ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stifiling

#271 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:Yes it will be separate, but only if it's possible to overwrite files from main sfs, with those from archapps.sfs
the way that i would accomplish that is by using the archpupx script and a tmp file stored on the archapps.sfs, so if it gets auto loaded archpupx could have an if command scripted at the beginning of it like:

Code: Select all

if /etc/tmpprofile; then
     rm /etc/profile
     mv /etc/tmpprofile /etc/profile
fi
i know that if command isn't right, but i know u get the point.

so if it's done like this, tmpprofile would be visible and not overlayed because it would have that odd name, and it would be moved to the top layer before X starts.

mavrothal

#272 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:What's important with adrv or better call it apdrive, is if that sfs module will be able to overwrite files in archpup-12.12.sfs.
If you add xfce desktop then /etc/profile needs to be overwritten in order to replace
export WINDOW_MANAGER="openbox"
with:
export WINDOW_MANAGER="xfce4-session"
EDIT: To continue using archapps-12.12.sfs, it's best to automatically load additional file
that contains archapps-*.sfs, so it will support newer version and also different names like archapps-xfce.sfs
Lets not get carried away.
The {a,apps,archapps}drv.sfs that auto-loads on boot should be only one (imagine someone trying to load and run 2 different desktops). For user facilitation a gtldialog/yad script could be included in the base as a GUI to choose which of the available SFSs will renamed to adrv.sfs for next boot, but even this might be an exaggeration. You do not even need terminal to rename a file and everyone know how to do it from the file manager.

Regarding over-writing, all the SFSs except the savefile and pup_rw are below the main sfs in the layered filesystem. So any overwriting must be done by an install script in the said SFS.
I believe SFS_load supports running install scripts (didn't check the archpup version) and something similar should be added in the rc.sysinit if adrv.sfs needs this.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stifiling

#273 Post by stifiling »

/etc/profile wouldn't need to be overwritten anyhow if it only existed in the adrv, right?

adrv.sfs = window manager, editor, filemanager, alsa, etc.

main.sfs = cups, firmware, modules, pacman

why is this view being so ignored? Somebody please tell me so i can let it go.

simargl

#274 Post by simargl »

stifiling wrote:/etc/profile wouldn't need to be overwritten anyhow if it only existed in the adrv, right?
It wouldn't need to be overwritten if I remove /etc/profile from main sfs, but I can't remove it, because it specifies needed environment variables. Anyway, for me it seems easier to just inside sfs file (xfce.sfs ?), make pinstall.sh script that will replace window manager in /etc/profile. This adrv thing looks like too complicated.

mavrothal

#275 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:
stifiling wrote:/etc/profile wouldn't need to be overwritten anyhow if it only existed in the adrv, right?
It wouldn't need to be overwritten if I remove /etc/profile from main sfs, but I can't remove it, because it specifies needed environment variables. Anyway, for me it seems easier to just inside sfs file (xfce.sfs ?), make pinstall.sh script that will replace window manager in /etc/profile. This adrv thing looks like too complicated.
:twisted:

Not really.
To "satisfy" stifiling all you need is to remove /usr/bin/archpupx. Then X will not start. And there are other ways too.

I had some progress on the adrv :D. The attached initrd patch will mount archapps sfs (renamed adrv_arch_1212.sfs) fine on /initrd/pup_a.
Pls remind me the script that you modify the puppy initrd.gz with so I can make a proper patch (including the mode'ing commands) for your repo (but please feel free to do it yourself :P )

Although not mandatory, I also included DISTRO_IDSTRING. Makes file detection more efficient. You just need to add it in the SFSs and the kernel with

echo -n "$DISTRO_IDSTRING" >> target_file
Are we ready then? No.
The union is not formed properly. The sfs in mounted in /initrd/pup_a and files there open ok (tried firefox) but /initrd/pup_a is not part of the union.
So I have to look in the main sfs :( .
Is Archpup using anything unique (comparing to traditional puppies) to set up the layered FS (besides missing aufs-utils)?

Latter. The 7 people that downloaded this patch please disregard it and download the new one that works OK!
Last edited by mavrothal on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 18:31, edited 4 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

mavrothal

#276 Post by mavrothal »

Is archdev-12.12.2.sfs still uploading?
The link provided in the first post does not work nor http://sourceforge.net/projects/archpup/files/12.12.2/ has it.

wsamh

#277 Post by wsamh »

Does xorgwizard work on archpup?

stifiling

#278 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal wrote:To "satisfy" stifiling all you need is to remove /usr/bin/archpupx.
It's not for me, it's for users that want it clean, but also with pacman. So just removing that file, isn't not gonna clean it out.

It's to appeal to arch linux users. Users who want only: kernel, modules, and pacman....and not 1 byte of nothing else.

users who still pick Arch Linux, over Arch Bang....Arch Bang comes with a window manager, a terminal, etc. Arch Linux comes with nothing. only, kernel and pacman, and ppl love it for that.

And this can be accomplished. where it would satisfy both kinds of users....using the adrv, if we can get it going, and also if simargl is interested in setting it up that way.

everything should be in the adrv. alsa, gtk, everything...except pacman.

mavrothal

#279 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:
mavrothal wrote:To "satisfy" stifiling all you need is to remove /usr/bin/archpupx.
It's not for me, it's for users that want it clean, but also with pacman. So just removing that file, isn't not gonna clean it out.
From what I can see the discussion was at the point of removing profile from the base so X will start when adrv is loaded without the need to overwite files in the base. Moving archpupx out of the base, an equally small file will do just that without affecting general OS architecture.

On the question of what goes in the base. As you said kernel and pacman is already available. Kernel, pacman, X and a WM also...
But even if you are not happy with these, archpup build scripts are there too. Changing the names of the packages that go to the base over adrv over devx, is not really the issue.

The real issue is having a usable sytem that things work together well OOTB with an 80-150MB iso. Splitting the SFSs within the iso is secondary at this point.

For the "OOTB system", I would worry first about the kernel, which because of an environmental variable miss-configuration during source download and compile (language), has problems with its headers (and elsewhere?) and does not allow aufs-util compilation and use. It may also be the reason of the problematic udev.
In the "kernel" section also add all the peripherals/subsystem detection and firmware.

Then I would wary about X switching and monitor detection and configuration. The first is perennial problem with the multitude of hardware out there, while the second is currently missing from archpup.

After you establish a solid system that works on most hardware reliably, then you look at basic functionality, ie ease of installation, saving and reconfiguration, which are fairly different in puppy compared to other distros.

Finally, you decide on userspace apps and how to distribute them in your iso. The reason that I put the "file distribution" last is that it can affect bug detection and solution in the previous steps if everyone is using a different system.

But then again, all these may not be as fun to work on :P

stifiling

#280 Post by stifiling »

ok i see where your coming from.

at the same time though i did come across a way to illustrate, in a fully functioning and booting to Openbox iso. with 2 sfs files, and openbox in the second one, not the main one.

I'm sending it to you and sim right now.

dennis-slacko531

Can we open a 2nd thread for non-dev's please?

#281 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

A slower paced thread would be helpful. For example, seems I lost my default wallpaper while playing around. Unlike other pup's, when I put this red robot in /usr/share/backgrounds the system apparently renamed it "default" and the butterfly was gone! BTW, does anyone have a link to that butterfly? Anyone here use Twitter? Just a thought...

stifiling

Re: Can we open a 2nd thread for non-dev's please?

#282 Post by stifiling »

dennis-slacko531 wrote:A slower paced thread would be helpful. For example, seems I lost my default wallpaper while playing around. Unlike other pup's, when I put this red robot in /usr/share/backgrounds the system apparently renamed it "default" and the butterfly was gone! BTW, does anyone have a link to that butterfly? Anyone here use Twitter? Just a thought...

dennis you can retrieve the butterfly from the location in your puppy:

/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg

dennis-slacko531

#283 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Yes, it's there.... It took several trial & error "moves" with Thunar before I moved it from
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg --TO-- /root/default.jpg

Only after that it worked out via -- Preferences/Openbox/Change Wallpaper
Thanks for the solution. LOL, I was getting used to Red Robot..
*EDIT: If someone actually wants Red Robot, it's on my server at Godaddy.
**http://www.beok.com/Downloads/MARVINSKEW2.png (1.3MB)

jamesbond

#284 Post by jamesbond »

simargl wrote:
I haven't looked at archpup at all so take my comments with a grain of salt. For this particular problem, I think you can just drop SFS-specific /etc/profile into /etc/profile.d/ and name them accordingly, e.g. for the gui.sfs you can name it /etc/profile.d/gui.sh and make them executable. The code that does this lives in /etc/profile and has been there for a long time - Barry commented that he lifted it off from Vector. This way you can load any SFS in any order and all will have their required environment variables properly set.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

simargl

#285 Post by simargl »

@stifiling: This test iso works only with kernel parameter apextsfs=arch_openbox.sfs, otherwise additional sfs is not loaded. So that would require patching grub4dos, but even with that user will have to edit menu.lst every time for another arch_*.sfs. It's good idea that you moved /usr/bin/X to another sfs, so on boot it will not stuck trying to exec archpupx over and over again.

stifiling

#286 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:@stifiling: This test iso works only with kernel parameter apextsfs=arch_openbox.sfs, otherwise additional sfs is not loaded. So that would require patching grub4dos, but even with that user will have to edit menu.lst every time for another arch_*.sfs. It's good idea that you moved /usr/bin/X to another sfs, so on boot it will not stuck trying to exec archpupx over and over again.
grub4dos would need to be patched? boot parameters work with grub4dos.

yes, to change DE the user would have to change the boot parameter...what's so wrong wit that? it's not something they'll be doing two or three times a day.

but when i say picky users, i'm referring to users like oui. who didn't want a savefile, he didn't want pop up messages....this would give a user like him.....all of what they want, and none of what they don't want.

it would be impossible to hear a "i don't like this, how do i get rid of it?" comment.

peebee

#287 Post by peebee »

Wifi is working much better in the 12.12.2 version - still need to put b43 into the /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG addlist to get the driver to load and Pwireless2 doesn't manage to re-establish a working connection after a reboot without manual intervention (restart wpa-supplicant on the debug tab seems to do the trick).

Has anybody managed to get a synaptics touchpad working? I've installed xf86-input-synaptics-1.6.2 and its dependency mtdev-1.1.3-1 and edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf as shown on the Arch Linux wiki but I still don't have edge scrolling on my touchpad.....

Finally, I have a problem when I try to load the archdev-12.12.2.sfs - it just hangs on the message that it is running the pinstall script....

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mavrothal

adrv for archpup

#288 Post by mavrothal »

simargl, stifiling, et al,

this IS the full initrd patch that will allow adding in the fs-union an another (applications for example) sfs. :lol:

The name of the additional sfs is defined in DISTRO_SPECS and in this case in "adrv_arch_1212.sfs" but I it could be anything.
The DISTRO_SPECS also uses DISTRO_IDSTRING but this is not necessary for the system to work. Just better.

No changes outside initrd are needed for the system to work.

To be fair I did not do much :oops:.
Just adapted jemimah's code from Saluki for the latest woof initrd/init (last comment: 120328).
Should work in any recent puppy with this init and probably others (tried it with today's woof version and works fine)
Attachments
initrd.patch.gz
initrd patch that allows the addition of an adrv.sfs in the union during boot time.
(3 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Last edited by mavrothal on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 18:24, edited 2 times in total.

stifiling

#289 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal, can u upload the working initrd.gz file. i don't know how to apply the patch.

mavrothal

#290 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:mavrothal, can u upload the working initrd.gz file. i don't know how to apply the patch.
I suggest you learn. Fast :lol:

Till then here it is

Keep in mind for the specific initrd.gz
a) is the 12.12.1 initrd but I believe should work with 12.12.2 since the archpup sfs file name is the same.
b) that your adrv sfs must be named exactly:

archapps-12.12.sfs
(yes works with any name :) )
c) that you must add the included IDSTRING to your vmlinuz and SFSs like this:

echo -n l212ARCH09012013XXXXXXXXXXXX1234 >> vmlinuz  # etc
typos are lethal here

d) learn to patch :P
Last edited by mavrothal on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.