Desktop PC Replacements coming into play

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
gcmartin

Desktop PC Replacements coming into play

#1 Post by gcmartin »

Trend - Home PCs are dying! Tablet use is way up!
How many of you know the middle stop-gate intended to fore-stall desktops at least for a period?

Ever heard of "NETTOP". See here.
Cheap, fast, integrated and some are rumored to be 64bit. Don't be surprised to see these crop up in businesses.

Here to help

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Fad, not trend, most likely.

"Large and in charge" Dell boxes are likely here to stay for some time.

Nettops are no longer really being sold by Newegg and similar places, my crystal ball says they're on the way out.

BTW, slight correction to PCMag -- an Intel Atom is "low power" only in the number of watts it uses. The correct term, IMO, is "efficient".

My main system was a netbook with an N270 for quite a while, and it's pretty good for vector graphics (CorelDRAW X3) on top of everything else (large quantities of web browsing, plus WinAmp and occasional MS Office / OpenOffice use).

Atom CPUs are quite capable processors for sure. I wouldn't want to do video editing on one (TBH, the GIMP pushed my netbook to its limits), but for basically anything less than that... yeah, it can handle it no prob.

dennis-slacko531

#3 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

I've been sort of prowling this Hardware forum, not stalking... I think it's important to remind everyone about the terrific bargains on used PC's, specifically at eBay. I'd like to post this PNG from my site. I'll put a link under it to the refurbish-er in Arizona where I paid only $47 + 25 shipping earlier this month (DEC-2012). The same link can be found at my website. BTW, this SFF PC is so quiet, I simply can't hear it. Also, this system has superior components all around compared to the fastest Nettops.
Then, if you'd like to see their scores of current offerings...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/buybest15/m.htm ... s=1&_sop=1