Problem with keyboard layout languages

Booting, installing, newbie
zmei

Problem with keyboard layout languages

#1 Post by zmei »

I installed the new 5.4.2 and it is ok, but i can't set my layout with two languages.

The first problem is that I can't set the layout to the new phonetic for my languages, only find default which is not used and it is totally different, so it is hard for me to use.

The second is that even with the default phonetic I can't set layout switcher for permanent use. I tried to install switcher pet which i used with success in the older version, but when I install it here, my bottom bar disappears.

If someone have solution and want to help, thanks in advance!

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Welcome to the forum 8)
---
Not entirely sure what you mean by phonetic keyboard layout, but maybe the following will help-

---
For two keyboard layouts I use fbxkb:

1. add layout

Puppy Menu > Setup > Mouse/Keyboard wizard

Advanced Xorg... > Layout > Use 'Add' (not 'change')

2. fbxkb displays a flag on the panel, for which language is in use
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/fbxkb

saintless

Re: Problem with keyboard layout languages

#3 Post by saintless »

zmei wrote:The second is that even with the default phonetic I can't set layout switcher for permanent use. I tried to install switcher pet which i used with success in the older version, but when I install it here, my bottom bar disappears.
This is easy one:
saintless wrote:In the menu window where you choose layout and layout variant you have another menu "Options". On the top you have "Group shift/lock behavior" where you can choose key combination to change the layout.

See the attached picture.
About your phonetic layout it doesn't appear at all as an option or when you choose it it does not work? Which exactly is this keyboard layout?
Attachments
snapshot4.jpg
(52.57 KiB) Downloaded 637 times

zmei

Re: Problem with keyboard layout languages

#4 Post by zmei »

About your phonetic layout it doesn't appear at all as an option or when you choose it it does not work? Which exactly is this keyboard layout?
Thank you guys about the switcher.

Now for the phonetic problem - it shows the option "phonetic" but it is not phonetic - it is traditional layout which don't match the English letters and that makes the writing very slow.

At the older versions everything worked fine, It was possible for me to chose the both variants - traditional layout and phonetic layout for my language.

saintless

#5 Post by saintless »

Hi, Zmei,

If you do the correct changes in /etc/X11/xorg.conf it might solve your problem. Don't forget first to backup the original xorg.conf file.
Here is mine xorg.conf section for bulgarian phonetic layout:

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option      "XkbModel" "pc102"
	Option      "XkbLayout" "us,bg" #xkeymap0
	Option      "XkbVariant" ",phonetic"
EndSection
You wrote you had working phonetic layout in older puppy. See what is InputDevice section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf there and make the changes manual in the same file in your new puppy. It might work.

Cheers, Toni

zmei

#6 Post by zmei »

saintless wrote:Hi, Zmei,

If you do the correct changes in /etc/X11/xorg.conf it might solve your problem. Don't forget first to backup the original xorg.conf file.
Here is mine xorg.conf section for bulgarian phonetic layout:

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option      "XkbModel" "pc102"
	Option      "XkbLayout" "us,bg" #xkeymap0
	Option      "XkbVariant" ",phonetic"
EndSection
You wrote you had working phonetic layout in older puppy. See what is InputDevice section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf there and make the changes manual in the same file in your new puppy. It might work.

Cheers, Toni
I pasted this code after in xorg.config and repeated layout setup, and after computer reboot the problem was solved. I can't figure out what the problem was, but anyway - thanks to all of you for the fast replays and especially thanks to Tony :)

All the best!