Puppy stuck on Saving RAM to pup_save file

Using applications, configuring, problems
edwin.evans

Puppy stuck on Saving RAM to pup_save file

#1 Post by edwin.evans »

I have the orange banner at the top of my screen showing "Saving RAM to 'pup_save' file..." and it isn't going away. Any suggestion for how to resolve this?

As a possibly related note, from the /var/log/messages it's shutting down a mono service. Is there some reason why it would be trying to shut down a service?

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

is Puppy working okay apart from message, does it return when you boot up?

could it be something to do with the save interval?

edwin.evans

#3 Post by edwin.evans »

darkcity wrote:is Puppy working okay apart from message, does it return when you boot up?

It works fine after reboot. It seems to be working OK apart from that message, but I'm also having the issue with the daemon getting shut down which could be related. Perhaps I will try changing it to always write to Flash...

edwin.evans

#4 Post by edwin.evans »

edwin.evans wrote:
darkcity wrote:is Puppy working okay apart from message, does it return when you boot up?

It works fine after reboot. It seems to be working OK apart from that message, but I'm also having the issue with the daemon getting shut down which could be related. Perhaps I will try changing it to always write to Flash...
Is there any way I can see if it is really saving the RAM to file? Sometimes it eventually goes away (after many minutes). This is my memory usage:

Mem: total 514684, used 507448, free 7236, shared 0, buffers 30592

My lupusave.2fs has 357 MB free out of 512 total.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

SFR

#5 Post by SFR »

There's similar problem concerning the latest Slacko-5.4, reported by me and a couple of other members.
Check out the following posts and links included in them:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 110#672110
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 122#673122
(BTW, the workaround that I'm using, presented in the second post, has proved to not be so good in the long run, so I don't recommend it).
Is there any way I can see if it is really saving the RAM to file?
For example, you can use this:

Code: Select all

watch -n1 df /initrd/pup_ro1
Every 1 second you'll get current size of your savefile.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]