ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stifiling

#286 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:@stifiling: This test iso works only with kernel parameter apextsfs=arch_openbox.sfs, otherwise additional sfs is not loaded. So that would require patching grub4dos, but even with that user will have to edit menu.lst every time for another arch_*.sfs. It's good idea that you moved /usr/bin/X to another sfs, so on boot it will not stuck trying to exec archpupx over and over again.
grub4dos would need to be patched? boot parameters work with grub4dos.

yes, to change DE the user would have to change the boot parameter...what's so wrong wit that? it's not something they'll be doing two or three times a day.

but when i say picky users, i'm referring to users like oui. who didn't want a savefile, he didn't want pop up messages....this would give a user like him.....all of what they want, and none of what they don't want.

it would be impossible to hear a "i don't like this, how do i get rid of it?" comment.

peebee

#287 Post by peebee »

Wifi is working much better in the 12.12.2 version - still need to put b43 into the /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG addlist to get the driver to load and Pwireless2 doesn't manage to re-establish a working connection after a reboot without manual intervention (restart wpa-supplicant on the debug tab seems to do the trick).

Has anybody managed to get a synaptics touchpad working? I've installed xf86-input-synaptics-1.6.2 and its dependency mtdev-1.1.3-1 and edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf as shown on the Arch Linux wiki but I still don't have edge scrolling on my touchpad.....

Finally, I have a problem when I try to load the archdev-12.12.2.sfs - it just hangs on the message that it is running the pinstall script....

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mavrothal

adrv for archpup

#288 Post by mavrothal »

simargl, stifiling, et al,

this IS the full initrd patch that will allow adding in the fs-union an another (applications for example) sfs. :lol:

The name of the additional sfs is defined in DISTRO_SPECS and in this case in "adrv_arch_1212.sfs" but I it could be anything.
The DISTRO_SPECS also uses DISTRO_IDSTRING but this is not necessary for the system to work. Just better.

No changes outside initrd are needed for the system to work.

To be fair I did not do much :oops:.
Just adapted jemimah's code from Saluki for the latest woof initrd/init (last comment: 120328).
Should work in any recent puppy with this init and probably others (tried it with today's woof version and works fine)
Attachments
initrd.patch.gz
initrd patch that allows the addition of an adrv.sfs in the union during boot time.
(3 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Last edited by mavrothal on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 18:24, edited 2 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stifiling

#289 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal, can u upload the working initrd.gz file. i don't know how to apply the patch.

mavrothal

#290 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:mavrothal, can u upload the working initrd.gz file. i don't know how to apply the patch.
I suggest you learn. Fast :lol:

Till then here it is

Keep in mind for the specific initrd.gz
a) is the 12.12.1 initrd but I believe should work with 12.12.2 since the archpup sfs file name is the same.
b) that your adrv sfs must be named exactly:

Code: Select all

archapps-12.12.sfs
(yes works with any name :) )
c) that you must add the included IDSTRING to your vmlinuz and SFSs like this:

echo -n l212ARCH09012013XXXXXXXXXXXX1234 >> vmlinuz  # etc
typos are lethal here

d) learn to patch :P
Last edited by mavrothal on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stifiling

#291 Post by stifiling »

thanks man...it's working perfectly and is extremely useful.

mavrothal

#292 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:thanks man...it's working perfectly and is extremely useful.
OK...
Let's see the goods then :wink:

simargl

#293 Post by simargl »

Thanks mavrothal 8) , now I will test this, but could you just explain is adding DISTRO_IDSTRING really necessary, and in patch is +DISTRO_IDSTRING='l212ARCH09012013XXXXXXXXXXXX1234', maybe it should be 1 not l. What name would you choose for DISTRO_ADRVSFS in archpup, we should choose it now and always use the same. I've made one change in /etc/profile suggested by jamesbond, moved settings for WINDOW_MANAGER to /etc/profile.d/openbox.sh, and added this in /etc/profile.

for profile in /etc/profile.d/*.sh; do
  test -r "$profile" && . "$profile"
done
unset profile
Next (problematic) thing that needs fixing is /root/.xinitrc, because we want ~/.start& only for openbox, and not for xfce.

~/.start&
killall dbus-daemon &
exec dbus-launch $WINDOW_MANAGER
stifiling wrote: grub4dos would need to be patched? boot parameters work with grub4dos.
What I meant is that grub4dos-config, installed gui that writes menu.lst needs to be patched, not grub4dos by itself. Off course that's not necessary anymore.

stifiling

#294 Post by stifiling »

my idea is that"

adrv=archpup-DE-*.sfs (or whatever name)
zdrv=archapps.sfs

so that way, if there's an archpup-DE-xfce.sfs...it'll load that one, or if they switch to an archpup-DE-kde.sfs instead...it'll load that one. keeping the archapps.sfs separate, easily upgradeable, and ready to use with any archpup-DE-*.sfs environment.

also moving openbox out of the main.sfs...and into the adrv, will take the .xinitrc and .start scripts with it.

so an xfce.sfs won't have to fight with it...it will have it's on .xinitrc file. which won't exist in the main.sfs
Last edited by stifiling on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#295 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:Thanks mavrothal 8) , now I will test this, but could you just explain is adding DISTRO_IDSTRING really necessary, and in patch is +DISTRO_IDSTRING='l212ARCH09012013XXXXXXXXXXXX1234', maybe it should be 1 not l.
DISTRO_IDSTRING is an arbitrary 16bit number (32 alphanumeric characters) that is used by the initrd/init to identify better the SFSs that go with the specific kernel. Is not necessary but can help with complex installation setting.
In Archpup that is using the same sfs names for different versions maybe particularly usefull.
Regarding the specific number you are right. I corrected it in the above posted (I guess this typo not that lethal :P )

simargl wrote:What name would you choose for DISTRO_ADRVSFS in archpup, we should choose it now and always use the same.
ardv_arch_NNNN.sfs
"a" can be Additional, Alternative, Applications, Another...
Fits everything
stifiling wrote:adrv=archpup-DE-*.sfs (or whatever name)
zdrv=archapps.sfs
zdrive is traditionally used for the kernel, if you want to have it outside the main sfs so can be also changed easily without affecting the userspace SFSs.
If you need 3 userspace SFSs, you can use it as such, though will start looking like Tinycore. Without carefully curated SFSs can be a mess.
Last edited by mavrothal on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

stifiling

#296 Post by stifiling »

yes the zdrive is traditionally used for the modules. but archpup isn't using it at all. So this is a good way to put it to use. And not just to use it, but using it for a great reason.

so using those 3 sfs files would have the iso set up for any level of user. shed the archapps.sfs if all you want is DE for intermediates. shed the DE.sfs if all you want is base functionality, for experts.

so if the question is ever asked, "Anybody know of a distro for beginners?" the answer is Archpup

"Anybody know of a distro for intermediates?" Archpup

"Anybody know of a distro for experts?" Archpup
Last edited by stifiling on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#297 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:yes the zdrive is traditionally used for the modules. but archpup isn't using it at all.
yet...
(see above for the rest)

But, I do not intend to build any Archpup. The builders can do as they please. It's all OSS.

stifiling

#298 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal wrote:If you need 3 userspace SFSs, you can use it as such, though will start looking like Tinycore. Without carefully curated SFSs can be a mess.
Tinycore can be a mess, mus agree with that. i thought this way would've been clean though but.....maybe i'm wrong.

Scooby

Screen tearing when viewing videos

#299 Post by Scooby »

Thought I shared how I got rid of screen tearing on my hardware setup.

I have Intel graphics

Add file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with the following content:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
   Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection
:o no more tearing for me

Original info
Acceleration method
Tear-free video

Scooby

#300 Post by Scooby »

peebee wrote:
Has anybody managed to get a synaptics touchpad working? I've installed xf86-input-synaptics-1.6.2 and its dependency mtdev-1.1.3-1 and edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf as shown on the Arch Linux wiki but I still don't have edge scrolling on my touchpad.....
I tried to no success, but will tinker more with it

Scooby

#301 Post by Scooby »

mavrothal wrote: d) learn to patch :P
Yeah I want to learn, How is it done?

James C

#302 Post by James C »

mavrothal wrote: The builders can do as they please. It's all OSS.
After reading the claptrap in the last few pages of this thread I've lost all interest in this..........good luck to the builders. Open Source certainly is entertaining. :)

simargl

#303 Post by simargl »

DISTRO_ADRVSFS in DISTRO_SPECS will be named adrv-12.12.sfs, it will have all gui applications and window manager related stuff that are now in archpup-12.12.sfs. I will not add or remove any package, only will split them and plan to upload new iso tomorrow, it will have same version 12.12.2. What is important to mention is that adrv-12.12.sfs is mandatory, without it you will get kernel panic. archpup-12.12.sfs, adrv-12.12.sfs and vmlinuz will be signed with DISTRO_IDSTRING='1212ARCH09012013XXXXXXXXXXXX1234', I will edit build script to automatically add this.

yr1945

#304 Post by yr1945 »

@simargl, mavrothal, stifiling, oui, scooby, darkcity and everyone else participating in the development of ArchPup...

the OS is developing and evolving quite nicely...

i can now connect to my wireless network and even download applications via Pacman...

i have been learning things as you "guys" hammer out the issues...

Great Job... Thanks for your efforts and hard work... It is appreciated by many of us...

simargl

#305 Post by simargl »

Thanks yr1945, :) yes with help of archpup users it's getting better and better...

I made some changes in build script so it now works with adrv, for list of packages currently in adrv-12.12.sfs see https://bitbucket.org/simargl/archpup/r ... /arch-adrv. What else could I move from these two lists:arch-base, spkg-base?
btw adrv-12.12.sfs size is huuuge at 2.5MB :lol: