How to use wireless in old Vaio pcgfrv25?

Booting, installing, newbie
601gurrl

How to use wireless in old Vaio pcgfrv25?

#1 Post by 601gurrl »

I am a total newbie to this TahrPup 6.0.2 . I installed it on an older Sony Vaio PCG-FRV25. kernel is linux 3.14.20
I know absolutely zip about Linux. However, I have been googling to see what I can find out trying to get my wifi working. After having no luck with the 3 choices of networking setup that is built in.

could someone please guide me through this?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Do you know for a fact that the laptop has a built-in wireless interface? If it doesn't, are you trying to use an external wireless adapter of some kind, via Ethernet or USB?

601gurrl

#3 Post by 601gurrl »

yes it does have wireless built in. I just do not know how to get the driver installed for it. I did get the ethernet driver installed, which was the 8139too module.

darry1966

#4 Post by darry1966 »

601gurrl

#5 Post by 601gurrl »

i finally got wireless working. and managed to install it to the hard drive. not very user friendly for people used to windows but i like it ;)

mikeslr

Hardware drivers

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi 601gurrl,

Welcome to the kennels. Glad you like Tahrpup, and glad you got it working.

For future reference, when hardware is built, it is built for a pc running windows. Its manufacturer also build the drivers it needs on the assumption that neither component assemblers/pc-manufacturers nor users of Windows will buy hardware which doesn't work out of the box. Only a few will even consider building drivers to run under Linux. That job is left to volunteers, i.e, Linux fans. Hardware drivers are kernel specific. With each new kernel, new hardware drivers have to be built.
So, my statement "glad you got it working" wasn't just passing the time.
But while its still fresh in your memory, for the benefit of any others who have your model of computer, could you provide instructions on how you did it.

Thanks,

mikesLr

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

601gurrl wrote:i finally got wireless working.
That's great. But you didn't mention how, so if anyone else with the same hardware stumbles upon this forum thread, there's no useful information here to help them.

Google tells me that the only form of wifi available for your model of laptop is the (optional) accessory PCMCIA/Cardbus device; Sony PCWA-C150S. So it appears to me that your wifi device is almost certainly a PCMCIA card, even if not that particular Sony model of PCMCIA card.
601gurrl wrote:it does have wireless built in.
Just to be clear, PCMCIA/Cardbus cards are "plug-in", not "built in".