Wireless not connecting

Booting, installing, newbie
ChrisOfBristol

Wireless not connecting

#1 Post by ChrisOfBristol »

I have set the wireless modem to the highest level of security it has, which is WEP unfortunately. I have tried it with both 64 bit and 128 bit keys.

I'm very impressed with the Puppy installation of the wireless card on the laptop – it was completely automatic (in stark contrast to the nightmare when I tried Lubuntu). The laptop sees the network immediately and I have set it to WEP secure and put in the password, but it doesn't succeed in connecting.

I have taken the risk of briefly trying the modem without any security to check whether security was part of the problem, but that didn't work either.

Hardware is a cable modem with a RJ45 cable to the wireless modem and another RJ45 cable to my PC. I'm trying to connect to the wireless network from a Laptop with Puppy 5.2.8 on. Perhaps it's not permitted to have the PC connected as well?

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Hi ChrisOfBristol

Which tool are you using to connect to wireless

I always use Frisbee
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Frisbee#hn_ ... nd_Puppy_4

ChrisOfBristol

***SOLVED***

#3 Post by ChrisOfBristol »

darkcity wrote:Which tool are you using to connect to wireless
I was using the standard installed tool that you get when you right-click on the network icon on the bottom panel - "Barry's Simple Network Setup".

I have re-installed Puppy 5.2.8 using the special Bash script and Chrome now connects. Still a mystery why it didn't work before though.