ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
darkcity

#136 Post by darkcity »

backi wrote:....
Downloaded and burńt iso twice .

It could not find archpup-1212sfs.
Whats wrong . Or is this iso not meant for live Cd ?
Maybe bad download . The older version did start from Dvd .
Can anybody help ?
Not tried burning the ISO, just frugal install to harddrive

Is that possible for you?

1) I copied the 3 files: archpup-1212.sfs, initrd.gz, vmlinuz to /mnt/home/archpup

2) added the following lines to the grub menu file /mnt/home/boot/grub/menu.lst

Code: Select all

#Linux title archpup 
  title archpup on dev sda1 psubdir archpup
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /archpup/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 psubdir=archpup
  initrd /archpup/initrd.gz
---

If 1204 worked okay that could point to your ISO image being bad, or something wrong with the upload. Unfortunately I couldn't find a checksum for the image MD5SUM for example.

EDIT found checksum
ccbf02a4e95d8a1faab018ebd6b19d71 *archpup-12.12.iso

Has anyone else successfully burnt 1212 to CD/DVD?
Last edited by darkcity on Fri 04 Jan 2013, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#137 Post by backi »

Hi darkcity !

Did what you told me . Archpup is booting now as frugal .

But from DVD does not start .
Maybe somethings wrong with my Dvd .

Thanks !

simargl

#138 Post by simargl »

Is pacmanxg working for you.. because I got this :roll:
Runtime error 203 at $0805FEDA
$0805FEDA
$08060229
$080B51C4
$B74E8605
In PKGBUILD is arch=('i686' 'x86_64'), so it shouldn't be wrong architecture. :?

nancy reagan

#139 Post by nancy reagan »

stifiling wrote: This distro has the potential to be GREAT for beginners, to intermediates, to advanced users.

i think if u were to illustrate in the first post a mini ArchPup for dummies, or smthn to that extent....explaining it to the kind of ppl that still 'burns another CD for every puppy they try' this thing will take off. 'maybe'. a lotta ppl don't like to do too much reading either.
Being a low profile wannabee user I do not try every new distro, though I tried this one. I thought I was going to use this one for my overheated old notebook, but as I missed some pets I'd thought "try it later" but thought it to be too much time to read the evergrowing thread to read for the moment.

Thought was going to await the new iso and thought there was going to be a small "howto" on top of the thread.

However, most programmers and tweakers can very hard replace themselves in the minds of users.

Therefore so many diamonds in linux get lost and will Windows for still many years to come remain the leading os, maybe greatly influenced by the manifold of tablets.

Hope Archpup will have a long life.

stifiling

#140 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:Is pacmanxg working for you.. because I got this :roll:
Runtime error 203 at $0805FEDA
$0805FEDA
$08060229
$080B51C4
$B74E8605
In PKGBUILD is arch=('i686' 'x86_64'), so it shouldn't be wrong architecture. :?
i got that error too. i've seen it before as well when trying to execute the transmission-remote-gui app.

i pulled the pacman gui app out of Manjaro, edited it to work with urxvt and repackaged it. zenity is a dependency. (updated zenity not needed)

The extension .xz isn't allowed as attachments, so delete the .gz on the end and install with pacman -U /path/to/pacman-gui-0.1-14-i686.pkg.tar.xz

I'm also attaching a filemnt script that mounts sfs 2fs 3fs 4fs and iso files. it mounts them in /mnt/filename.ext. it works with notify-send if it's installed. it works as expected almost exactly the same as the default puppy filemnt script. install the exact same way with "pacman -U /path/to/filemnt-0.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz"
Attachments
pacman-gui-0.1-14.1-i686.pkg.tar.xz.gz
Zenity not needed. Uses yad.
(14.04 KiB) Downloaded 431 times
filemnt-0.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz.gz
(844 Bytes) Downloaded 439 times
Last edited by stifiling on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:35, edited 2 times in total.

mavrothal

#141 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote: i pulled the pacman gui app out of Manjaro, edited it to work with urxvt and repackaged it. zenity is a dependency.
Zelity is not a "known" dependency anymore. Use yad instead. Works OK BTW.
stifiling wrote:I'm also attaching a filemnt script that mounts sfs 2fs 3fs 4fs and iso files. it mounts them in /mnt/filename.ext.
You may want to add a desktop entry to it so thunar can be "instructed" to handle relevant files with it.
Works fine also.

PacmanGX4 32-bit works for me. Tried to get the 64-bit today but I got a "not found" error. Maybe latter.

(BTW, looking at the picture I attached :shock: , you may want to add freememapplet_tray from puppy so one can have a sense of space left in the savefile. All it needs to work is "ln -sf /usr/lib/libpng15.so.15.13.0 /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0" )
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stifiling

#142 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal, that version of pacmanxg u're using is older than the one currently in the AUR. would u mind posting that version for us...

oui

use of SFS

#143 Post by oui »

hi

I did begin to use the «load-SFS-on-fly» function at the first boat with ArchPup (with other puplets, I did create a very smal save file with 32 mb. such a poor save file is absolutely not necessary with ArchPup! As such a file limit the usable RAM memory, I don't use any save file at all! why would I do that :lol: !)...

but it is wiry:

each day the same lot of little windows with absurd questions: I know what I do - I do it daily! all day the same things... I don't daily need the same silly dilly comments and warnings...

next claim is that I get an invitation to start one application especially in LibreOffice, where I usually then mark «writer», but this invitation starts nothing: it seems don't to work in ArchPup (it works in the Puplet made by Petihar that I am testing for him, so I think: It would have to work :roll: !)

no other way else than continue, hit on the window, search the item in the menu, open the right subdivision, constate that «load-SFS-on-fly» did not install the item in the right subdivision, do the same a second time and finally hit on the subdivision «other» to get access to the wished «LibreOffice 3.5 Writer» what I already did mark as wished during the «load-SFS-on-fly» installation :roll: ...

how to better this uncomfortable situation costing a lot of time and exasperating?

(my own intention would be to preload divers SFS in a remastered version! So all my needed SFS would be immediately active as by using an -for other purposes unneeded- save file. The question is to register the SFS in the file system and load them into the layered file system, fill the /usr/share/applications with the needed file and register the applications to adequate type of files like LO3.5-Writer as standard application for (.odt's etc... Perhaps a way without cost the opening of a lot of little windows in the /root/.start file? or a Thunar extension «hit+load» without any question :P ?)

rgds
Last edited by oui on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#144 Post by backi »

Hi nancy reagan !

Good comment .This is what i thought all the time but never posted .

It seems often in linux community ,if someone makes a learning step forwords , they forget about the people which they left behind .

Cheers !

oui

#145 Post by oui »

Hi backi, hi nancy reagan

you are right!

as darkcity, the most active wiki helper, is also very active here, it would be the best way don't to wait and to add in the wiki the special stuff really needed as you wish!
oui wrote:Next wishes:

a/ your recommendations:

You can, we can't, edit your first message again!

It would be a good thing to repeat all your main recommendations in short form at the end of the first message because the threads in Puppy have the terrible unpleasant many to reach terrible sizes. After that, newbies are not able any more to get compact information!

If you directly copy the code etc. of your answering message and copy it at this central place of the thread it is no supplementary effort for you at answering time instead a lot of unpleasant effort for all future users (or for you, if this forces you to write a special tutor to make your work better!)
I already did made attentive to this problem because it is really very unpleasant to have to collect along a long thread the «perhaps» possible needed informations!

rgds

simargl

Re: use of SFS

#146 Post by simargl »

oui: To automatically define standard application, you need only to add update-desktop-database in pinstall.sh script in sfs file. Post install action wasn't working in 12.12, but is fixed for new release.
mavrothal: Please upload PacmanXG somewhere for a test. That screenshot makes me envious :P
Last edited by simargl on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

stifiling

#147 Post by stifiling »

i agree with nancy's comment as well. I remember my beginning days i ran into an issue...and the solution was to "just write a bash script and.......". i thought "oh great, time to google 'bash script'".

It can be kinda like looking up a word in the dictionary, and still not knowing the meaning...because the definition is too hard to understand.

backi

#148 Post by backi »

Hi oui !
Not quite sure if this is the right place for this topic.
Want to ask you something . Did i understood you well as you stated above
The smaller the savefile ... the less it is eating ramspace ?
If so ( I like using SFS files ) my idea is making a stripped down remaster of my current or any else Puppy OS (replacing all Pet files with Sfs files if possible ) with my favourite settings and configurations , all my main programms will be Sfs files ( if possible ) which i start with sfsexec or loader .

Main question : does it reduce ram usage ? Which could be the most effecient way regarding low ram usage ?
Any idea ?

oui

#149 Post by oui »

Hi backi
backi wrote:Hi oui !
Not quite sure if this is the right place for this topic.
Want to ask you something . Did i understood you well as you stated above
The smaller the savefile ... the less it is eating ramspace ?
If so ( I like using SFS files ) my idea is making a stripped down remaster of my current or any else Puppy OS with my favourite settings and all my main programms will be Sfs files ( if possible ) which i start with sfsexec or loader .

Main question : does it reduce ram use ? Which could be the most effecient way regarding low ram usage ?
Any idea ?
as Puppy continuously saves your activity in the save file, it gives only the among of RAM free corresponding to the size of your save file (it is not is only one resource - there is a swap partition! but to save it is that...). so if you install a save file with 512 MB, and use an application to download saving through a temp(oraty) file or dir your download, you can't download more than that, in the best case (but you can download a full CD-rom if the download application saves directly or by steps on the medium where you have enough memory room as hard disk etc...)!

contrary to this, at the first boat, Puppy gives ALL your actual RAM free for saving!

in ArchPup-12.12 you can follow that in the memory bar at the right side of the screen (I did never create a save file in ArchPup! I don't know what happens in ArchPup in this matter. Check it yourself if you are using a save file :lol: !)

SFS files are not in RAM. they only influence the registration (a big SFS with a lot of binaries and files as full KDE with KDE-Office and Kdenlive will certainly cost room in RAM depending of an allowed only 32 MB save file :roll: ; but it is also possible that this goes into the swap, iif you does not swapoff and did install a swap, of course! Look at your Memory Bar indication!)...

rgds
Last edited by oui on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:46, edited 2 times in total.

simargl

#150 Post by simargl »

I edited sfs_load and removed this question "Do you want to run the application now?" after loading sfs module, because it wasn't working, and it's not needed anyway. If you want to test source is here https://bitbucket.org/simargl/sources/src, just replace /usr/sbin/sfs_load with this one, post install (and remove) scripts should work.

oui

#151 Post by oui »

thank you! I will test it this evening!

oui

#152 Post by oui »

mavrothal wrote:PacmanGX4 32-bit works for me. Tried to get the 64-bit today but I got a "not found" error.
oh! is a ArchPup64-13nn in coming soon?

oui

#153 Post by oui »

I don't know if it is the same on your PC but since I look at the «processors bar» on right on top of ArchPup, I see that this forum catch all the processor (old Celeron :oops: ) power as soon as a forum editor window is open!

is that normal?

simargl

#154 Post by simargl »

There is problem with running applications as non-root user, and this is needed since some of them refuse to execute with root account like 0 A.D, vlc... And to illustrate this is output from terminal when I tried to run geany as user spot:
[root@archpup ~]# su spot
sh-4.2$ geany

(geany:3737): Pango-WARNING **: error opening config file '/root/.config/pango/pangorc': Permission denied

sh-4.2$ whoami
spot
sh-4.2$ echo $HOME
/root/spot
sh-4.2$
So, geany refuses to start because it tries to save its settings in /root (and gets Permission denied) instead of /root/spot. Can someone test this example with different puppy linux version?
EDIT: Ignore this, it's fixed...
Last edited by simargl on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 14:53, edited 2 times in total.

mavrothal

#155 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:mavrothal, that version of pacmanxg u're using is older than the one currently in the AUR. would u mind posting that version for us...
Not sure how to do that but here is what I have in my system running http://www.datafilehost.com/download-389ed90f.html
md5sum: d28f821ffe75857939f729e2c63a8a92 (PacmanXG-4.13.10_beta.tar.gz)

Latter: Hmm, I run this on a 64bit Intel Duo2 machine and I get the same 203 error. On the 32bit VIA7 machine runs fine :?
This is also the case for the latest 4.13.12-2 version.
Maybe notify the developer
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==