Please post any bugs you have found
01micko

#226 Post by 01micko »

Here is a table of the IO Bug so far..

IO Bug at google docs
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tallboy

#227 Post by tallboy »

Hi 01micko. I 've done the first test on a machine with an AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 graphic card, Intergraph 19sd5 screen. Usually running live on different machines, I always check to use the video wizard. The test started bad, it would not start X. I followed the options in the video wizard, and ended up in a shell with xorg.conf: two active 'Devices' are listed, Card1 with driver 'r128', and Card2 with driver 'vesa'. Last line gives PuppyHardwareProfile=ATI_RAGE12819sd95, so 'r128' should be the correct driver.
Back in the ordinary wizard window:
  • Resolution: x pixels
  • Horizontal frquency: KHz
  • Refresh frequency: Hz
  • Video driver: modesetting
After choosing 'vesa' instead, I was sent back to the setup page, set 1280x1024, chose 'test', and got a dialog window that told me X was working, entered 'xwin', and got a window. Incorrect size, does not fill the screen, way over past the left side. Running PupControl-Settings-Basic Settings, I was told that 'vesa' is running, and I should run the Video Wizard to find an xorg driver instead! :roll: Instead I rebooted, and started without choosing the video wizard option, set 1280x1024, and it opened normally, but with a window that does not fill the screen, and is off center. After running the xorgwizard several times and trying all the ATI drivers listed, it suddenly loaded a window normally, with the r128 driver. My ZTE MF636 USB modem did not connect. There is of course the possibility that the machine is not 100%, but the ordinary Slacko-5.4 started without any issues on this machine. I'll set up some other machines for testing.
BTW: 'The Focus Model (sloppy or click)' setting is listed twice in the ~/.JWMRC, I definitely hate the new jwm window buttons cursors, and the option to set larger buttons is missing in jwm-config.

tallboy
Attachments
Xorg.0.log.old.gz
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
report-video-full.gz
(10.77 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

01micko

#228 Post by 01micko »

Hello tallboy,

Thanks for testing. Part of your X problems is my fault. I should have left the "modesetting" driver in the alternate location so it doesn't try to load. It does conflict with some drivers. Anyway, that was almost certainly a typo because I have been through that routine many many times and know I didn't forget it. This kernel is only temporary too as I reckon the kernel video drivers are better in k3.2x and 3.4x.

As for jwm cursors, I'll see if there is some configuration to turn therm off. I don't think it matters about 2 focus entries in JWMRC, this file is not read by jwm but used to generate the ~/.jwmrc. As long as jwm -p isn't returning anything we are good. I'll address the button sizing, it is now dependant on the height of the title bar.

Cheers

oldyeller

#229 Post by oldyeller »

I did a no, no a my computer Dell D430 today and made a NTFS partition and did a frugal install of slacko 5.4.0.1.

created a savefile with a ext2 file in it and increased by 8gb Installed wbar and Manna along with wine and BibleAnaylzer. rebooted and twice and everything is still working so far.

I made a button on jwm taskbar works,

The only thing I have ever notice with slacko and any puppy besides lupu is that when I use a different resolution so that things are bigger I only get the screen in a smaller window and does not fill the screeen. I don't know if this would be a bug or not, but I don't think so maybe a different driver.

Report Video 1.4 - Fri 1 Feb 2013 on Slacko Puppy 5.4.0.1 - Linux 3.0.60-4g i686

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
oem: Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver used: intel
X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Cheers

James C

#230 Post by James C »

Been running both installs periodically today....... no problems evident yet.
Nice wallpaper too.
Attachments
slacko-5.4.0.1.jpg
(44.76 KiB) Downloaded 536 times

tallboy

#231 Post by tallboy »

I have downloaded and used the Firefox version of 5.4. Both the Firefox 17.0 and the update 18.0.1 behave strangely, so I would like to use a Seamonkey. The ones listed in the original ppm are v.2.12.1 at 88 Mb, and v.2.14 at 90 Mb, both from the slackware-14.0-official repo.
Is there a smaller puppy version suitable for Slacko 5.4? I only need the browser. If not, will there be one in the next version? Or a Surfer? I don't like Opera, but I'll burn a CD now to try it.

tallboy

01micko

#232 Post by 01micko »

tallboy

It is recommended to get seamonkey from the updates manager (see Setup > System menu). PPM quotes the size uncompressed, it's about 23M download. I don't compile it any more as it's too big for me. That's what swayed me to Opera, only 13M pet. You can update the database in PPM and then updates manager shows the very latest from slackware's changelog, bug fixes and security fixes. It is still under development and soon I hope to add a button to update the database form there. Seamonkey I think is at 2.15.1 now, You can check to see if your database needs updating by comparing the changelog (button) with the packages offered in the gui.

tallboy

#233 Post by tallboy »

o1micko, thank you.
I already updated the ppm, but forgot to save it. Seamonkey was 2.19.x. I tested it, but as you say, it was BIG!

tallboy

01micko

#234 Post by 01micko »

The updates manager now can update, it does it so fast that it should do it on every startup! At maximum it will only have to deal with 30 or so packages. Just click the button and in seconds it updates, have to restart the gui manually though. This saves the kludge though of updating PPM if you want to keep seamonkey/firefox updated. Slackware release very quickly after mozilla announces.

The gui is fully gettexted too so translators, if you want to add translations feel free, and I'll add them to the package, it's not so much to translate so can be in the default package.

EDIT: SORRY, package is broken .. if you have it uninstall it! updates_mgr-0.4.pet
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 02 Feb 2013, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

tallboy

#235 Post by tallboy »

01micko wrote:As long as jwm -p isn't returning anything we are good
Well, I'd better run it then!

Code: Select all

# jwm -p
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc[272]: invalid tag in Active: Corner
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc[278]: invalid tag in Inactive: Corner
JWM: warning: empty color tag
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc[381]: could not open included file /root/.jwm/jwmrc-tmp
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc[382]: could not open included file /root/.jwm/jwmrc-install
The files don't exist. Machine: P4 1.8 GHz, 768 Mb RAM, xorg noveau for GeForce2 MX200. It has the jwm v.590 linked from this thread.

Trying to get the Slacko 5.4 Opera version to load X, produced the same negative result as reported for the test version in the same machine. The 'modesetting' driver is present in /usr/lib/x/drivers-alternate/. AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128.

01micko

#236 Post by 01micko »

Yes, 5.4 has a non fatal bug with jwm, 5.4.0.1 has the fix.

As for rage 128.. are you using a 1366x768 monitor? If so it is a pain to get going, I have one, uses the mach64 xorg driver (the modesetting driver is ok in /usr/lib/x/drivers-alternate, where it is supposed to be). You may need to use xrandr manually to achieve 1280x720 resolution which I do. This bug is solved in next woof (see Barry's Blog).

01micko

#237 Post by 01micko »

James C wrote:Been running both installs periodically today....... no problems evident yet.
Nice wallpaper too.
Yes I might use that wallpaper in final but I think different icons.. suggestions anyone?

ally

#238 Post by ally »

hey micko

no hangs on 5401 (ext2, 2fs), system has been up 1day 19hrs

:)

gcmartin

5.4.00 to 5.4.01

#239 Post by gcmartin »

Been running your 00 version and have notice 01 is out and now downloaded..

Can I continue to use the 00 save-session with 01? Will 01 recognize and use it?

Thanks for your hard work.

01micko

Re: 5.4.00 to 5.4.01

#240 Post by 01micko »

gcmartin wrote:Been running your 00 version and have notice 01 is out and now downloaded..

Can I continue to use the 00 save-session with 01? Will 01 recognize and use it?

Thanks for your hard work.
As long as you didn't install any drivers it should be no problem.

tlchost

updates_mgr-0.4

#241 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote: EDIT: SORRY, package is broken .. if you have it uninstall it! updates_mgr-0.4.pet
Ah yes...it manages to whack get_libreupdate real good.

Burial Service was conducted after Emergency Room wrapped head because of severe lacerations from beating head against wall.

Thom

Sage

#242 Post by Sage »

Nice wallpaper too.
Can't please all the folks all the time. Would've thought your out-of-world Star-Troggy thingy would have had wider appeal. Kinda more inspirational?
Otherwise, agog am I for 5.5...

tallboy

#243 Post by tallboy »

01micko wrote:As for rage 128.. are you using a 1366x768 monitor?
No, I always use 1280x1024, my screens are Sony 500PS 21" and Intergraph 19sd95 19".

I managed to reproduse the frozen X today!

In a machine with P4 1.8 GHz, 768 Mb RAM, xorg noveau for GeForce2 MX200. I ran the ordinary 5.4, whith Firefox removed and Opera installed. Other additional apps were xpdf, lynx, and mc. I had installed the updates from the links in this thread; rox_filer-130126-s, jwm-590, jwmconfig2-130125 and gtkdialog-0.8.4-r503M-slacko.
I waited 40 min. to see if it corrected itself, but had to power-off manually in the end.
At the time it froze, I had 4 virtual desktops, with open app.windows in all. I had Opera running in one, Geany and a ROX in one, the PPM and a ROX in one, and 2 ROX-filer windows open in the last. I had a USB HD attached, with one mounted partition. I used two of the open windows to delete a lot of old files from the USB HD, among them 6 or 7 old puppy isos, so I guess I had deleted at least 1.5 Gb, most from the USB HD, when the machine froze. I used the ROX built-in delete function all the time, and the machine froze in the middle of a delete.

I don't know if this was any good info at all, but lack of logs are one downside when running from a live CD. :?

tallboy

01micko

#244 Post by 01micko »

tallboy, that may have been RAM crash.. is there swap?

----------

Ok, I have given this plenty of thought and this is what I will implement, barring a better idea, at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc/sysint to combat the "BUG". This will run the command at very first boot except for first live session.

Code: Select all

#SFR hack for IO bug http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=681383#681383
if [ ! "$PUPMODE" = 5 ];then  
  if vercmp $KERNVER ge 3.2 ;then
    case "$DEV1FS" in
    ntfs|vfat|ext2)
    echo "mount -o remount,sync /dev/loop1" >>/etc/rc.d/rc.local
    ;;
    esac
  fi
fi
However, my next beta, has a recompiled kernel with latest AUFS. Everything at this stage points to the kernel being the culprit but I still have a gut feeling it's AUFS. As I said, lots changed at the kernel level since 3.2.x. So, I do want a test with the above code commented just to see if it is AUFS. This will prove/disprove once and for all.

Look out for a new thread "Slacko-5.4.1 beta" later today.

01micko

#245 Post by 01micko »

A new BETA is uploaded.

Only PAE at this stage, maybe 4g in a few days