ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
simargl

#31 Post by simargl »

@oui: Keyboard layouts are provided by this package kbd-1.15.3-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz
I don't get typing errors, maybe you are using wrong keymap.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KEYMAP
There is problem with didiwiki connecting to localhost:8000, will try to fix that.

oui

#32 Post by oui »

Hi Simargl

Thank you for the infos.

a: Keymap

I did find the solution: The line in /root/.start for setxkbmap has to be written in extended style! As follow:

Code: Select all

01 #!/bin/sh
02 mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/home
03 imlibsetroot -p c -s f /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg &
04 setxkbmap -layout us -variant intl &
05 numlockx on &
06 if [ ! -f /usr/share/mime/globs ]; then update-mime-database /usr/share/mime; fi
07 if [ ! -f /etc/machine-id ]; then dbus-uuidgen > /etc/machine-id; fi
08 if [ ! -f /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache ]; then gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders 09 --update-cache; fi
10 mpg123 /usr/share/audio/login.mp3 &
11 sleep 2s
12 tint2 &
13 sleep 2s
14 conky &
15 volumeicon &
16 sleep 5s
17 didiwiki &
18 ifconfig lo up &
19 rdate -s tick.greyware.com
20 exit
See pls lines 02, 04 and 17/18 !

Consult the doc /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst .

b: Sound level

I would be interesting to enter in line 15 a noise level (because I use a earphone and the noise level can really be excessive at starting point. is that possible?

rgds

Note1: you did use a different writing to name the iso and the sfs! It generates writing errors :roll: ...
Note2: concerning line 02, a dir /mnt/home would be needed in the archpup-1212.sfs and each user has to enter is own partition number!
Why an "home" directory?
You can for example prepare in the archpup-1212.sfs a /root/.history with following content:

cd /mnt/home/archpup
mkdir install
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro2/* /mnt/home/archpup/install
mv /mnt/home/archpup/archpup-1212.sfs /mnt/home/archpup/archpup-1212.last1
mksquashfs install archpup-1212.sfs -comp xz -b 524288 -Xbcj x86
pacman -Ss > PackageList.txt
pacman -Ss browser
pacman -Sfd mtpaint
pacman -Syu
and have in ready-to-use form prepared actions for important steps to adapt the system...
nothing to do else as "cursor up" and return, or very little changes :wink:

etc. ...
Last edited by oui on Thu 20 Dec 2012, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

simargl

#33 Post by simargl »

Alsa sound levels are saved on reboot to file /etc/asound.state. If you want to remaster iso
with new audio levels just copy that file to new rootfs, or use alsactl store to update.
I see you install mtpaint, for me only image editor needed is http://pixlr.com/ 8)
edit: to connect localhost:8000 type this first in terminal

ifconfig lo up
That should start automatically with rc.sysinit and will be fixed for new releases.
Last edited by simargl on Wed 19 Dec 2012, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

slenkar

#34 Post by slenkar »

new version is very good

when I do packer -Sy it updates the databases for AUR but refuses to find any package in AUR that I search for

e.g.

packer -S mangler
doesnt work after updating databases with:
packer -Sy

simargl

#35 Post by simargl »

To search also in AUR run this first

update-ca-certificates 
That needs perl so either load archdev.sfs or install perl with pacman. Good luck

aragon

#36 Post by aragon »

Hi simargl,

Having more and more fun with archpup. As i'm running arch on some systems, i don't have 'cultural problems' with archpup.

One suggestion: maybe include a basic browser like links or dillo in the base so people could search for help (if they have a connection) without much fiddling. Or did i miss one?

Aragon

slenkar

#37 Post by slenkar »

thanks, have you tried installing chromium or iron-bin?
they have strange errors in startup, even after specifying a data-dir
Last edited by slenkar on Wed 19 Dec 2012, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

oui

#38 Post by oui »

Hi simargl
simargl wrote:I see you install mtpaint, for me only image editor needed is http://pixlr.com/ 8)
very well!
but I now have to learn more :x (how to shrink my photos to reduce them from 1..2 Mb > 100 kB, and eventually cut a part of the view!)

but really interesting!

you don't have a not installable webbrowser ($ wget url.php?mode=funny.browse) from net and how to link «browser» from puparch menu with it :roll: :wink: ?
edit: to connect localhost:8000 type this first in terminal

ifconfig lo up
I confirm, it works...

rgds

PS: Archpup.AMD64, after this wonderful Archpup.i686-1212when will he be available :lol: ?

mavrothal

snapmergearchpuppy

#39 Post by mavrothal »

wrong post
Last edited by mavrothal on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

T_Hobbit

#40 Post by T_Hobbit »

Hi

Freesbee also doesn't work... Or I don't know how to use it...

Anyway... Any small size alternative on arch/aur repos?
And any small battery icon for the tray?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

simargl

#41 Post by simargl »

T_Hobbit wrote:Hi

Freesbee also doesn't work... Or I don't know how to use it...

Anyway... Any small size alternative on arch/aur repos?
And any small battery icon for the tray?
After some quick search in AUR, I can suggest this two:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/connman-git/
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wpa_auto/
You can get battery info with conky...

edit:@mavrothal: Can this be incorporated in /usr/sbin/usbsave, because that script
is called from /sbin/reboot or /sbin/poweroff before rc.shutdown, this way looks like
it would be saving same thing twice. :?

oui

#42 Post by oui »

Hi
simargl wrote:to connect localhost:8000 type this first in terminal

ifconfig lo up
That should start automatically with rc.sysinit and will be fixed for new releases.
added in /root/.start, it works and nothing more to do :lol: ...

but there already are now a lot of tricks in both archpup thread. I think it will be useful to write an help file or a wiki page accessible through http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Archpup to find later the stuff again and if possible in an helpful order!

Concerning localhost:631, no contact possible. The error mssg in Firefox is not expressive. In Links2 it says "connection refused" but it is the only one Linux of more as 10 I have on the hard disk where this happens...

Next thematic:
Is there possible to cleanly bind (start the binding of) a SFS file (for ex./especially LibreOffice / jre for it) through the /root/.start (or other way) if no save file is used (my case: I will no SFS-file...). I actually use a symbolic link from a subdir in /mnt/home/myGoodies/LibreOffice to /usr/lib but, of course, it doesn't adapt the menu etc... so it is something subject to give problems because nobody find this again in the system! only I myself, if I do not forget it :roll: ...

rgds

rameshiyer

Arch Puppy

#43 Post by rameshiyer »

I have installed Arch puppy ( frugal) . However, I am not able to configure the LAN. (wired network). Hence no internet connection. How to setup local network in office environment. I didn't see any option in setup menu. Just wireless connection. Please help me.

mavrothal

#44 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote: edit:@mavrothal: Can this be incorporated in /usr/sbin/usbsave, because that script
is called from /sbin/reboot or /sbin/poweroff before rc.shutdown, this way looks like
it would be saving same thing twice. :?
OK. Here is a version that works without usbsave (and the calls to it)
Just make sure that you do not remove /tmp in rc.shutdown and you add the call to snapmergearchpuppy. ie rc.shutdown looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

echo -n "" > /var/log/messages
rm -rf {/root/{.adobe,.cache,.macromedia,.thumbnails},/var/log/X*}
exec snapmergearchpuppy 
clear
exec 1> /dev/null 2>&1
Latter To make it simpler the attached archsnap.tar.gz has all the required changes.
Just extract it and copy the contents at the root of your archpup filesystem
Attachments
archsnap.tar.gz
(4.21 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
snapmergearchpuppy.gz
(3.68 KiB) Downloaded 638 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

slenkar

#45 Post by slenkar »

Going into the tint config file and setting autohide to 1 helps a lot, but you have to increase the autohide border

rcrd

#46 Post by rcrd »

Hi,

Thank you very much sigmargl!

This is my very first post. I've using puppy as my main OS for years now, but only Archpup has made come out of the shell and join the forum. Puppy and Arch... unbelieveable!! I'm really enjoying it. Thanks a lot for the excellent work.

One thing, urxvt didn't display or accepted special characters (accented characters (geany did), I wanted to write in Spanish in vim), so I had to generate new locale and add it to etc/profile. I don't know if that was the right thing to do, but it is working fine now.

I haven't manage to get the savefile working, but I'm enjoying myself remastering.

Thanks for the excellent work

simargl

#47 Post by simargl »

Hi rcrd,
Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you like ArchPup :D. For problem with save file please I will
need some more information, is it on hard disk or usb and during boot process do you
see message like loading personal save file. If not try to select root of your partition when
making savefile, it will be created in folder archpup.

rcrd

#48 Post by rcrd »

Thanks for your help simargl

At the moment I have a frugal install of Archpup on HDD, Now, I have just created a savefile in root. I checked that the filesave was created, and it was, but when I rebooted, the boot process didn't find it, and then I checked but the directory Archpup and the savefile weren't there anymore.

In version 1204 I got kernel panic when creating a savefile in USB and HDD.

Thanks

rameshiyer

Arch Pup

#49 Post by rameshiyer »

I also have same problem. No save file after rebooting in frugal install. Another thing, my USB drive was also not detected.

mavrothal

#50 Post by mavrothal »

rameshiyer, rcrd, aand other with savefile problems try this:
On your first boot make your savefile either from the menu or typing "makepfile.sh" in the terminal.
Make sure you make the savefile it in a physical device partition and not in /root

Verify that your savefile is where it suppose to be. ie open Thunar and navigate to the mewly created savefile.
If not there, run again, preferably with the terminal command and look for errors.
If you can not make the savefile in a physical partition, look at the pup-volume-monitor, udev and kernel error logs for the root of the problem.

If the save file is OK, download archsnap.tar.gz
Open a terminal in the directory you downloaded archsnap.tar.gz and type

tar xvzf archsnap.tar.gz
cp -aR archsnap/* /
When you finish your work, just shutdown. Your data should be saved.
Works in 1212 and I believe should work with 1204 too.

Notice that if you have problems making the save file, archsnap is not going to help.