Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 23 Aug 2014, 00:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to install tar,bz2 / tar.gz?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
Author Message
andabandsen


Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 54
Location: Indonesia

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 22:04    Post subject:  How to install tar,bz2 / tar.gz?
Subject description: Puppy 5.4.2
 

right click > window > shell command > dir2pet "folder name"

successfully install, why not show up in the menu?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 2830
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 22:17    Post subject:  

First things first. Here on the Internet, WHEN YOU USE CAPS LOCK LIKE THIS IT MEANS THAT YOU'RE YELLING. Most folks around here find that very rude, so please find yourself an indoor voice Wink

Regarding your issue... open a terminal/console window (same thing, different names) and type the following command followed by a stiff press of the Enter key...

Code:
fixmenus


You will see some output within the terminal window, then the screen will blink black (once, maybe twice) for a split second, and then all should be fixed.

If not, your install is missing a *.desktop file (the Puppy Menu is compiled from such files and their entries), and someone with a little more patience than I, will have to walk you through creating such a file for this (as of yet unnamed) program of yours.

_________________
Loving X-Slacko 2.1!
Custom Build: HP MOCA-AR + Core2Duo T7200 + 4gb RAM + 256gb SSD
...just needs a pretty case Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
andabandsen


Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 54
Location: Indonesia

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 22:25    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
First things first. Here on the Internet, WHEN YOU USE CAPS LOCK LIKE THIS IT MEANS THAT YOU'RE YELLING. Most folks around here find that very rude, so please find yourself an indoor voice Wink

Regarding your issue... open a terminal/console window (same thing, different names) and type the following command followed by a stiff press of the Enter key...

Code:
fixmenus


You will see some output within the terminal window, then the screen will blink black (once, maybe twice) for a split second, and then all should be fixed.

If not, your install is missing a *.desktop file (the Puppy Menu is compiled from such files and their entries), and someone with a little more patience than I, will have to walk you through creating such a file for this (as of yet unnamed) program of yours.


sorry Sad , thanks. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 2830
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 22:29    Post subject:  

No worries, we're friendly here.

Did "fixmenus" work for you?

_________________
Loving X-Slacko 2.1!
Custom Build: HP MOCA-AR + Core2Duo T7200 + 4gb RAM + 256gb SSD
...just needs a pretty case Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
andabandsen


Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 54
Location: Indonesia

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 02:36    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
No worries, we're friendly here.

Did "fixmenus" work for you?


fixmenus doesnt work
I tried to install the game tar.bz2 format, I get from sourceforge.net. but it always failed. can you help me? Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Makoto


Joined: 03 Sep 2009
Posts: 1790
Location: Out wandering... maybe.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 02:41    Post subject:  

You might want to provide a link to the webpage with the .tar.bz2 archive you downloaded. A number of these tar.bz2 or tar.gz archives are actually only source code packages.
_________________
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install | 1GB RAM | 1.3GB swap ] * My Pidgin Builds for Puppy 4.3.1+
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
andabandsen


Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 54
Location: Indonesia

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 03:35    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
You might want to provide a link to the webpage with the .tar.bz2 archive you downloaded. A number of these tar.bz2 or tar.gz archives are actually only source code packages.


[url] http://sourceforge.net/projects/scrabble/?source=directory [/url]

Can one of you convert the file into. pet? Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Makoto


Joined: 03 Sep 2009
Posts: 1790
Location: Out wandering... maybe.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 03:46    Post subject:  

Well, most of the recent Puppies should allow you to install a .deb just as you would a .pet. I'd have to check the .deb to see if it includes a .desktop file, though (otherwise, as mentioned above, you will not have an entry for it in the menu).

Also, it looks like it may require Qt4 (there's a download for libqt4pas in the download directory).

Edit: It does have a .desktop file. You might try restarting JWM or the X server, or rebooting, and see if that helps.

_________________
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install | 1GB RAM | 1.3GB swap ] * My Pidgin Builds for Puppy 4.3.1+
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
andabandsen


Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 54
Location: Indonesia

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 03:58    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
Well, most of the recent Puppies should allow you to install a .deb just as you would a .pet. I'd have to check the .deb to see if it includes a .desktop file, though (otherwise, as mentioned above, you will not have an entry for it in the menu).

Also, it looks like it may require Qt4 (there's a download for libqt4pas in the download directory).

Edit: It does have a .desktop file. You might try restarting JWM or the X server, or rebooting, and see if that helps.


tar.bz2 is the type of game, why not show up in the "fun" but I managed to change to a pet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Makoto


Joined: 03 Sep 2009
Posts: 1790
Location: Out wandering... maybe.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 04:02    Post subject:  

What did you download? I don't see a .tar.bz2 archive in any of the directories for the program or its support files at SourceForge. The actual game itself is only distributed in .deb and .rpm form.
_________________
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install | 1GB RAM | 1.3GB swap ] * My Pidgin Builds for Puppy 4.3.1+
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
andabandsen


Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 54
Location: Indonesia

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 04:47    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
What did you download? I don't see a .tar.bz2 archive in any of the directories for the program or its support files at SourceForge. The actual game itself is only distributed in .deb and .rpm form.


I try to install the package. deb like you said, it worked. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0655s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0047s) ][ GZIP on ]