How to have Yahoo Chat Client with Video Call?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
umair

How to have Yahoo Chat Client with Video Call?

#1 Post by umair »

Hello Every One:
I am using puppy linux from past 02 years, Tried different puplets. All have some specific qualities n also some issues. I know that many people have posted this issue before. Linux distributions are the best, what ever you want to do, with a little bit search U can do that, As the subject shows that the focus is on yahoo chat messenger with web cam support. I m from a country where U can buy cheap CDs of MS very easily. I m distributing this outstanding OS in my co-leagues, family members n also in my friends. But most of them ask a same question that " In Linux Puppy or any other flavor, can we use a messenger like yahoo messnger with Voice/video chat facility?".
No doubt that Pidgin is superb but does not support video chat. Gyachi was the only messenger on linux which fulfill all the needs, but from last month or so, its not working. :(. Just want to know from the developers that why thy are not working on it or to create a chat client which supports video/voice calls????
I searched a lot on google to solve this thread but didnt find anything useful.
Hope that someone have better idea.
Regards
UMAIR
Last edited by umair on Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.

chrome307

#2 Post by chrome307 »

Why do you not use Skype? That supports video calls.

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

Pidgin does support video chat, but only under Linux, and with some dependencies. I think it only supports video chat under the XMPP protocol, though; I'm not sure. Let me check...

From the Pidgin FAQ:
Does Pidgin support voice or video?

Yes, Pidgin does support voice and video, but this is limited to Unix-like platforms and the XMPP protocol (including GoogleTalk).

When will voice and video be implemented on Windows?

Libpurple depends on Farsight 2 and GStreamer to provide VV support. These libraries already work in Windows. The Pidgin build process needs to be updated appropriately to enable the functionality. Patches to make this happen are welcome.

Does Pidgin support libjingle?

Yes, both GMail and GTalk implementations should work.

How do I configure my microphone/webcam?

Currently, the command-line gstreamer-properties program is used. This is only available on GNOME-based systems. On other systems, Pidgin makes its best guess as to which device to use. A plugin is planned to support this functionality on other systems.

When will voice and video be implemented on other protocols?

We plan to implement these features, but it is a daunting task. The time available to the developers who work on these features is limited, and so any work on these features proceeds slowly.

In short, we have no idea when this will happen. It could be tomorrow, or it could be in 2099. That's really the best answer we can give right now.

Current information on the status of this progress can be found on the vv and GSoC2008/VoiceAndVideo pages.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

rokytnji

#4 Post by rokytnji »

Depending on what Puppy you are using.

https://jitsi.org/index.php/Main/Download

Jitsi (formerly SIP Communicator) is an audio/video and chat communicator that supports protocols such as SIP, XMPP/Jabber, AIM/ICQ, Windows Live, Yahoo! and many other useful features.
I made my own personal .pet for Puppy 5.2 back when I was running it. It should just be pretty easy to install the .deb for Ubuntu in the latest Puppy versions.

https://jitsi.org/

Or get someone to package it up I guess. I would not trust my older jitsi .pet to work on anyone’s gear except my eeepc netbooks. I still run Puppeee 4.x on sd card on those.

OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

Agreed that Skype works quite well and is probably the best option.

Many SIP softphones support video and text messaging as well as audio. Jitsi is one example (java based?). I believe the most commonly-used one on Windows is X-Lite but the different ones should all be able to talk to each other via the SIP protocol.

I have been experimenting with Linphone on Puppy and it seem to be working though it can be a bit fiddly to configure until you get used to it. My builds of that for Slacko 533 and Precise Puppy support video calling although I haven't had chance to test the feature extensively.
Oscar in England

umair

#6 Post by umair »

umair wrote: Hi rokytnji:
I downloaded the .deb package of jitsi from the link which u mentined in ur post. I installed on three different puppies i.e. Precise puppy, lupu-528 and polar pup, but not able to run it. Its shows the menu entry but when I click on it, nothing happens.
Any Idea?
Thnx in Advance.
UMAIR
hello rokytnji:
I managed to install jitsi in puppy linux, Downloaded latest lupu-005. Installes .deb package of jitsi. Now I can use jitsi :-). Posting the screenshot.
Just want to know one thing, which is not related to puppy linux. As I mentioned in my 1st post that I was looking for Video chat client. For this, I created an UserID in iptel.org. I can login to that id on the offical website of iptel.org. But When I tried to use this ID in jitsi to sign in. I got error "unable to sign in chek your settings and contact administrator ... etc...". I think I have to configure some proxy settings to use iptel.org's ID in Jitsi. I searched alot on the web but couldnt find anything useful. If You can help me to configure this or any other guy thn much appreciated.
Looking for early response.
Thanks in Advance.
UMAIR

umair

#7 Post by umair »

umair wrote: hello rokytnji:
I managed to install jitsi in puppy linux, Downloaded latest lupu-005. Installes .deb package of jitsi. Now I can use jitsi :-). Posting the screenshot.
Just want to know one thing, which is not related to puppy linux. As I mentioned in my 1st post that I was looking for Video chat client. For this, I created an UserID in iptel.org. I can login to that id on the offical website of iptel.org. But When I tried to use this ID in jitsi to sign in. I got error "unable to sign in chek your settings and contact administrator ... etc...". I think I have to configure some proxy settings to use iptel.org's ID in Jitsi. I searched alot on the web but couldnt find anything useful. If You can help me to configure this or any other guy thn much appreciated.
Looking for early response.
Thanks in Advance.
UMAIR
It is confirm that I successfully logged into SIP:iptel.org's ID in jitsi. You have to configure the proxy server. Untick the option "Configure the proxy automatically" thn enter "sip.iptel.org" and in proxy field "5060". thats it. Here is the screenshot:
Hope that will be useful for someone.

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello umair,

So is Jitsi now working for you, I mean have you been able to make video calls with it?

In Lucid 528 I recall having installed versions of both Linphone and Ekiga from the Ubuntu repos but they end up as big packages that way because of all the dependencies. I think versions of these may be available in the Slackware and Debian repos for other Puppies too, but I am not sure if they are fully functional.

For anyone running Slacko 533 or Precise Puppy I would welcome testers for the Linphone packages which I compiled in them and are therefore relatively small.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79803

Also there is an earlier version of Linphone as an sfs package which works in Lucid here.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71750
Oscar in England

umair

#9 Post by umair »

OscarTalks wrote:Hello umair,

So is Jitsi now working for you, I mean have you been able to make video calls with it?
Hi OscarTalks: I checked the video calls from another windows based laptop. In Lucid Puppy I was able to receive video calls with nice picture quality. I dont have spare webcam to taste a call from lucid puppy, but I m sure it will work as I already checked using skype. :-)
I never used Linphone before, but will defintly check this out.
Thnks for sharing useful info.
Regards
UMAIR

umair

#10 Post by umair »

hello every one:
A problem which is I am facing is not related to puppy linux, I am using jitsi from last couple of days, really its outstanding. Facing a very small problem, which I cant understand. The problem is:

When I use jitsi to connect to sip account (iptel.org) in my office computer on lucid puppy, works nicely without any issue.
(Note: I dont have a direct internet connection at office. We use net through proxy server)
But when I try this from my personal computer at home thn I got the connection error: (Posting the screenshot)
If anybody have some idea thn let me know please.
Thanks in Advance.
regards
UMAIR