Slacko-5.4 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
tlchost

updates_mgr-0.4

#241 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote: EDIT: SORRY, package is broken .. if you have it uninstall it! updates_mgr-0.4.pet
Ah yes...it manages to whack get_libreupdate real good.

Burial Service was conducted after Emergency Room wrapped head because of severe lacerations from beating head against wall.

Thom

Sage

#242 Post by Sage »

Nice wallpaper too.
Can't please all the folks all the time. Would've thought your out-of-world Star-Troggy thingy would have had wider appeal. Kinda more inspirational?
Otherwise, agog am I for 5.5...

tallboy

#243 Post by tallboy »

01micko wrote:As for rage 128.. are you using a 1366x768 monitor?
No, I always use 1280x1024, my screens are Sony 500PS 21" and Intergraph 19sd95 19".

I managed to reproduse the frozen X today!

In a machine with P4 1.8 GHz, 768 Mb RAM, xorg noveau for GeForce2 MX200. I ran the ordinary 5.4, whith Firefox removed and Opera installed. Other additional apps were xpdf, lynx, and mc. I had installed the updates from the links in this thread; rox_filer-130126-s, jwm-590, jwmconfig2-130125 and gtkdialog-0.8.4-r503M-slacko.
I waited 40 min. to see if it corrected itself, but had to power-off manually in the end.
At the time it froze, I had 4 virtual desktops, with open app.windows in all. I had Opera running in one, Geany and a ROX in one, the PPM and a ROX in one, and 2 ROX-filer windows open in the last. I had a USB HD attached, with one mounted partition. I used two of the open windows to delete a lot of old files from the USB HD, among them 6 or 7 old puppy isos, so I guess I had deleted at least 1.5 Gb, most from the USB HD, when the machine froze. I used the ROX built-in delete function all the time, and the machine froze in the middle of a delete.

I don't know if this was any good info at all, but lack of logs are one downside when running from a live CD. :?

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

01micko

#244 Post by 01micko »

tallboy, that may have been RAM crash.. is there swap?

----------

Ok, I have given this plenty of thought and this is what I will implement, barring a better idea, at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc/sysint to combat the "BUG". This will run the command at very first boot except for first live session.

Code: Select all

#SFR hack for IO bug http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=681383#681383
if [ ! "$PUPMODE" = 5 ];then  
  if vercmp $KERNVER ge 3.2 ;then
    case "$DEV1FS" in
    ntfs|vfat|ext2)
    echo "mount -o remount,sync /dev/loop1" >>/etc/rc.d/rc.local
    ;;
    esac
  fi
fi
However, my next beta, has a recompiled kernel with latest AUFS. Everything at this stage points to the kernel being the culprit but I still have a gut feeling it's AUFS. As I said, lots changed at the kernel level since 3.2.x. So, I do want a test with the above code commented just to see if it is AUFS. This will prove/disprove once and for all.

Look out for a new thread "Slacko-5.4.1 beta" later today.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#245 Post by 01micko »

A new BETA is uploaded.

Only PAE at this stage, maybe 4g in a few days

tallboy

#246 Post by tallboy »

01micko, 1 Gb swap.

tallboy

gcmartin

Re: 5.4.00 to 5.4.01. Now on to 5.4.02

#247 Post by gcmartin »

01micko wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Been running your 00 version and have notice 01 is out and now downloaded..

Can I continue to use the 00 save-session with 01? Will 01 recognize and use it?

Thanks for your hard work.
As long as you didn't install any drivers it should be no problem.
Thanks. System recognized the old save-session and "upgraded" it.Now on to ...02.iso.

tallboy

#248 Post by tallboy »

In addition to the built-in network, I have an extra 3Com net card. The funny thing is that I never know which one comes up as eth0 and eth1 after bootup from the live CD. I saw this mentioned in the dpup485 thread back in July 2011, and I wonder if this is a known issue?

tallboy

01micko

#249 Post by 01micko »

tallboy wrote:In addition to the built-in network, I have an extra 3Com net card. The funny thing is that I never know which one comes up as eth0 and eth1 after bootup from the live CD. I saw this mentioned in the dpup485 thread back in July 2011, and I wonder if this is a known issue?

tallboy
TBH I have no idea. I have 2 nic's in 2 of my machines and always wlan0 get's assigned to the builtin card (mobo integrated, and "always" in that I have never observed otherwise).
Is this a problem for you tallboy?
One of my machines has nvidia chipset with forcedeth onboard lan with a realtek pci nic and the other is a SiS chipset, with onboard SiS nic and a realtek pci nic.

APPENDIX: In my experience, only autoconnect to network works with wlan0, or the first live connection . If my ethernet is plugged to the second card I have to configure my connection manually. I can see if it switches then this would be an issue on a dvd save install.

tallboy

#250 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, 01micko.
It doesn't really matter, I always use the wizard anyway, because I move between machines.

tallboy

Brown Mouse

CUPS problems

#251 Post by Brown Mouse »

Having problems with Cups whilst trying to set my HP3650 printer up.
I added the usual drivers that I know work but when I click on 'CUPS printer Wizard',get an 'Xdialog' box which ask if I need help with a adding a printer and when clicked on,it disappears.
I tried to set it up manually through 'localhost:631' in Firefox but it still refuses to work.
After several hours of playing,I installed an older CUPS version 1.3.11 and it now prints.

rcrsn51

#252 Post by rcrsn51 »

CUPS printing definitely works in Slacko 5.4. But that initial "Do you need help?" box uses "defaultbrowser" to start CUPS.

If you have been switching web browsers, you may have changed this.

Here is a test. Boot a clean Slacko off its CD using "puppy pfix=ram". Try CUPS again.

Brown Mouse

#253 Post by Brown Mouse »

rcrsn51 wrote:CUPS printing definitely works in Slacko 5.4. But that initial "Do you need help?" box uses "defaultbrowser" to start CUPS.

If you have been switching web browsers, you may have changed this.

Here is a test. Boot a clean Slacko off its CD using "puppy pfix=ram". Try CUPS again.
Thanks rcrsn51

Yes,the web browser switching would definitely account for the first part of my problem as I did change the original Firefox for an up-datable version some while ago.But I'm still unsure why I'm unable to configure my printer to work in CUPS from within the browser.

rcrsn51

#254 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are you saying that the CUPS wizard started but didn't work?

One of the problems with switching browsers is that old CUPS web pages may still be in the browser cache.

But now that you have installed the old CUPS, it is impossible to debug your situation.

Again, running a temporary clean Slacko would help to clarify things.

Brown Mouse

#255 Post by Brown Mouse »

rcrsn51 wrote:Are you saying that the CUPS wizard started but didn't work?
No,the CUPS wizard doesn't start.I only see the Xdialog box until it vanishes after selecting either the yes or no choice.
As you confirmed it to be working,I can only presume that I have broken it by changing the original Firefox that came with this Slacko.

rcrsn51

#256 Post by rcrsn51 »

How are you starting CUPS now? From the Xdialog box? Or from localhost:631 in your web browser?

Brown Mouse

#257 Post by Brown Mouse »

rcrsn51 wrote:How are you starting CUPS now? From the Xdialog box? Or from localhost:631 in your web browser?
Cups will only start from localhost:631 in the browser,not by using the wizard..
Also,It would only start in this way before I decided to try installing the older version of CUPS.
However,I do have a backup copy of the savefile before I decided to install the printer this morning. :D

rcrsn51

#258 Post by rcrsn51 »

From the command line, run

defaultbrowser http://localhost:631

Brown Mouse

#259 Post by Brown Mouse »

rcrsn51 wrote:From the command line, run

defaultbrowser http://localhost:631
Permission denied :(

rcrsn51

#260 Post by rcrsn51 »

Brown Mouse wrote:Permission denied
Go to the folder /usr/local/bin and check the permissions on the file defaultbrowser. It is probably not executable.

If just checked a clean install of slacko-5.4-firefox-4g.iso.

I ran Setup > PupControl > Hardware > Printer > Install > "Do you want help" > No

The CUPS 1.4.8 web interface started correctly.