ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rcrd

#61 Post by rcrd »

Success!!

@mavrothal
Thanks for your advice. I had the savefile in /archpup so I moved it to /archpup1212 and it works!! Thanks a lot.

@oui
I had remastered archpup to suit my needs, ie Spanish kb layout, utf-8 for terminal, software installed via pacman, and I like ii... but it bugged me that the savefile was nott working. I think both options, remaster and savefile have a place and I will use them both as needed.

Thanks everybody for your help!

simargl

#62 Post by simargl »

For new release I plan to add help section in the menu. It will be under System --> How-to, and
for now has 3 items:
  • Install ArchPup to USB or HDD
    Manage packages with pacman
    Use ArchPup specific scripts
That will be simple txt files located in /usr/share/archpup/doc and opened with geany. If someone wants to help
and make guide for wireless connection or something else, just post on this forum and I will add them too.
Also there will be new script called arch2sfs, that will convert all Arch packages inside curent folder to SFS module.

oui

#63 Post by oui »

Hi
simargl wrote:For new release I plan to add help section in the menu. It will be under System --> How-to, and
for now has 3 items:
  • Install ArchPup to USB or HDD
    Manage packages with pacman
    Use ArchPup specific scripts
That will be simple txt files located in /usr/share/archpup/doc and opened with geany. If someone wants to help
and make guide for wireless connection or something else, just post on this forum and I will add them too.
Also there will be new script called arch2sfs, that will convert all Arch packages inside curent folder to SFS module.
really good. especially arch2sfs (as we already have pet2sfs!)!

perhaps an HOWTO install grub2 (simplified installation) and then start Archpup frugal with it?

menuentry "archpup (on /dev/sda5)" {
set root='(hd0,5)'
linux /archpup/vmlinuz pdev1=sda5 psubdir=archpup
initrd /archpup/initrd.gz
}

rgds

PS: you also can "feed" /root/.history with adequate commands and include an /root/archpuppy-links.html that the user can (or not) declare as his home page after that in his lovely browser after installation! a /mnt/home also would be useful (a lot more if it would be automatic recognized)!

rcrd

#64 Post by rcrd »

Hi all,

I decided to try and use a tiling window manager in Archpup. I downloaded i3 with dmenu via pacman and installed it modified the xinitrc (comented out the openbox line and added an exec i3 command). It works absolutely fine apart from the fact that it didn't reboot or poweroff. I had a look at the wmreboot and wmpoweroff scripts and saw it gets the parameter from /etc/windowmanager, which after installing i3 still said "openbox". So I changed it to i3. It now reboots almost fine. When it reboots I get 3 small and very distorted pictures of what I recognized as the background, and after a couple of seconds it reboots. Would anybody know why I these three very distorted images? My other question is, is the content of etc/windowmanager static or does it get read from somewhere else?
Also, when I tell i3 to end the x session, it does ended it, but then restarts a new one straight away. Any idea where I should look in archpup to sort out this behaviour?

You can see a screenshot of i3 working in archpup here http://ge.tt/6g6pH3U/v/0

Thanks, and sorry if my question turn out to be dumb, I'm only trying to learn.

Keef

#65 Post by Keef »

rcrd

I get a similar effect even with Openbox - a distorted picture of what looks like the last desktop setup appears ( (or probably when the last snapmerge happened ), and then X restarts and it is back to normal. I've had this behaviour every time since making a savefile.

It does not seem possible to exit X easily - logout in Openbox restarts X, and Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't work either, although this may have been disabled in the kernel according to the Arch wiki.

mavrothal

#66 Post by mavrothal »

Anybody had problems setting the localtime/timezone?
Just linking the /usr/share/zoneinfo /Continent/City to /etc/localtime did not work for me.
I had to hardcode the timezone in /etc/profile :?
Any ideas?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Scooby

Timezone

#67 Post by Scooby »

I dont know how to fix it but when I tried to run Torbrowser it complains about timezone settings?

Could you tell me how you hardcoded it in etc/profile?

See if I can get Torbrowser running

Keef

#68 Post by Keef »

I can't get the time right either.

Scooby

#69 Post by Scooby »

I read rcrd post on using another window manager.

I was thinking maybe I could run xfce or compiz on top of archpuppy?
Do you think it possible?

I want to try it since I get a lot of problems with screentearing when playing videos with smplayer. Would changing window manager fix tearing?

cannot try it from here, I am at a different location and cannot get wireless to work. Tried running with linux-firmware-20121118.sfs but it doesnt make a difference. I have Intel Centrino wireless N1030.

James C

#70 Post by James C »

Keef wrote:I can't get the time right either.
Same here.

James C

#71 Post by James C »

mavrothal

Re: Timezone

#72 Post by mavrothal »

Scooby wrote:I dont know how to fix it but when I tried to run Torbrowser it complains about timezone settings?

Go to /etc/profile and replace
export TZ=$(cat /etc/localtime)
with
export TZ="Continent/City" (yours of course :D )
James C wrote:For what it's worth....
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be ... #Time_zone
No, this is not it.
I _think_ it has to do with the encoding of /usr/share/zoneinfo files
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

oui

Printing with USB-Printer

#73 Post by oui »

Hi

Are you all printing with success in ArchPup?

On my PC, no way in ArchPup (but immediately printing in ArchBang).

lsusb :?:
# lsusb
unable to initialize libusb: -99
usbview :?:
Can not open the file /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices

Verify that you have USB compiled into your kernel,
have the USB core modules loaded, and have the
usbdevfs filesystem mounted.
rgds

simargl

#74 Post by simargl »

Scooby wrote:I dont know how to fix it but when I tried to run Torbrowser it complains about timezone settings?

See if I can get Torbrowser running
Hi,
/etc/localtime is text file not symlink, just open it and replace /usr/share/zoneinfo/CET with
what you need.

oui: See this topic:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=147916 and
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-72 ... ml#7207894
Seems that /proc/bus/usb is now outdated, support for it has been removed in kernel 3.5. and
it's replaced with /sys/bus/usb/

mavrothal

#75 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote: /etc/localtime is text file not symlink
Is there any reason for that or just an oversight?

simargl

#76 Post by simargl »

mavrothal wrote:
simargl wrote: /etc/localtime is text file not symlink
Is there any reason for that or just an oversight?
I just changed to CET timezone, original file is from woof-code/rootfs-skeleton/etc/localtime.
Edit:
In attachment are documentation files for next release, three text files converted to pdf format.
I will make new release 12.12-1 when (if) problem with refreshing usb drives list in Thunar is fixed,
reported this in pup-volume-monitor-0.1.10 topic, still got no response. Plan is to make next version
when new stable gcc-4.8 package is added to archlinux repository, guess that's not very soon.
Attachments
archpup_docs.pdf.tar.gz
(40.36 KiB) Downloaded 513 times

feelsub

#77 Post by feelsub »

Super happy if can get access to Arch repository, but where is the puppy save feature when shutting down from USB key?

simargl

#78 Post by simargl »

feelsub wrote:Super happy if can get access to Arch repository, but where is the puppy save feature when shutting down from USB key?
Hi, Savefile dialog on reboot is removed, to make one go to Setup --> Make personal savefile,
as location select one of your partitions. And yes it can access to Arch repository :wink:

smil99

#79 Post by smil99 »

Downloaded archpup-12.12 and started playing with it. Very snappy and very different from the other puppies on the block. The flawless integration with arch repos is legendary. My only problem ... cant start cups :( ... so cant do any printing. I hope the printing issues would be addressed soon.
Thanks and cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

simargl

#80 Post by simargl »

Try with this:
in /root/.start add on top: ifconfig lo up
Then change ALL: LOCAL to ALL: ALL in /etc/hosts.allow.
Reboot and see what is output of:
netstat -nlp
ps -ef | grep cups