questions before I try Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
rayandrews

questions before I try Puppy

#1 Post by rayandrews »

Hello World,

Time to try a more minimal distro. Puppy seems to be the most established of these, and I like what I read. Barry has some cool ideas, that's for sure. But before diving in, there's a few things I need to know:

Will Puppy work with LILO? I realize I'm a bit of a fanatic about this, but the sad truth is that I start foaming at the mouth when anyone mentions GRUB, I just loathe it. I won't suffer it to be on any machine I own. This is bloatware at it's worst. M$ themselves could not write a more obscure, impenetrable nightmare. I'd rather run Windoze than boot linux via GRUB. On my current Mint installs I remove every last trace of it and use LILO. How can a distro that prides itself on being minimalistic use GRUB? That alone would be 1/2 the size of the install. GRUB thinks it owns your computer and that it is the most important part of your system. LILO knows that it's just a humble boot loader.

How is Puppy's support for multiple monitors? I have three and the stuff I do requires no less than two.

One bitch right off the bat: Why is there no link to this forum on the homepage? Homepage is nice, simple, informative and direct, but no link to the forum. Seems like an oversight.

Oh, and did I mention that I don't like GRUB? ;-)

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

Haven't done multimonitor myself but some forum members seem to excell at setting them up correctly, so it is possible. Check out this couple of posts by Q5sys:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=2081

rayandrews

#3 Post by rayandrews »

greengeek wrote:Haven't done multimonitor myself but some forum members seem to excell at setting them up correctly, so it is possible. Check out this couple of posts by Q5sys:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=2081
Thanks greengeek, good to know. I'd not really expect any problems, but it never hurts to ask. I hope I get some feedback on the LILO question.

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

Hello and welcome rayandrews

To answer your lilo query, yes.

I wrote a printable tutorial in rtf format here. Any problems just ask.

By the way, we only use grub (legacy) and grub4dos, neither as bloated and entwined as grub2.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rayandrews

#5 Post by rayandrews »

01micko wrote:Hello and welcome rayandrews

To answer your lilo query, yes.

I wrote a printable tutorial in rtf format here. Any problems just ask.

By the way, we only use grub (legacy) and grub4dos, neither as bloated and entwined as grub2.
micko,
Ok thanks, that's about all I need to know to give Puppy a try. BTW I'm interested to see how the thing goes with 'root'. I understand you do things a bit differently. Personally, on this single user computer, I get tired of typing sudo a hundred times a day. If I can run as root and still be 'externally secure' that will be very nice.