How to install tar,bz2 / tar.gz?

Booting, installing, newbie
andabandsen

How to install tar,bz2 / tar.gz?

#1 Post by andabandsen »

right click > window > shell command > dir2pet "folder name"

successfully install, why not show up in the menu?

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

First things first. Here on the Internet, WHEN YOU USE CAPS LOCK LIKE THIS IT MEANS THAT YOU'RE YELLING. Most folks around here find that very rude, so please find yourself an indoor voice ;)

Regarding your issue... open a terminal/console window (same thing, different names) and type the following command followed by a stiff press of the Enter key...

Code: Select all

fixmenus
You will see some output within the terminal window, then the screen will blink black (once, maybe twice) for a split second, and then all should be fixed.

If not, your install is missing a *.desktop file (the Puppy Menu is compiled from such files and their entries), and someone with a little more patience than I, will have to walk you through creating such a file for this (as of yet unnamed) program of yours.

andabandsen

#3 Post by andabandsen »

starhawk wrote:First things first. Here on the Internet, WHEN YOU USE CAPS LOCK LIKE THIS IT MEANS THAT YOU'RE YELLING. Most folks around here find that very rude, so please find yourself an indoor voice ;)

Regarding your issue... open a terminal/console window (same thing, different names) and type the following command followed by a stiff press of the Enter key...

Code: Select all

fixmenus
You will see some output within the terminal window, then the screen will blink black (once, maybe twice) for a split second, and then all should be fixed.

If not, your install is missing a *.desktop file (the Puppy Menu is compiled from such files and their entries), and someone with a little more patience than I, will have to walk you through creating such a file for this (as of yet unnamed) program of yours.
sorry :( , thanks. :)

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

No worries, we're friendly here.

Did "fixmenus" work for you?

andabandsen

#5 Post by andabandsen »

starhawk wrote:No worries, we're friendly here.

Did "fixmenus" work for you?
fixmenus doesnt work
I tried to install the game tar.bz2 format, I get from sourceforge.net. but it always failed. can you help me? :)

Makoto

#6 Post by Makoto »

You might want to provide a link to the webpage with the .tar.bz2 archive you downloaded. A number of these tar.bz2 or tar.gz archives are actually only source code packages.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

andabandsen

#7 Post by andabandsen »

Makoto wrote:You might want to provide a link to the webpage with the .tar.bz2 archive you downloaded. A number of these tar.bz2 or tar.gz archives are actually only source code packages.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scrabbl ... =directory

Can one of you convert the file into. pet? :D

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

Well, most of the recent Puppies should allow you to install a .deb just as you would a .pet. I'd have to check the .deb to see if it includes a .desktop file, though (otherwise, as mentioned above, you will not have an entry for it in the menu).

Also, it looks like it may require Qt4 (there's a download for libqt4pas in the download directory).

Edit: It does have a .desktop file. You might try restarting JWM or the X server, or rebooting, and see if that helps.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

andabandsen

#9 Post by andabandsen »

Makoto wrote:Well, most of the recent Puppies should allow you to install a .deb just as you would a .pet. I'd have to check the .deb to see if it includes a .desktop file, though (otherwise, as mentioned above, you will not have an entry for it in the menu).

Also, it looks like it may require Qt4 (there's a download for libqt4pas in the download directory).

Edit: It does have a .desktop file. You might try restarting JWM or the X server, or rebooting, and see if that helps.
tar.bz2 is the type of game, why not show up in the "fun" but I managed to change to a pet

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

What did you download? I don't see a .tar.bz2 archive in any of the directories for the program or its support files at SourceForge. The actual game itself is only distributed in .deb and .rpm form.

andabandsen

#11 Post by andabandsen »

Makoto wrote:What did you download? I don't see a .tar.bz2 archive in any of the directories for the program or its support files at SourceForge. The actual game itself is only distributed in .deb and .rpm form.
I try to install the package. deb like you said, it worked. 8)