Boot Error

Booting, installing, newbie
Paul Earland

Boot Error

#1 Post by Paul Earland »

Hello. Been using a USB drive successfully for about a week since loading Puppy to it. Today when I tried using my USB drive I get the message Boot Error on my screen. Is there anything I can do to open my USB or will I have to reload Puppy and loose all my work and changes I have made. Have had to go back to Windows to post this message!
Thanks. Paul

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

System make, model, and specs?

Have you changed anything (eg boot order) in the BIOS setup lately?

Also, does the clock reset on this computer when you remove all power (including battery, if a laptop...)? If so, you should also, upon booting, get a "BIOS checksum error, loading setup defaults, press F1 to continue / F2 to setup" sort of error (not exactly like that, but you get the point).

The second would indicate a dead BIOS battery within the system -- easier to fix on a desktop (replace the CR2032 inside, on the motherboard) than a laptop (always comes apart like a jigsaw puzzle, and goes back together just one way... well, without damage, anyhow).

cthisbear

#3 Post by cthisbear »

Turning off the power, taking out the cord....
and then removing the battery.

Followed by...

Pushing your power on button up to 30 seconds

reconnecting battery and power and rebooting

fixes many things.

Had this issue on a laptop a few weeks ago >> usb.

Bios behaved after the above sequence was performed.

Chris.

Paul Earland

Boot Error

#4 Post by Paul Earland »

Thanks for replies.

Am using a Dell Inspiron 1545 with Slack Puppy 5.4

Computer normally works with Windows 7 which still works fine and is loading OK (when Puppy USB is removed before computer loads).

Bios is set in the order to read USB, CD and then internal disk. Nothing has been changed and have checked and all is OK.

If I try loading from original Puppy CD it loads with now problem.

Obviouly as computer is working OK under windows 7 dont want to do anything to upset that.

Not totally new to Linus as used Linux Mint for a few years before buying my Laptop a few years ago.

Might just be as easy to do a new download from the CD to a USB drive as have only made a few changes and have nothing I need to save. Just a bit worrying that I am having problem with USB after such a short time.
Thanks. Paul

Paul Earland

#5 Post by Paul Earland »

Could not sort out boot problem with USB drive, so did a new download to USB from disk and now all works OK. Thanks for help.
Paul

RJARRRPCGP

Re: Boot Error

#6 Post by RJARRRPCGP »

Paul Earland wrote:Today when I tried using my USB drive I get the message Boot Error on my screen.
Known issue with UNetBootin. Must use the installer from pendrivelinux.com or use an alternate method to create a bootable USB stick.