Is Puppy harsh on hardware

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

Is Puppy harsh on hardware

#1 Post by nic007 »

I alternate quite a lot between Windows XP and Puppy (mostly Tahr). My laptop is definitely running much quieter when using Windows, a bit like a Rolls Royce compared to a Chevy Pickup. Anyone experienced the same? :roll:

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

You may not have the correct temperature control activated in Puppy and the fan could be running flat out unnecessarily.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

No, the fan is not running all the time in puppy. Could be a RAM issue? Machine also seems to run cooler in Windows.

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

It is unlikely to be anything to do with RAM.
It is far more likely that your processor is running at a set speed whatever, and not clocking itself according to the demand.
You can check the clock speed under varying loads and if it does not change then you need to find the utility to that controls it.
I am at work at the moment and it is on my home machine and I cannot remember off the top of my head.

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

So why is Windows controlling things correctly without a fuss but Puppy needs "assistance"?

LazY Puppy

#6 Post by LazY Puppy »

There's some wrong thinking in here...

Windows doesn't control things correctly! :wink:

Windows controls things unwanted and unasked! :twisted:
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Moat

#7 Post by Moat »

As Burn_IT suggests, I do believe it's called "CPU Frequency Scaling Tool" or something like that... it might not be enabled on you Pups, OOTB. Should/might be found in your Utility or Setup menu...?

Man, Linux users sure love to bash Windows ( :lol: ), but I consider XP a very fine OS - and indeed Puppy generally is "noisier" in CPU use at idle than a well-tuned XP (or Windows 7, for that matter). Combination of running the X desktop, tray plug-ins, network management, etc. in ways that are simply not as efficient as Windows. But really, the difference should only be a few percentage points at idle (like 2-5%, depending) - and not really enough to overwork/overheat things unless there's something else yet-to-be-discovered going on. :?:

Bob

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

Perhaps because the autors of Windows included the links to the BIOS signals, but the Puppy ones didn't.
I don't actually know the answer, but that seems the likely one.
There is also the fact that Linux is built to be as light as possible in resource usage and you are expected to re-compile it and fit it to your machine - taking care of such nicities yourself - whereas Windows is designed to be generic and work on a wider range of machines.
In any case I have spent a lot of effort tuning my machine and making it run as cool as possible. I bought it off ebay as a cheap problem machine that was overheating and have turned it into a quite nice laptop that now has a faster cpu, more memory, and runs 25% lower temperature than it did - if it didn't crash from overheating.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

menu->System->"CPU Frequency Scaling Tool"

Set it up for the CPU.

If already setup, go into speed options.

Mine is a tower case, so I like performance setting, flat out all the time. :shock: :lol:
Attachments
capture14400.png
(26.87 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

LazY Puppy

#10 Post by LazY Puppy »

Man, Linux users sure love to bash Windows ( :lol: ), but I consider XP a very fine OS
Yes!

Still got one running in my drumming room. Used to do 16 / 24 track simultaneous audio recording in Steinberg Cubase.

Last re-installed in the end of 2008 / beginning of 2009. Just installed the OS plus the necessary audio applications and vst plugins.

Though I'd hated the 'file locked'-mechanism that refuses to remove files in almost all cases after having the file in use by a program or by the file explorer.

Luckily I'd found UnLocker Portable some later...

What I'd read and heard about later versions of windows made me just keeping XP (SP2) without to upgrade anything else ever.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rokytnji

#11 Post by rokytnji »

Man, Linux users sure love to bash Windows
If you wish to be fair. Hate runs on both sides of that coin. But I don't care or pay attention to such child like way of thinking. I left high school long ago. Without graduating.
No adult thinking going on there that I could see.

On my atom Netbooks that run Puppy Carolina.

My atom netbook manufacturer supplies these for Windows XP.

http://www.shopmanda.com/PUBLIC/Compani ... rivers/XP/

Because the Windows XP kernel does not.

Puppy tries to compensate for this lack of vendor support the best it can. Like Big Pup said. Use The CPU tool with lmsensors to monitor what is what, I guess. I keep my atom netbooks under control using

http://wellminded.net63.net/

Which is why I probably do not start a lot of threads on this forum.

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

bigpup wrote:menu->System->"CPU Frequency Scaling Tool"

Set it up for the CPU.

If already setup, go into speed options.

Mine is a tower case, so I like performance setting, flat out all the time. :shock: :lol:
I'll play a bit with this tool and see if it makes a difference.