gcmartin »

Code: Select all

# modprobe kvm-amd
# lscpu
sh: lscpu: command not found
# pwd
/root
# whoami
root
# lscpu
sh: lscpu: command not found
# uname -r
#
"lscpu" command doesn't return results. I think there is something wrong with my desktop's terminal. Same terminal window where I had duplication shown in earlier post.

Ideas anyone???

gcmartin

#273 Post by gcmartin »

There are several QEMU packages in the PPM. What's confusing is the ARM designation in the filename.. Is this the correct one to download for the X2 CPU?
Attachments
PPM selection appears to be error2.png
Is this the package....The PPM also has others.
(27.6 KiB) Downloaded 1828 times
PPM selection appears to be error.png
Is this the package....The PPM also has others.
(25.32 KiB) Downloaded 1834 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.

jamesbond

#274 Post by jamesbond »

gcmartin wrote:"lscpu" command doesn't return results. I think there is something wrong with my desktop's terminal. Same terminal window where I had duplication shown in earlier post.
Sorry, "lscpu" is only available in devx. Anyway, no need for that command, just to straight to step 2 onwards.

Yes, that's the correct package - see the attached image. I really should remove the old qemu package.

Barbol, I did a quick test on FAT, as long as when I created the file when I was in UTF8 locale, the filename shows correctly on both Rox and terminal. Let me know how it goes with you.
Attachments
qemu-pkg.png
(49.16 KiB) Downloaded 1814 times
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Barbol

#275 Post by Barbol »

Barbol, I did a quick test on FAT, as long as when I created the file when I was in UTF8 locale, the filename shows correctly on both Rox and terminal. Let me know how it goes with you.
Jamesbond, the problem are the special spanish characters, the files in red are the ones containing those characters. It seems that fatdog is not using UTF-8 encoding when mounting FAT partitions. But I think I found a solution for this, adding the 'utf8' in the mount options does the trick:

Code: Select all

# mount | grep sda7
/dev/sda7 on /mnt/sda7 type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0027,dmask=0027,codepage=cp850,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
# ls /mnt/sda7/Test/*
/mnt/sda7/Test/?and?_Debian-6.0.6   /mnt/sda7/Test/?and?_Slacko-540
/mnt/sda7/Test/?and?_Lubuntu-12.04  /mnt/sda7/Test/Ñandú_Fatdog64-610
/mnt/sda7/Test/?and?_Racy-530       /mnt/sda7/Test/??????????_ubuntu-10.04

/mnt/sda7/Test/Racy:
??????????.VT  ??????????.X

/mnt/sda7/Test/Ubuntu.10.04:
??????????.C  ??????????.X
# umount /mnt/sda7
# mount -t vfat -o utf8 /dev/sda7 /mnt/sda7
# mount | grep sda7
/dev/sda7 on /mnt/sda7 type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
# ls /mnt/sda7/Test/*
/mnt/sda7/Test/Ã?andú_Fatdog64-610  /mnt/sda7/Test/Ñandú_Racy-530
/mnt/sda7/Test/Ñandú_Debian-6.0.6    /mnt/sda7/Test/Ñandú_Slacko-540
/mnt/sda7/Test/Ñandú_Lubuntu-12.04   /mnt/sda7/Test/ñáñìñüñẽñô_ubuntu-10.04

/mnt/sda7/Test/Racy:
ñáñìñüñẽñô.X  ñáñìñüñõñê.VT

/mnt/sda7/Test/Ubuntu.10.04:
ñáñìñüñêñô.C  ñáñìñüñẽñô.X
# 
I added the 'utf8' option in fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh and voilà! no more red files in Rox.
I tested ntfs too, no issues with special chars there..

Here is a nice link with a lot of info (in spanish) regarding all encoding stuff for spanish speakers. Maybe it helps others too:
http://www.vicente-navarro.com/blog/200 ... aracteres/
If you can run with devx always attached, all the better
I ran localdef and a folder named es_AR.utf-8 was created in the savefile. Is anything else needed? I unloaded the devx.sfs and the spanish locale seems to be working still.

Barbol

jamesbond

#276 Post by jamesbond »

Thanks Barbol.

It's a bit confusing because even without "utf8", FAT (when used as vfat) is capable of storing filenames with unicode characters. I could successfully create and later display filenames with odd characters in FAT (as long as my locale is UTF8) without "utf8" keyword.

Once I mount FAT with "utf8" keyword, however, those filenames show as garbage. I can then create new filenames with unicode characters again and they would display correctly - as long as I stay in "utf8" option.

As soon as I un-mount and mount them again - without utf8 - my original filenames works fine, but those created during the time I had it mounted with "utf8" displays as garbage.

Conclusion: I can store unicode characters in filenames, with or without "utf8" options, but they are mutually incompatible to each other.

In the interest of compatibility with other puppies, I will add "utf8" for FAT mount options in next release of Fatdog. The workaround you did in mount-helper is the correct one.

Regarding the locale - you're right, once the en_AR.UTF-8 locale has been created, the original source (in devx) is no longer needed.

cheers!

ally

#277 Post by ally »

hey all

I have recently started using fatdog64-611 firefox as my main distro on a lenovo t61 and also an amd sockt 939 desktop

I have had a little help from smokey (thanks) with sorting running firefox as root but have a couple of small issues I would like help with please:

on both machines I have seperate partitions for the OS's and data, how to I set up a samba share to the 'data' partitions (I can only get them to see the 'downloads' folder)

I am having trouble with the vncviewer which appears to break following install, works ok after initial install and fails on subsequent use (dialog box just hangs)

I am unable to install bookmarks from html file (have followed html to downloads then open ff instructions)

thanks in advance and thanks to the devs for a wonderful distro

:)

oohh - sorry one more, I have installed the ip-up script to use opendns servers which I have installed in /etc/ppp and linked to the startup folder but it doesn't run at boot?

that's it!!

smokey01

#278 Post by smokey01 »

ally have a look at this doc I put together.

http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... FatDog.pdf

ally

#279 Post by ally »

hey smokey

I already have that - thanks, I have just checked the samba section again and can see the instructions I missed before for adding share locations - my bad!

RandSec

Multisession Save

#280 Post by RandSec »

The idea here is to take a Puppy DVD to an arbitrary PC station, run and configure Firefox, and save the updated system on the DVD, all without using the PC hard drive. (These stations have no hard drive.) Most Puppy versions will simply recover the updated system transparently on the next boot, but Fatdog64 is not doing that for me. Although I have been using Puppy for years, always from DVD, and so am well acquainted with .iso's and DVD's and multisession updates, I cannot even start with Fatdog64. So I have tried to narrow everything down to a simple, repeatable, experiment which anyone can do in an hour or so:

1. Boot from a Puppy DVD, e.g., Lighthouse64
2. Download Fatdog64-611-firefox.iso
3. Burn iso to DVD+RW with Burniso2cd and verify OK
4. Boot from the resulting Fatdog64 DVD
5. Bring up Firefox, and add an add-on (e.g., LastPass )
6. Restart Firefox, see active add-on, close Firefox
7. Power-off => Save (need to check multisession box)
(perhaps 1 time in 10 the save will fail; if so, start over)
8. Boot the updated Fatdog64 DVD
9. Bring up Firefox: the add-on is gone (apparently all Firefox config is gone)

Since Lighthouse64 works, with the exact same hardware, I do not see an equipment issue on my end. But PC's with hard drives (especially with Puppy save files) might possibly deliver different results and so hide the problem. Maybe.

So what am I doing wrong?
MB: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, APU: AMD A4 5300 3.6GHz Dual-Core,
8GB RAM, no hard drive, Lighthouse64 5.15F Puppy Linux from DVD

rcrsn51

#281 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are you using the "multi" boot option? Read here.

ally

#282 Post by ally »

help please.....

could somebody explain how to fault trace programs not working, in this instance the vncviewer has stopped

used to start hanging at dialog but has now stopped running altogether

thanks in advance

edit: I have re-installed again with clean savefile, pets added: fatdogmounthelper, cputemp, wolgui and the ip-up script (still doesn't autorun?)

vncviewer working, will update if/when it does go wrong again

edit2: vncviewer failed to run on second attempt??

smokey01

#283 Post by smokey01 »

ally, it's always a good idea to run programs from the console when they don't work. This will show you the problems.

You can also see what libraries are missing by typing:
ldd program in a console.

This will then give you the opportunity to go looking for the missing libraries. Sometimes you just need to make a symlink.

For example: suppose you get an error xyz.so.1 can't be found. You might already have a later version of the library called xyz.so.1.1
Simply make a symlink to xyz.so.1.1 and call it xyz.so.1

Hope it helps.

ally

#284 Post by ally »

hey smokey

thanks again

from the terminal for the built in package

#vncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection timed out
Unable to connect to VNC server

this happens on both machines that fatdog (611ff) is 9frugally) installed to, it works for time on a clean installs and then breaks

running from slacko 5.3.3 works ok

cheers

ally

#285 Post by ally »

ok just tried something

used the local ip address which worked straight off so it's been unable to resolve the hostname

I presume this is because I'm forcing the use of opendns servers, would that be right? If so how do I keep local hostname resolving but keep the speed of the opendns?

cheers

jamesbond

#286 Post by jamesbond »

I don't use opendns so I can't help.
For the ip-up script, to get it to autorun, just insert the command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

ally

#287 Post by ally »

thanks james

gcmartin

#288 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Ally.

There are two issues that you are hitting up against. I have had some problems in the past as well. Here's a brief description that comes into play.

The FATDOG hostname seems to have some issues with the tool that allows proper hostname setting. I say "proper" because I set each device on my LAN with a descriptive name for Identity reasons. With FATDOG, I have had several occurrences where the LAN is not receiving that name properly. This is compounded by several factors; but suffice it to say is occurs with my Live media system which I try to not boot. This becomes router related because that device name is relayed at IP personality time via DHCP protocol exchange.

OK, so advance to setting it proper on your PC and rebooting your PC. Next depending on which router you are using, the registration for local devices may or may not be managed in the router so that things can be found by their hostname(s). Some routers have a feature, manual or automatic, to control this registration for local use and some do not. Thus, depending on whether you are using automatic setting via DHCP or using a static setting, this TOO, can affect the LAN registration for finding things locally by the hostname.

In the cases of the router, those that are not set to manage the local device naming will pass the device name thru to the upstream DNSs that it knows about. In this case, it will register in the internet and local resolution will not occur as expected or will occur randomly to highlight this problem.

The solution to this is to setup a local LAN DNS server to accomplish the registration of the local devices. And tell all the PCs it is authoritative by pointing their DNS resolution to the authoritative DNS of all name resolution. This DNS would be smart enough to know that if request is unknown/not local to pass the request along to the Internet DNS for it to have a look and to resolve.

JamesBond has, I believe, included a subsystem which can do exactly that. Its DNSMASQ. But you'll have to look into it or contact their support team for setup instructions. Further, Microsoft has a solution, too.

Here is one things that will work using some routers. This I call automatic because for vendors sometimes employ this to automatically handle the feature which tries to screen local LAN hostnames traffic from internet traffic. Try setting the DHCP area of the router to pass along ONLY the router's LAN IP address as the DNS address. This field is usually left to 0.0.0.0 or on some routers will be filled in with the ISP's DNS. In some cases this is how some routers screen for local traffic. And, most all router still will see that internet address resolution occurs as one would expect. Should this work, there is no need for a PC running DNSMASQ locally for LAN DNS resolution.

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 26 Jan 2013, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#289 Post by ally »

hey gc

thanks, I am using a BThomehub2 which doesn't seem to work well out in the world, I wasn't for example able to set up a 'local network' setting for opendns

I was however able to set permanent ip addresses for my local network which has allowed me to append my local ip addresses to the 'hosts' file which has sorted the problem, vnc now works correctly in conjustion with ip-up pointing to opendns (highly recommended everybody)

thanks to JB the ip-up script start is permanently fixed so firefox polls opendns servers which CONSIDERABLY speed up my browser page find

the only real problem now is that FF is not behaving correctly with bookmarks but it's a minor niggle

thanks once again to the fatdog team, this is blistering fast on a 1800mhz dual core lenovo t61

kudos

dennis-slacko531

Why doesn't VLC work well with internet radio?

#290 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Hi :) I really enjoy my Killradio.ORG and have been trying tonight to listen in. The default browser (The Nightly, firefox), it brings the multimedia "web page" in fine, but no sound. So, I dnld IRON (23?) and it ask me to grant VLC rights to run this session, etc. Same result... I'll have to boot into another Puppy unless someone cool gives an answer (please). Thanks, Dennis -- I have the 610 version.

Oh, maybe I should mention it runs fine (immediately) a normal mp3 file dnld from the net.

Runs very snappy on HP dc7800 (2.66/2G Duo).

Edit after Reply: I'll try that, thanks kirk. I've noticed in Linux & their browser's, if wishing to save, I have to kick-start the downloadable mp3 by saving the page. I mean, the default is set to start playing. As you may know http://www.Killradio.org (and the popular http://www.radio4all.net) have K's of 90min or better music/shows! Free for all to enjoy.
Last edited by dennis-slacko531 on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.