ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Scooby

Re: SFS_load patch for YDRV

#346 Post by Scooby »

mavrothal wrote:If you want to implement the YDRV it is suggested to also use the attached SFS_load patch so your YDRV sfs will not be picked up by sfs_load.
I wanted to learn about patching. So I checked it out.

I guess you're using diff/patch commands for text-files?

I tried to apply the patch initrd1-3.patch

I thought it should be applied to initrd.gz present in archpup-12.12.2.iso

So I mounted ISO. Cp'd over initrd.gz and unpacked it
and tried to apply the patch.

It complains saying cant find file to patch - initramfs.orig

I tried to unsquashfs it also to no avail.

Could you please say something about the order of the procedure?

darkcity

Re: LAN Problem

#347 Post by darkcity »

rameshiyer wrote:So far, I was not able to setup my wired LAN. Please let me know how to setup eth0. How to setup desktop shortcut for programs?.
as previously mention openbox and thunar don't provide pinboard. Here I explain how to use xfdesktop for the pinboard-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83691

Did you get eth0 working? Have you tried pns-tool?

---

How does Archpup handle USB drives? looked in /mnt but no action ...

rameshiyer

Archpupy

#348 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear Darkcity

Thank you for the help. I will try your suggestion on my office PC on Tuesday (15th January 13) and let you know the status. In meantime, why eth0 is not working under pwireless option already available Arch puppy. Even if changed the setting available in the Pwireless option, it goes to DHCP mode. If possible please look into this. Also anther problem that I have download Java run time 7 through pacman. However, still not working in Firefox and Chromium 23. ( Please note that I am not a programmer) I have been following the Puppy from very beginning of puppy and also have interest in Linux. So simple solution is highly solicited.

stifiling

Re: Archpupy

#349 Post by stifiling »

rameshiyer wrote:Dear Darkcity

Thank you for the help. I will try your suggestion on my office PC on Tuesday (15th January 13) and let you know the status. In meantime, why eth0 is not working under pwireless option already available Arch puppy. Even if changed the setting available in the Pwireless option, it goes to DHCP mode. If possible please look into this. Also anther problem that I have download Java run time 7 through pacman. However, still not working in Firefox and Chromium 23. ( Please note that I am not a programmer) I have been following the Puppy from very beginning of puppy and also have interest in Linux. So simple solution is highly solicited.
jre7 by oracle isn't in the arch linux repos. you must have downloaded the open-jdk7, in which you'd also need to install icedtea-web-java7. this puppy sfs works though which is the oracle jre7:

http://101.143.162.62/puppy/opt/jre-1.7.0.09.sfs

in firefox at least. chromium has always been difficult with java on any linux...at least for me.

did you try setting the static ip from the commandline? did that work?

simargl

#350 Post by simargl »

New archarch.sfs upload is finished, it comes also with smtube and Faience icon theme http://tiheum.deviantart.com/art/Faienc ... -255099649, those blue folder icons look cool. :) BTW, this icon theme is not complete and depends on faenza for some parts. Also I've uploaded new archdev.sfs with musl compiled to only have static libraries (thanks jamesbond) and with prefix /opt/musl. First post links are updated.

mavrothal

#351 Post by mavrothal »

Scooby, nooby, et all,
YDRV and the associated patches are intended for people building (an) archpup (spin).
Involve initrd.gz expansion and modification and can go very wrong if you make any mistakes.
So if you do not know how to do it you probably should not try it!

But you have to learn. Right? so here we go.

Code: Select all

mkdir initramfs
cd initramfs
gunzip -c /path/to/initrd.gz | cpio -i
# apply patches/modify initramfs
mv /path/to/initrd.gz /path/to/initrd.gz.orig
find . -print | cpio -H newc -o | gzip -9 > /path/to/initrd.gz
Make sure you know what to do and how to boot your system if you get a "kernel panic", "can not find files", etc...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rameshiyer

Archpupy

#352 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear Darkcity

Other puppy versions, java runtime is working perfectly including Chromium builds ( Google, Iron ). Anyway I will try java SFS file in ArchPup and let you know the outcome latter.

Static IP issue in wired LAN environment ?. One of my colleague helped in this regard. He created a script for static IP, Mask and 'Gateway in Arch Puppy. In order to get internet, I have to launch (press) that script file every time after booting of machine. In office, I am getting internet in Arch Puppy through this method. However, I feel that this is not permanent solution. Other Puppy variant, there is no problem at all.

simargl

Re: LAN Problem

#353 Post by simargl »

darkcity wrote:How does Archpup handle USB drives? looked in /mnt but no action ...
Mounting USB drives is problematic part that we couldn't really solve yet - probably it is related to udev, but I can't be sure. Temporary solution is to click system->Rescan disk drives, that will just restart pup-volume-monitor daemon, and usb icon will appear in thunar, or run this from terminal: /etc/init.d/start-pup-volume-monitor restart.

mavrothal

#354 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:New archarch.sfs upload is finished
You may want to try adding some version numbers somewhere or provide a list of md5sums, because not everyone checks and downloads everyday the changes.
As far as I can tell there are 3 "archpup-12.12.2.iso", 4 "archdev-12.12.sfs", 3 "archapp-12.12.sfs" and 5 or 6 "archpup-12.12.sfs"!
This can be a source of problems impossible to track and solve.
Having different files with the same name is not a good idea in general.
Last edited by mavrothal on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

darkcity

#355 Post by darkcity »

EDIT:

@rameshiyer

is the solution similar to Stifiling's suggestion, here?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 048#677048

Could add the code to /root/.start if you don't want to manually run the script everytime.

---

BTW is there any chance of a Startup folder like in trad Puppy?

---

EDIT: thanks for USB drive help ; -)

mavrothal

#356 Post by mavrothal »

darkcity wrote: BTW is there any chance of a Startup folder like in trad Puppy?
I have added these lines in my /root/.start :wink:

for i in `ls /root/Startup`
do 
 exec /root/Startup/$i &
 sleep 0.5s 
done
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#357 Post by simargl »

mavrothal: New versions are in folder 12.12.2, from md5sum.txt it's clear what is latest, that is all I can do.

stifiling

#358 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal wrote:
simargl wrote:New archarch.sfs upload is finished
You may want to try adding some version numbers somewhere or provide a list of md5sums, because not everyone checks and downloads everyday the changes.
As far as I can tell there are 3 "archpup-12.12.2.iso", 4 "archdev-12.12.sfs", 3 "archapp-12.12.sfs" and 5 or 6 "archpup-12.12.sfs"!
This can be a source of problems impossible to track and solve.
Having different files with the same name is not a good idea in general.
i must say.....i didn't know there was a new archpup-12.12.2.iso until abt an hr ago.

mavrothal

#359 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:mavrothal: New versions are in folder 12.12.2, from md5sum.txt it's clear what is latest, that is all I can do.
I know that.
But your first post says in bold letters "UPDATE: 12.12.2, January 9th, 2013" and as I said do not expect everyone to have read the so far ~100 posts in this thread after January 9th. Do not even expect them to ever open again the first page of this thread!
At least indicate in the first post the latest date of each file and update the title with the latest day, every time any of the 4 files in the first post is changed .
Then again, maybe people are just following every post here.

(BTW the archdev link in the first post is broken. Points to a 12.12.2 file)
Last edited by mavrothal on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#360 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I need Broadcom Drivers for ArchPup 12.12.2. If there were drivers built-in, they're not supporting my wifi device.

stifiling

#361 Post by stifiling »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I need Broadcom Drivers for ArchPup 12.12.2. If there were drivers built-in, they're not supporting my wifi device.
did you try:

modprobe b43

simargl

#362 Post by simargl »

mavrothal wrote:(BTW the archdev link in the first post is broken. Points to a 12.12.2 file)
:o Fixed. Thanks!

stifiling

#363 Post by stifiling »

mav, you're not overjoyed about the adrv idea are you? you don't feel as if the points brought up, as the reasons for using it, are strong points?

If the adrive idea were to be 'scratched'. How would we get this distro to appeal to Arch Linux users, who might not want some of those uninstallable default applications? they could mksquashfs themselves another sfs file, to get the apps out, but.........they've never heard of that before. that's a Puppy Linux thing, and...a lot of puppy linux users have never even heard of it before either.

Scooby

touchpad

#364 Post by Scooby »

I have no success with touchpad and install of xf86-input-synaptics

Is some synaptics module already installed?

with nothing installed from repo

modprobe -D synaptics_i2c
produces

insmod /lib/modules/3.6.8/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-core.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.6.8/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/synaptics_i2c.ko

seems like driver is already in use?

I have tried to configure with synclient and with config files 10-synaptics.conf, 50-synaptics.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

I also tried modifying xorg.conf but then x woldnt start.

Any ideas?

mavrothal

#365 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:mav, you're not overjoyed about the adrv idea are you? you don't feel as if the points brought up, as the reasons for using it, are strong points?.
Actually, you are totally wrong :o
I love the adrv idea. What I do not like is to have an ISO distribution that is not really usable without installing any packages.
That's why I opposed adrv with just a desktop/WM.
That's why I developed ydrv so the archapps sfs can be auto-loaded and included in the ISO.

Now about those hard core Arch users... Are you seriously targeting these guys with Archpup?... :roll:
Last edited by mavrothal on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 19:21, edited 2 times in total.