Slacko-5.4 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
tlchost

#211 Post by tlchost »

[quote="01micko"]Thom,

I have a work around tool for this shortcoming.
</quote>
Does not seem to work here

Thom

tlchost

#212 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote:Thom,

I have a work around tool for this shortcoming.

See Menu >> Desktop >> Settings >> Desksetup Templates for Desk Icons.
Doesn't seem to work here...exactly what file does it write to and what is the name of the script it installs??

Thom

01micko

#213 Post by 01micko »

tlchost wrote: Doesn't seem to work here...exactly what file does it write to and what is the name of the script it installs??

Thom
Hmmm.. just tested working here. Did you click the "Custom" button to save your current layout? Files are in /usr/local/desksetup. Saves config in /root/.desksetup. It alters the rox-pinboard at /root/Choices/ROX-Filer.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tlchost

#214 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote:
Hmmm.. just tested working here. Did you click the "Custom" button to save your current layout? Files are in /usr/local/desksetup. Saves config in /root/.desksetup. It alters the rox-pinboard at /root/Choices/ROX-Filer.
I noticed I was never asked for a name for the custom file...so, my steedl trap logic tells me if it did not ask for a name, none was created.

So, help me with the ultimate Kludge....how would I do it manually? sve pinboard to some_other_name and after rebooting then copy some_other_name to pinboard and restart x ?

Thanks

ps, in the unspeakable IRC channel now

tallboy

#215 Post by tallboy »

File is ~/.desktopsetup/custompin, this setup works very well! Icons are my modified Stardust theme, GTK theme is also Stardust, and in the JWMConfiguration Manager is the JWM theme set to Black-vg, and the choice Change Window Decorations is set to 'larger' (window buttons).
This is the best puppy I have had so far, so I had to update my signature! I have done the modifications mentioned in this thread, but limited myself to a 590 version of JWM, and installed firefox-18.0.1, the original had some strange behaviour. I run live CD/DVD only. I usually save files to a USB HD, and it annoys me that turning off the machine with the Power button afterwards - as I have done before, now activates the whole Power-off/savesession procedure.

tallboy
Attachments
capture25928-1.jpg
(137.57 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

01micko

AMMOUNCE - pre beta test

#216 Post by 01micko »

I'm right now building a test image with k3.0.60. This is mainly to test the BUG we have been fussing over :lol: . (Not that it's a laughing matter, but we don't get too bogged down here :) )

Now, this will sort out if it's an AUFS issue or kernel.

It should be up in an hour or two so stay tuned. It DOES contain some, but not all bugfixes so far, a changelog will be supplied.

Cheers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slacko-5.4.0.1 (pre beta 5.4.1 or 5.5) is released as a test bed for the BUG!

Get it here <---http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/slacko/slacko-5.4.0.1/ (155 MB, no devx, use older 5.4 version, no kernel source, I don't want drivers, if you need them PM me)

This is a 4g Opera version (no PAE).

It has kernel 3.0.60 and many bugfixes but does contain new bugs (broadcom wireles firmware is one)

Changelog
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FINAL 20121202 SLACKO-540

bugfix xchat menu entry from Network to Internet
bugfix guvcview
bugfix Spanish locale jwm

BETA 20130131 FOR SLACKO-541
SLACKO-5.4.0.1

update jwm-679 (numerous changes and bugfixes see http://joewing.net/projects/jwm/snapshots/ChangeLog)
-note JWM looks a bit different now, this is by design from Joe Wing (still work to be done)
update gtkdialog-0.8.4 (actually 0.8.3-stable) -Thunor
update pmusic_PLUGIN_trayapp-0.3 -zigbert, 01micko
update pmusic-3.1.2 -zigbert
update pburn-2.9.13 ""
update pschedule-1.1.2 ""
update pfind-5.11 ""
update ghostscript-9.0.5 -rcrsn51
update opera-12.13 (security fixes)
update seamonkey_solibs-2.15.1 (security fixes)
experimental roll back of kernel to 3.0.60 -- NOTE: woof did not download correct
broadcom wireless firmwares (This is not fixed as the kernel roll-back is a
temporary situation)

bugfix and enhancements jwmconfig2 -add i18n, rodin.s,
-fix panel-buttons gui and keyboard help file, npierce
bugfix rox-filer -npierce
bugfix perms on /tmp were 777 not 1777, SFR, master_wrong
bugfix /sbin/probepart -audio CD not showing on desktop, -
Brown Mouse, tlchost, JustGreg -fix by rcrsn51 and 01micko (woof fix now)
bugfix inkscape deps (PPM) -zigbert
bugfix PPM -- remove invalid repos (semme, bcs, 01micko) (Waiting for upstream confirmation of fix)

BUGS PENDING (in order of importance) (THESE ARE NOT FIXED!)
"blank page bug" --symptom, slow saving, copying of files, -
-can cause severe system slowdowns, even lockups
-(SFR, ally, 8-bit, peebee, consistent and others), STATUS -- slow progress
"lack-lustre perl bug" --symptom, pplog fails,
--cause, lack of perl modules in main sfs (SFR, 666philb), STATUS -- on to it
"marcel marceau bug" --symptom, failure in a vanilla install to update mime database,
--cause /usr/bin/update-mime-database is in devx (MHHP), STATUS -- on to it
"intel pseudo video driver bug" --symptom, poulsbo (aka gma-500) "intel" graphics don't work -
-(JustGreg, tempestuous), STATUS -- getting there. THIS is ONLY for newer than k3.3.XX
bugfix rox trash -SFR -- STATUS -- to do
bugfix /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/Templates.ui file -SFR -- STATUS -- to do

woof2-130130
Be aware that this is mainly for testing the IO bug mentioned in the last 5 or so pages of this thread ( SFR, ally, 8-bit, peebee, tallboy and others have seen this). The idea here is that I have rolled back the kernel to PRE 3.2.x to see if it's a kernel issue or an AUFS issue such that I can present Barry with some tangible evidence that there is a BUG! (It is reportedly experienced in Precise-5.4.3 official, upup-precise-3.7.2 (pemasu) and here).

Please test.. lots of other things to check too, JWM, Rox, printing, you name it.

The final release of the next Slacko in this line WILL NOT ship with this kernel, but the userspace will be very close. All reports are welcome. When testing shifts to full Beta I will open a new thread.

I only have a month, then I will be too busy for dedication to Slacko.. so.. if you like Slacko test and report.. Thanks very much in advance..

And as always have fun! :)

SFR

#217 Post by SFR »

Ok, I just tested 5.4.0.1 and wasn't able to recreate the issue - writing to 'pup_ro1' is fluent, no hangs...

So, is it kernel or aufs then, because I lost track somewhere along the way? :wink:
Thanks!

BTW, I feel kinda alienated with this bug, in a sense that noone but me could recreate it under controlled conditions. :(

So please, if anyone would like to help in confirming that this is global issue and not local ("just-me"), the safest way to do so is to frugally install Slacko-5.4 on NTFS formatted volume in VirtualBox, create slackosave.2fs (at least 512 MB) and after reboot:
- if you have left the default pmedia=atahd in menu.lst:

Code: Select all

cat /dev/zero > /initrd/pup_rw/root/bigfile
- if you have changed to pmedia=ataflash in menu.lst:

cat/dev/zero > /initrd/pup_ro1/root/bigfile
(there may be need to repeat it few times, using different filenames, but it never happened to me under VBox)

If HDD icon at the bottom of VBox window goes off for more than 5 sec. and WM stops responding - most likely this is it.
Then try CTRL+C to stop "cat'ting" (or better reset VM - it takes a while to things get back to normal) and the next step will be remounting the savefile:

mount -o remount,sync /dev/loop1
and repeat the 'cat' procedure to see if there's any difference.
That's all and it takes 10-15 min. to me.

If something's not clear enough or need some help - just let me know. :wink:

TIA & Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

ally

#218 Post by ally »

running 5401 now on ext2 install

savefile wasn't picked up until it was moved to same folder (I ran out of room on the 'OS' partition to have both installed together)

my normal suite of apps installed to correct folder on this build, tighvnc to network instead of utilities for example

will run for a couple of days or until I notice an issue

:)

James C

Re: AMMOUNCE - pre beta test

#219 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: Slacko-5.4.0.1 (pre beta 5.4.1 or 5.5) is released as a test bed for the BUG!
Guess I'm lucky to have not experienced the "BUG" but I'll test for other things. :)

Just did an Lxpup with the latest k-3.2.37........ not discovered any problems with it yet.

oldyeller

#220 Post by oldyeller »

I'll do some testing as well today and the weekend.

I have not seen the "BUG" here either maybe it is because of my anti-bug repellent :D :D

Will also be looking forward for the next release.

Cheers

James C

#221 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install on the trusty old Athlon XP box....... no problems. Ext3 savefile on an Ext3 partition.

# report-video
Report Video 1.4 - Thu 31 Jan 2013 on Slacko Puppy 5.4.0.1 - Linux 3.0.60-4g i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
1130 frames in 5.0 seconds = 225.837 FPS
1347 frames in 5.0 seconds = 269.217 FPS
1515 frames in 5.0 seconds = 302.738 FPS
1895 frames in 5.0 seconds = 378.990 FPS
1897 frames in 5.0 seconds = 379.394 FPS

More after further testing......

oldyeller

#222 Post by oldyeller »

Did manual frugal install on Dell D430 with Toshiba usb hd

everything doing good so far gtkdialog is working great installed Manna and wbar

Report Vedio

Report Video 1.4 - Thu 31 Jan 2013 on Slacko Puppy 5.4.0.1 - Linux 3.0.60-4g i686

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
oem: Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver used: intel

dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)

Cheers

SFR

#223 Post by SFR »

James C wrote:Guess I'm lucky to have not experienced the "BUG" but I'll test for other things. :)
oldyeller wrote: have not seen the "BUG" here either maybe it is because of my anti-bug repellent :D :D
Ah, you lucky fellows - the BUG is cunning, elusive beast!
So far, only me had "privilege" to see its true, hideous face and I'll never be the same. :shock:
Hides in NTFS, doesn't like syncing.
:wink:

@Mick:
Changelog wrote:bugfix perms on /tmp were 777 not 1777, SFR, master_wrong
Are you sure the fix is included in 5.4.0.1?
Looks the same as in 5.4:
- pristine boot: 777
- pmedia=ataflash: 777
- pmedia=atahd: 1777
BTW, does anyone can confirm this, because somehow I'm loosing faith in credibility of my experiences. :wink:

ROX Audio-CD fix works great.

Thanks & Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

01micko

#224 Post by 01micko »

SFR wrote:@Mick:
Changelog wrote:bugfix perms on /tmp were 777 not 1777, SFR, master_wrong
Are you sure the fix is included in 5.4.0.1?
Looks the same as in 5.4:
- pristine boot: 777
- pmedia=ataflash: 777
- pmedia=atahd: 1777
BTW, does anyone can confirm this, because somehow I'm loosing faith in credibility of my experiences. :wink:
Hmmm... what I thought was the fix mustn't be! I'll have another go for next version. Thanks!

EDIT... no it's a woof thing! I think when you first boot one of the init scripts changes it to 1777, but in woof/3builddistro I came across this line (@line 2137)

chmod 777 rootfs-complete/tmp
I'll report to Barry to change it to 1777.
Last edited by 01micko on Thu 31 Jan 2013, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#225 Post by James C »

Purely for testing purposes, booting live cd....ext3 savefile and main Slacko sfs on NTFS hdd partition.No problems yet.

# report-video

Chip description:
d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nouveau

dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
# glxgears
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 30
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 55
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 56
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 59
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 58
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
5220 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1043.875 FPS
5793 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1158.582 FPS
5687 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1137.099 FPS
5715 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1142.843 FPS
5665 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1133.000 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 2854MB (454MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Puppy Linux
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu Jan 31 17:24:43 2013
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on NV4C
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

01micko

#226 Post by 01micko »

Here is a table of the IO Bug so far..

IO Bug at google docs

tallboy

#227 Post by tallboy »

Hi 01micko. I 've done the first test on a machine with an AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 graphic card, Intergraph 19sd5 screen. Usually running live on different machines, I always check to use the video wizard. The test started bad, it would not start X. I followed the options in the video wizard, and ended up in a shell with xorg.conf: two active 'Devices' are listed, Card1 with driver 'r128', and Card2 with driver 'vesa'. Last line gives PuppyHardwareProfile=ATI_RAGE12819sd95, so 'r128' should be the correct driver.
Back in the ordinary wizard window:
  • Resolution: x pixels
  • Horizontal frquency: KHz
  • Refresh frequency: Hz
  • Video driver: modesetting
After choosing 'vesa' instead, I was sent back to the setup page, set 1280x1024, chose 'test', and got a dialog window that told me X was working, entered 'xwin', and got a window. Incorrect size, does not fill the screen, way over past the left side. Running PupControl-Settings-Basic Settings, I was told that 'vesa' is running, and I should run the Video Wizard to find an xorg driver instead! :roll: Instead I rebooted, and started without choosing the video wizard option, set 1280x1024, and it opened normally, but with a window that does not fill the screen, and is off center. After running the xorgwizard several times and trying all the ATI drivers listed, it suddenly loaded a window normally, with the r128 driver. My ZTE MF636 USB modem did not connect. There is of course the possibility that the machine is not 100%, but the ordinary Slacko-5.4 started without any issues on this machine. I'll set up some other machines for testing.
BTW: 'The Focus Model (sloppy or click)' setting is listed twice in the ~/.JWMRC, I definitely hate the new jwm window buttons cursors, and the option to set larger buttons is missing in jwm-config.

tallboy
Attachments
Xorg.0.log.old.gz
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
report-video-full.gz
(10.77 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

01micko

#228 Post by 01micko »

Hello tallboy,

Thanks for testing. Part of your X problems is my fault. I should have left the "modesetting" driver in the alternate location so it doesn't try to load. It does conflict with some drivers. Anyway, that was almost certainly a typo because I have been through that routine many many times and know I didn't forget it. This kernel is only temporary too as I reckon the kernel video drivers are better in k3.2x and 3.4x.

As for jwm cursors, I'll see if there is some configuration to turn therm off. I don't think it matters about 2 focus entries in JWMRC, this file is not read by jwm but used to generate the ~/.jwmrc. As long as jwm -p isn't returning anything we are good. I'll address the button sizing, it is now dependant on the height of the title bar.

Cheers

oldyeller

#229 Post by oldyeller »

I did a no, no a my computer Dell D430 today and made a NTFS partition and did a frugal install of slacko 5.4.0.1.

created a savefile with a ext2 file in it and increased by 8gb Installed wbar and Manna along with wine and BibleAnaylzer. rebooted and twice and everything is still working so far.

I made a button on jwm taskbar works,

The only thing I have ever notice with slacko and any puppy besides lupu is that when I use a different resolution so that things are bigger I only get the screen in a smaller window and does not fill the screeen. I don't know if this would be a bug or not, but I don't think so maybe a different driver.

Report Video 1.4 - Fri 1 Feb 2013 on Slacko Puppy 5.4.0.1 - Linux 3.0.60-4g i686

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
oem: Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver used: intel
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)

Cheers

James C

#230 Post by James C »

Been running both installs periodically today....... no problems evident yet.
Nice wallpaper too.
Attachments
slacko-5.4.0.1.jpg
(44.76 KiB) Downloaded 536 times