ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rameshiyer

Arch Puppy

#316 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear Stifiling

Thank you very much. As suggested by you , I have solved the clock problem. Now I am getting time from BIOS. Thanks once again.. How to change clock from 24 hours to 12 hours.

simargl

#317 Post by simargl »

Firefox (ver 17.0.1) in archapps is now outdated, and because it's hard to maintain with its frequent updates my plan is to switch to ESR (Extended Support Release). See ESR overview here http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/. I will add ESR-17.0.2 that will recieve security updates until firefox 19. Also will compile transmission to use qt for user interface, as in latest versions support for gtk2 is removed.

darkcity

Re: Arch Puppy

#318 Post by darkcity »

rameshiyer wrote:Dear Stifiling

Thank you very much. As suggested by you , I have solved the clock problem. Now I am getting time from BIOS. Thanks once again.. How to change clock from 24 hours to 12 hours.
Hi rameshiyer,

It looks like the time format hwclock returns is tied to a locale setting-
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ost2827245

did you solved the Wired LAN problem. Have you tried the commandline pns-tool? It could be some firmwire file is missing?

---
@stifiling I agree with your approach to making archpup as flexible as possible. However, simply stating number of users or youtube views doesnt mean anything - if it did Windows would be the best OS.

nooby

#319 Post by nooby »

Place holder for report how it behaves on an three years old
HP Compaq Desktop cheapest 64bitmdodel. I get back
if I managed to load it.
Any suggestion what boot code to load the Arch sfs
with the Firefox at boot? I use grup4dos menulist

Iuse this for lupu would that work for archpup too?

Edit from within ArchPup but have not tested things other
than rebooting creating savefile and doing load sfs of firefox
the clock had two hours wrong time first but then some script
without me telling it too seem to have looked in my HWclock something.

Haha most likely one don\t need both rootnoverify (hd0,0)
and (hd0,0) everywhere. I am too hasty not thinking things through.

title archpup
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/archpup/vmlinuz PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir=archpup pfix=fsck
initrd (hd0,0)/archpup/initrd.gz

So what am I supposed to test what is important to know?
Haha I must tell it to do Swedish keyboard how does one do that?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Arefacti

frenchy, froggies, français quoi !

#320 Post by Arefacti »

Hello,

I installed in frugal install Archpup next to my puppy (the metropuppy) on my Compaq Presario 2100 528MB ram.

I had a previous experience Archlinux and a great keepsake of this distribution in reinforced concrete, very educational and pacman (or yaourt) hyper efficient.
it works fine, I even wifi with my PCMCIA D-link card !

Thank you for this great job: hold good: just seen too new and Puppy disappear, not that one please.

Question: are there in the forum of French speaking people in order to help people like me for this distribution?

Example: Backups: I do NOT understand! : oops:

Well, thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonjour,

j'ai installé en frugal la Archpup à côté de ma puppy (la metropuppy), sur mon compaq Presario 2100 528 Mo de ram.

j'avais une expérience passée de Archlinux et un souvenir formidable de cette distribution en béton armé, très pédagogique et son pacman (ou yaourt) hyper performant.
elle fonctionne bien, j'ai même le wifi avec une carte pcmia D-link !

Merci pour ce travail formidable : tiens bon : enfin du neuf et on voit trop de Puppy disparaître, pas celle-là s'il te plaît.

Question : y a t'il dans le forum des personnes parlant le Français afin de pouvoir aider les gens comme moi pour cette distribution ?

Exemple : les sauvegardes : je n'ai RIEN compris ! :oops:

Voilà, merci.

nooby

#321 Post by nooby »

Need help telling it to use Swedish keyboard but
English in menu.

I first used setxkbmap se but so much have made a typo
now it works thanks.

How does one tell it to use mplayer instead of what it uses now
to play mp3?
Last edited by nooby on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Scooby

#322 Post by Scooby »

nooby wrote:Need help telling it to use Swedish keyboard but
English in menu.

I tried to use setxkbmap se but that seems to not work in terminal?
I\ve forgotten how one do it

Archwiki suggest this
KEYMAP=sv-latin1
Me bein Swedish me self makes me wanna hjälpa dig

My experience:
Yeah, setxkbmap works on everything else except terminal.
Geany, Firefox and so on works fine.

Maybe you can pacman a unicode terminal, I think that solves it.

nooby

#323 Post by nooby »

I've tested setxkbmap se and that works good thanks

What else to test.

I guess me should change mp3 to mplayer instead .
Last edited by nooby on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#324 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote: mavrothal: adrv will be there even if only 2 or 3 MB, because it will allow easy remasters with different DE, window managers, or in other languages. I will continue to make separate archapps with my prefered applications, so it will be there for those who wants to use it. Also I think that all hard work around adrv is done, it would be bad to throw that away.
Well, I guess this is one reason we have so many distros and pupplets (with so few users each :roll: ).

However, I still believe that offering a complete package in the ISO is a good idea if you want to go beyond linux enthusiasts.
On the other hand I have no wish to build an Archpup spin.
So here is what I did:

The attached initrd1-3.patch and initrd2-3.patch files will add also a YDRV sfs in the union!
So now you can have 3 SFSs (besides zdrv) that will autoload if found. :D

Currently the YDRV name is set to "archapps-12.12.sfs" but can be changes as needed in DIDTRO_SPECS.
Th 1-3 patch is for the original 12.12 sfs while the 2-3 patch is for today's version (with the adrv sfs)

Hopefully someone will put it to use...
Of course an ISO with the 3 SFSs will be bigger than 80MB but you'll be actually able to do something with it (other than download packages).

If you want to test it here is an initrd.gz that will load the 3 sfs.
The relevant names as included in DISTRO_SPECS are:

Code: Select all

DISTRO_IDSTRING='1212ARCH09012013XXXXXXXXXXXX1234'
DISTRO_PUPPYSFS='archpup-12.12.sfs'
DISTRO_ADRVSFS='adrv-12.12.sfs'
DISTRO_YDRVSFS='archapps-12.12.sfs'
Later If you use YRDV, is also suggested to patch your SFS_load with this patch
Attachments
initrd2-3.patch.gz
Patch to add a ydrv, in initrd that support adrv
(2.8 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
initrd1-3.patch.gz
Patch to add an adrv and a ydrv
(3.57 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Last edited by mavrothal on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 11:58, edited 2 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#325 Post by simargl »

Newly added package musl (for building static binaries) in archdev.sfs made problem in this: after ldconfig that is run on every boot it switches /usr/lib/libc.so symbolic link target from libc-2.16.so to ld-musl-i386.so.1. That breakes compiling of some packages , so I made new archdev-12.12.2.sfs with this coflicting package removed. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Last edited by simargl on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

stifiling

Re: Arch Puppy

#326 Post by stifiling »

darkcity wrote:@stifiling I agree with your approach to making archpup as flexible as possible. However, simply stating number of users or youtube views doesnt mean anything - if it did Windows would be the best OS.
I don't think Arch Linux is better than Puppy or vice versa....I think they're a head to head tie. The two best Linuxes of all. until now.

T_Hobbit

#327 Post by T_Hobbit »

12.12.2... With PWireless2 working? Well... Works and look awesome!

Long time no see such a great Puppy. Maybe since BoxPup...

Great job! Thank you!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

stifiling

#328 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal wrote:The attached initrd1-3.patch and initrd2-3.patch files will add also a YDRV sfs in the union!
YDRV!!...i think it's unique, new, a step in the right direction away from normal tradition, and also.....a GREAT idea. ppl love new. Just opening it up and seeing it's something different attracts attention. Like, "OK...this is something different, let me fully check this out."

oui

Re: frenchy, froggies, français quoi !

#329 Post by oui »

Hi
Arefacti wrote:...
Question: are there in the forum of French speaking people in order to help people like me for this distribution?

Example: Backups: I do NOT understand! : oops:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question : y a t'il dans le forum des personnes parlant le Français afin de pouvoir aider les gens comme moi pour cette distribution ?

Exemple : les sauvegardes : je n'ai RIEN compris ! :oops:
Pls look at the French, German, Spanish sections of the forum: I did open a thread on Archpup. But I will not answer myself in those days because I did have a terrible death at home and have actually other things to bring in order! I hoppe that other contibutors will help. The chances are good to get answer as with have divers really good contributors of Quebec.

---

Consulte s.v.p. les sections francophone, allemande et espagnole du forum, où j'ai ouvert une discussion sur Archpup dans chaque langue. Mais je m'abstiendrai actuellement de répondre en raison d'un terrible décès dans ma famille qui m'impose d'avoir à régler d'abord des tas d'autres choses. Cependant les chances sont quand même bonnes d'obtenir répondre de la part d'autres, car nous avons d'excellents et actifs contributeurs du Québec.

rgds / slts

ickefes

#330 Post by ickefes »

thank you for making the Pwireless2 actually working on my computer. Now I will really try this pup out! Regards.

jamesbond

#331 Post by jamesbond »

simargl wrote:Newly added package musl (for building static binaries) in archdev.sfs made problem in this: after ldconfig that is run on every boot it switches /usr/lib/libc.so symbolic link target from libc-2.16.so to ld-musl-i386.so.1. That breakes compiling of some packages , so I made new archdev-12.12.2.sfs with this coflicting package removed. Sorry for the inconvenience.
You should configure musl to provide static libc.a only. How to do this? After you do ./configure on musl, edit config.mak and uncomment SHARED_LIBS= (in my config.mak, this is the last line). Rebuild musl and re-install. You should be all right.

If you need more details, contact Ibidem. He's the authority of musl around here :)
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

ickefes

#332 Post by ickefes »

I have a couple of issues right now with archpup.

1. The keymap in the terminal does not use sv-latin1 i use for the DE/X11 even though I have configured consolemap="se".

2. Volume settings in alsamixer is not saved when I reboot.

I will try to find what errors I have done but if you have any ideas then please let me know. Regards.

rameshiyer

LAN Problem

#333 Post by rameshiyer »

So far, I was not able to setup my wired LAN. Please let me know how to setup eth0. How to setup desktop shortcut for programs?.

smil99

#334 Post by smil99 »

On page 15 of this thread, Simargl wrote:
Now I will try to recompile cups, same version 1.6.1, but without dependencies krb -1.5 mb and avahi -500kb. This folder /usr/share/i18n compressed is 3mb, something could be removed from there, .. but what...
EDIT: it's finished - cups package size is 6.7mb, converted was 6.9mb, plus I removed 5 dependencies of that old cups package, combined size 2.1mb.
However, testing the latest archpup as of January 9th, 2013, typing

Code: Select all

http://localhost:631/
in firefox returns "Not Found"
Is cups still not included in the iso?

A suggestion :wink:
It will be good for all if the previous two threads about archpup are linked on the first page of this thread.
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

Arefacti

#335 Post by Arefacti »

@oui :
Thank you and sorry for you and your familly.
Regards.