Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 23 Aug 2014, 00:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to install tar,bz2 / tar.gz?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
andabandsen

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 22:04    Post subject:  How to install tar,bz2 / tar.gz?
Subject description: Puppy 5.4.2

right click > window > shell command > dir2pet "folder name"

successfully install, why not show up in the menu?
starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 22:17    Post subject:  

First things first. Here on the Internet, WHEN YOU USE CAPS LOCK LIKE THIS IT MEANS THAT YOU'RE YELLING. Most folks around here find that very rude, so please find yourself an indoor voice Wink

Regarding your issue... open a terminal/console window (same thing, different names) and type the following command followed by a stiff press of the Enter key...

Code:
fixmenus

You will see some output within the terminal window, then the screen will blink black (once, maybe twice) for a split second, and then all should be fixed.

If not, your install is missing a *.desktop file (the Puppy Menu is compiled from such files and their entries), and someone with a little more patience than I, will have to walk you through creating such a file for this (as of yet unnamed) program of yours.

andabandsen

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 22:25    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
First things first. Here on the Internet, WHEN YOU USE CAPS LOCK LIKE THIS IT MEANS THAT YOU'RE YELLING. Most folks around here find that very rude, so please find yourself an indoor voice Wink

Regarding your issue... open a terminal/console window (same thing, different names) and type the following command followed by a stiff press of the Enter key...

Code:
fixmenus

You will see some output within the terminal window, then the screen will blink black (once, maybe twice) for a split second, and then all should be fixed.

If not, your install is missing a *.desktop file (the Puppy Menu is compiled from such files and their entries), and someone with a little more patience than I, will have to walk you through creating such a file for this (as of yet unnamed) program of yours.

sorry Sad , thanks. Smile
starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 22:29    Post subject:  

No worries, we're friendly here.

Did "fixmenus" work for you?

andabandsen

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 02:36    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
No worries, we're friendly here.

Did "fixmenus" work for you?

fixmenus doesnt work
I tried to install the game tar.bz2 format, I get from sourceforge.net. but it always failed. can you help me? Smile
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 02:41    Post subject:  

You might want to provide a link to the webpage with the .tar.bz2 archive you downloaded. A number of these tar.bz2 or tar.gz archives are actually only source code packages.
andabandsen

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 03:35    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
You might want to provide a link to the webpage with the .tar.bz2 archive you downloaded. A number of these tar.bz2 or tar.gz archives are actually only source code packages.

[url] http://sourceforge.net/projects/scrabble/?source=directory [/url]

Can one of you convert the file into. pet? Very Happy
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 03:46    Post subject:  

Well, most of the recent Puppies should allow you to install a .deb just as you would a .pet. I'd have to check the .deb to see if it includes a .desktop file, though (otherwise, as mentioned above, you will not have an entry for it in the menu).

Also, it looks like it may require Qt4 (there's a download for libqt4pas in the download directory).

Edit: It does have a .desktop file. You might try restarting JWM or the X server, or rebooting, and see if that helps.

andabandsen

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 03:58    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
Well, most of the recent Puppies should allow you to install a .deb just as you would a .pet. I'd have to check the .deb to see if it includes a .desktop file, though (otherwise, as mentioned above, you will not have an entry for it in the menu).

Also, it looks like it may require Qt4 (there's a download for libqt4pas in the download directory).

Edit: It does have a .desktop file. You might try restarting JWM or the X server, or rebooting, and see if that helps.

tar.bz2 is the type of game, why not show up in the "fun" but I managed to change to a pet
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 04:02    Post subject:  

What did you download? I don't see a .tar.bz2 archive in any of the directories for the program or its support files at SourceForge. The actual game itself is only distributed in .deb and .rpm form.
andabandsen

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 04:47    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
What did you download? I don't see a .tar.bz2 archive in any of the directories for the program or its support files at SourceForge. The actual game itself is only distributed in .deb and .rpm form.

I try to install the package. deb like you said, it worked. Cool
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: