eBay SHOPPING RESULTS for USED PC

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
dennis-slacko531

eBay SHOPPING RESULTS for USED PC

#1 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

:arrow: Live eBay PC auctions...

Because of the Live nature of eBay bidding, I decided to edit out most of this first posting in favor of you, the reader, trying to participate more or less immediately in a LIVE eBay auction.

Update, added YouTube video ...(showing me booting Fatdog) on the just bought PC... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIkCufLYCwU

ABOUT ME...
Before this auction, I was using a 9-year old self-built P4 w/HT. After some online research, I targeted Intel Core 2 Quad systems (specifically the Q6600 in a tower style). Intel released these threadless quads in Jan-2007 as "Kentsfield." After a couple weeks of unsuccessful attempts I switched to targeting the cheaper Core 2 Duo (but only middle & high end Duo's, E6750 minimum --released July 2007).

My bids were not exceeding my limit of $140 total for the Quad systems, and I came very close (within $15). Then I started bidding on Core 2 Duo's with my limit of $75 total (that includes shipping). This worked out well as you can see in my next posting.
Last edited by dennis-slacko531 on Thu 31 Jan 2013, 21:56, edited 4 times in total.

Eldon

#2 Post by Eldon »

Wow. That's not bad!

I thought I got a good deal a year ago when I bought this P4 2.8GHz Dell on craigslist for $50. It has a 40GB hard drive and 512MB of RAM.

dennis-slacko531

Thanks for your reply.

#3 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Hi Eldon, in my searching, 8-bit did suggest I try Craigslist (I'm in Portland). Well, I'm open minded but it kind of sucks...

Some of us are sophisticated enough to know what's up with money, others are NOT, SO with caution to youngsters, be careful with what you bid on, you might win it (little joke). Seriously, take your time and set yourself at least two weeks of failed bidding...

I mean, only bid on items you've fully investigated. THEN begin your bidding and BID ONLY to your LIMIT. MAKE THIS FIRM, do not bid higher than say $50 for the system like I bought (there's $25 shipping too). For an Intel Quad system, don't bid higher than $100 unless you are ready to 'win it'. If you apply these rules, you won't be disappointed.

As a final word of good advice for newbies, make your initial bids when there are zero bids, that way your $1 bid will be accepted, and if you win (unlikely but good practice) you'll only pay $1 + shipping.

CAUTION: Here's the current LIVE link to the same PC market for systems like mine pictured below. I'm always available to help anyone too. I'd like to have other refurbishers added please... :twisted:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/buybest15/m.htm ... s=1&_sop=1

My Original Target Quad System...
This kind of stuff is my area of interest (hope that makes sense). So, in case anyone wondered what the Quad looked like, well here it is. This unit sold for $115 plus 35 shipping, so $150 total. When you do these auctions, be careful to details. For example, this unit only has a DVD-R (not RW). I've noticed this is the exception for this seller. Usually everything is all there. If anyone wants to look for laptops, that's a whole different ballgame. To be continued...

Last edited by dennis-slacko531 on Thu 31 Jan 2013, 22:50, edited 3 times in total.

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

Sometimes, it is not just a matter of using eBay, but of which country.
When doing a search for electronic assemblies for instance doing a check of an eBay associated say with China can result in finding a component that has a cost that in the US, would not cover the cost of one part of the device.
I have never known if there is a complete list of the eBay used in various countries.
But I think, depending on the country one is from, the associated eBay site is accessed by default.
Of course one can run into complications of money exchange rates and import fees too.

I bring this up after seeing a post on another forum I visit that showed the person's source for a device that had a price that made the same device listed on a US site look like theft.

Baldronicus

An off-topic question

#5 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi dennis-slacko531. Curiosity leads me to ask the following, even though it is going a bit off-topic. Do you intend to check/change the Intel Management Engine settings for the machine (I think it would be applicable, but not sure)?
I am a bit of an uninformed paranoid (because I don't know what I am doing), so was a bit caught out when I came across it in one of the ex business machines I have. It is, of course, logical that business machines would have this capability. It's just that it wasn't obvious (also logical in a way, I guess). I was just wondering how a more rational user might consider things. Hopefully this will only be a short digression. Thanks.

dennis-slacko531

#6 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Baldronicus -- Might be able to help, but it's in my brothers hands. He read your post about Intel ME and is going to research it... May take a few days, but he'll give you an answer.

8-bit -- Hope you're doing okay with your PM (btw,it's been quite cold in N Oreg). For sure, international finances are better read about in college textbooks...
:twisted:
EDIT-->>>>JUST ONE THING<<<<-- My whole POINT about my "new" HP PC is I'm doing SO MUCH more with my Puppy ---- Puppy USERS that have old CLUNKERS NEED TO WAKE UP --!!-- Get rid of those P4's with SATA 1 or slower HDD's. I'll keep paying attention here if others wish to ask questions about any aspects of eBay (and I'd say particularly this Seller, BuyBest15). I'm aware this Arizona seller ONLY ships to US -- Please, let's HEAR from All Contries. Peace to You this New Year! :wink:

Baldronicus

Apologies

#7 Post by Baldronicus »

Apologies to all. Dennis-slacko531, I hope I haven't caused more work for you and your brother. Particularly since I didn't even describe things properly- it's the Intel Management Engine Bios Extension. Which. I think gives access to the setup of the pre-execution environment/s for remote network control etc (if I understand correctly). I don't know if your machine is a V-Pro, or whether other units still have the stuff (probably do to an extent). I have already changed the password, and, I think, disabled the stuff. So don't worry on my account. I just got carried away when I saw the pictures etc, and thought I would ask how you considered it (just getting another opinion).
They are nippy, especially with Puppy :) Still, I can understand where some might stick with stuff they know inside out (not that I do). Horses for courses, I guess. One does notice the difference, though.
Thanks.