ksystemlog

Miscellaneous tools
wk57

ksystemlog

#1 Post by wk57 »

I don't know if this is an unusual measure of success but I figured I'd post about it in case anyone in the future is looking to do the same.

So I've got myself a nice little Full Installation of Puppy Precise 5.4.2.3 running within VMWare, installed to the (virtual) hard drive.

After installing the service pack (5.4.2 -> 5.4.2.3) in Puppy Package Manager and updating the PPM database, I used it to install ksystemlog_4.8.5, the KDE GUI log viewer, from the ubuntu-precise-main repository.

With all the dependencies it took forever to install, of course—basically installing the entirety of KDE, I presume. But after everything finished, the UI worked fine apart from a few error popups about missing MIME types, however it would segfault if I tried to actually open any log files. (Oddly enough I could open binary files which would produce a bunch of garbage log entries I could browse through without causing any crashes; it was just the files that got parsed properly that caused segfaults.)

Taking the hint from the error messages and some research on the forums here I installed devx_precise_5.4.2.sfs and ran

Code: Select all

update-mime-database
and that resolved all of the issues.

Puppy is pretty damn impressive, lemme tell ya.