How to force Puppy to Save without shutting down?

Booting, installing, newbie
phuzzy4242

How to force Puppy to Save without shutting down?

#1 Post by phuzzy4242 »

Sorry for tacking a different (but related) question onto this thread. The forum's search didn't point to anything specific after reading for two hours and didn't see anything in the How-Tos. This can't be an unusual question. Only been using Puppy a few days.

My problem is almost the opposite of smelling_for_good's - I want to force Puppy (Precise 5.4.3 installed on flash drive) to write the savefile without having to end the session. It's a PITA to make a lot of setting changes and lose them all if the PC crashes. Not sure if the "Save" button writes the entire RAM to the flash or not, nor how to restore pup_save if needed.

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

Hi phuzzy4242.
Here is a way for you to see exactly what happens when you select a button. Beware, some functions may activate commands that are not visible.

If you right-click the 'save' icon, you will get a dialog window, and you can choose 'Edit Item' to get the path for the command, as shown below. Alternatively, choose 'Show Location' to jump directly to the window in the path that contain the script/command/program.

In my puppy, I come to /usr/sbin/savesession-dvd.

When I right-click the 'savesession-dvd' icon in /usr/sbin/, I can choose 'Open as text' from the menu, and you can see the resulting text below. It should at least give some ideas about what happens, the text may also lead you elsewhere.

There are threads containing info on the save process, the following link is about the 'Save' icon itself, but may give some clues to where to look for more info on the process.
Icon issues when saving, remastering.

I always run my puppies as live CD/DVD, the examples are from a dpup_484beta4-2.6.30.5. if you run from a HD, a USB stick or floppy, the 'Save' button may activate a different command, I have never tried that. (and I know my save button has a floppy symbol instead of a CD...)

tallboy
Attachments
my_save-button.png
Dialog from right-clicking the Save button, and text in savesesion-dvd. The example is from my dpup_484beta4-2.6.30.5.
(178.7 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

phuzzy4242

#3 Post by phuzzy4242 »

Thanks for the info. What threw me off was the Save icon reporting it was "Saving RAM to 'pup_save' file" when the actual save file is 'precisesave_crypta.2fs'. Comparing file times shows that clicking 'Save' updates that file so it's all good.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

'pup_save' file"
This is the generic name used to represent the save file in an information statement.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)