Tools which allow users to edit videos

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
gcmartin

Tools which allow users to edit videos

#1 Post by gcmartin »

There have been a few distro developers over the past year who have presented distros with utilities for managing and editing videos. This brings great advantage to users.

Videos, in and of themselves for most users needs are centered around a manipulation-clipping-pasting requirement.

I found this report on one user's experience. I offer this to show some idea of utilities that can be "brought to bear". This is NOT a recommendation or a request. Its a report that users who had thought about video manipulation to know what to look for.

Cheers!

mikeslr

Read above link with "a grain of salt"

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks gmartin for the above link.

The best part of it was the author's discussion about blender. I wasn't aware of its usefulness in video editing, especially its ability to mark on the fly and non-destructively remove unwanted sections. I will have to examine/explore it more carefully.

I don't know why he had difficulty with avidemux and openbox. Perhaps it relates to the distro he was running them under. I haven't run across a recent Pup unable to use avidemux --even, if the xp-portable under wine-- on even fairly underpowered computers. Marking, cutting and appending are easy. And if the reader runs a wellminded search on "mikeb avidemux" he or she will find instructions for non-destructively removing unwanted sections.

Openshot, on the many Pups which can run it, easily manages combining clips in the order you desire, more complex video effects, and handling sound. LazyPuppy has pointed out that it works well in conjunction with blender for even more effects. I think LazyPuppy has published a version combining the two.

Unlike the following, openshot only provides two tracks to work with.

Thanks to battleshooter, Flowblade --not mentioned in the article-- is available in the Carolinas and Precise. See its thread for getting it running properly. I've mentioned a few times it may be the best video editor available for Puppy.

Shotcut --note there's no "r", also not mentioned in the article-- is also a full fledged video editor/composer. Thru its January '15 iteration, it can be run under wine on any Pup.

There are others video editor. But the above tools --alone or in combination-- provide a solid foundation for working with video.

mikesLr

Pelo

Avidemux

#3 Post by Pelo »

Avidemux still remains the more useful. You can use on line editing You Tube tools, too.
:cry: :cry: :cry: Cinelerra
:? openshot does it