Keyboard stopped working

Please post any bugs you have found
mark2741

Keyboard stopped working

#1 Post by mark2741 »

Just installed Precise Puppy on Saturday on a Dell D610 with 2.2ghz processor and 1GB of RAM.

Love it!

But one problem....All of a sudden, the keyboard stopped working. I've rebooted numerous times but still the keyboard won't work. It's not a hardware issue because when I exit out to the command line, the keyboard works.

I've tried the keyboard wizards to no avail. I made no changes prior to the keyboard problem. It just simply stopped working in Puppy.

I'm relatively new to linux. Any recommendations on what to look for to try to fix this?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Use this Puppy specific search site.
Search for keyboard stops working.
Several similar topics may have answer to your problem.
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mark2741

#3 Post by mark2741 »

Thanks. That search page will come in handy.

I did a search on it and noticed some people saying that ext2 file system often corrupts with Puppy, so I just went ahead and did a clean format/partition of the laptop and created an ext4 partition and then a clean full install of Precise Puppy.

It's been working perfectly on this older Dell D610 laptop with 1GB RAM. Keyboard is working great again. My son, who is 8, has been playing Minecraft on it and I can't get over how fast/snappy it is running. We tried running Ubuntu on it a couple of years ago and it was so slow it was unusable. Puppy is perfect for this laptop.

Thanks again!