[solved]Tray has gone

Booting, installing, newbie
zenleo

[solved]Tray has gone

#1 Post by zenleo »

Hi,
Using dpup.
I'm not sure what it's called in Puppy however the lower panel (Debian), systen tray or tray from the bottom edge of the desktop has gone.
I have tried JWM Config without any luck.
How do I restore the Tray back onto my desktop?
Is there a restore top defaults setting?
Last edited by zenleo on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Which version of Puppy are you using, and what are the specs of your machine & monitor.

zenleo

#3 Post by zenleo »

Using the latest dpup 0.0.4
Acer Aspire One D260 netbook
2.2GHz
1Gb Ram

The tray was there however when looking at JWM config options it disappeared.

I've been using Debian for a few years now and have learned to look before I leap, I'm saying this as I didn't think I did anything to cause the tray to disappear....but one never knows.

I would be happy to start it all again from scratch except I've noticed that even if I reinstall the dpup.iso to flash drive the steeing remain the same if I plug it back into the same computer. I thought all go back to the default settings.

zenleo

#4 Post by zenleo »

Well, if it's not possible to restore the tray how do I start over again.
I find can't understand why, when I reformat the USB stick and install dppup onto the USB stick and place it into the computer again then all the saved changes are still there. Yet if I place it in a different computer it alll back to the default settings.
How is this so?
Is some information left in the computer with the saved changes?

DaveS

Re: Tray has gone

#5 Post by DaveS »

zenleo wrote:Hi,
Using dpup.
I'm not sure what it's called in Puppy however the lower panel (Debian), systen tray or tray from the bottom edge of the desktop has gone.
I have tried JWM Config without any luck.
How do I restore the Tray back onto my desktop?
Is there a restore top defaults setting?
OK, first up, check that the tray file has not been deleted. Assuming you are using the JWM window manager, which is the default in Puppy, see if you have the file /root/.jwmrc-tray. It is a hidden file so you will have to set Rox to show hidden files. Right click on a file manager window and from the pop up dialogue select 'options', and from Display, check show hidden files. Close Rox, then open it again. If you have the .jwmrc-tray file, open a terminal window and type 'fixmenus' without the quotes. Nothing much will happen, just a few words will appear. When it is done, close the terminal window and fro the menu menu>shutdown>restart JWM.
With luck, you will be set :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

zenleo

#6 Post by zenleo »

Thanks DaveS,
That has fixed it, now I need to know how to place programs on the tray however that I believe should be a seperate topic.

DaveS

#7 Post by DaveS »

zenleo wrote:Thanks DaveS,
That has fixed it, now I need to know how to place programs on the tray however that I believe should be a seperate topic.
You might find this useful http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46829
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Monsie

#8 Post by Monsie »

Today I lost the bottom panel (tray) in Wary Puppy. While I can't say for certain what caused this problem, at the time, I was testing various programs which involved installing/uninstalling and re-booting my system...

Anyway, I tried fixmenus at the terminal, and although it appeared that JWM was re-building the desktop..., after a hard shutdown and restart, the problem remained.... Next, I ran fixmenus and then xorgwizard at the terminal. This brought up the Video Wizard gui. I then clicked on the button to run the xorgwizard from the menu. This in turn shutdown X and allowed me to re-install my graphics card via the command prompts. When X restarted... "voila" my bottom panel was restored. :D

Hopefully this will help others in similar situation in future...

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.