Wary CD Won't boot in Sony VAIO.

Booting, installing, newbie
Nylo

Wary CD Won't boot in Sony VAIO.

#1 Post by Nylo »

Im at my wits end. Ive tried both 5.3 and 4.3.1. I cannot get my burned CD to boot. All I get is, “puppy_wary_5.3.sfs. Not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console.

rcrsn51

Re: CD Boot Pup Wary Not Working.

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Nylo wrote:Sony Vaio PCG-R505JL/C
Read here.

Nylo

#3 Post by Nylo »

Thanks for the tip. Ill give it a shot.

Nylo

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

I presume you're attempting to boot from your R505's docking-station CD drive?
If so, this won't work - that particular CD drive is connected via firewire interface, and most Linux distro's, including Puppy, don't support booting this way.

I suggest you borrow an external USB CD drive; modern Puppies should boot OK from this.

rcrsn51 wrote:Read here
Careful, that's information I provided many years ago on this forum regarding booting from a proprietary Sony PCMCIA-connected CD drive -

Code: Select all

puppy ide1=0x180,0x386 nopcmcia acpi=off
It only applies to Sony PCMCIA-CDROM's, and only with the old Sony PCG-505 series (not PCG-R505).

01micko

Re: Wary CD Won't boot in Sony VAIO.

#5 Post by 01micko »

Nylo wrote:I’ve noticed all of he file names on the CD are uppercase, and some of the files are shortened... Why is this? I’ve downloaded the iso’s from ibiblio and Nluug. Both come up with the same error.
That's the problem! IIRC it's the burning software you are using.

There is documentation on this issue, actually I think it's on the CD in an html file. Read that (from windows in a browser, just double click it) and follow the instructions.

Here it is:
README.HTM wrote:Notice for Windows users
THIS APPLIES TO SOME, NOT ALL, BUILDS OF PUPPY

If you are running Windows, and viewing the contents of this CD, the filenames will not display correctly. For example, a file named 'puppy_wary_5.1.2.sfs' will display truncated as 'PUPPY_WA.SFS'. That is, Windows will truncate all long filenames to fit the "8.3" MSDOS format.

The reason for this is that the CD was created without Joliet extensions, required for Windows to recognise long filenames. This was done as I found a problem with running Puppy Linux in "multisession mode" with Joliet extensions -- don't worry if you don't know what multisession mode means for now, just take it that I found a conflict with Puppy Linux and a CD with Joliet extensions enabled.

Normally, you would boot the live-CD on your PC and run Puppy Linux, and Puppy has tools for installing Puppy to hard drive or Flash drive if required. So, the above-mentioned problem is not an issue -- however, some users do open the CD from a running Windows and copy out the files to install Puppy to hard drive or Flash drive.

So, for anyone who wants to copy the files off the CD from a running Windows, after doing so, please rename the files to their full long names. Also, change all upper-case characters to lower-case. For example:
Truncated filename Long (correct) filename
PUPPY_sl.SFS puppy_slacko_5.3.6.0.sfs
ZDRV_sla.SFS zdrv_slacko_5.3.6.0.sfs
VMLINUZ vmlinuz
INITRD.GZ initrd.gz

Regards,
Barry Kauler
http://bkhome.org/blog/
Attachments
capture8303.png
(20.3 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access