[SOLVED] Key "alt gr" not working in TahrPup

Please post any bugs you have found
a100_sausages

[SOLVED] Key "alt gr" not working in TahrPup

#1 Post by a100_sausages »

Hello!

Having received help with installing vim on Puppy in another thread, the time had come to do some programming. This revealed a problem, which I'm sure is some sort of a bug:

I needed som braces ({}) for a loop, so I pressed "alt gr" + 7, as this is the key combination for the left brace on the Norwegian keyboard layout. The result: No braces, but a beeping sound that almost blew my ears out!

It turns out that "alt gr" + 2 (for an @-symbol) doesn't work either, so the "alt gr" key seems to be the problem. Pressing it yields a beeping sound, but that is currently its only function.

I really hope that someone has a fix for this, as the "alt gr" key is crucial for both Java programming and making LaTex documents.

Greetings from Norway
Last edited by a100_sausages on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

Key "alt gr" not working in TahrPup - please help!

#2 Post by L18L »

My keyboard is working very well.

Code: Select all

cat /etc/keymap
de
Are you sure you have already setup your keyboard?
See Setup > Language > Keyboard
Choose no for Norway

Greetings from Germany

a100_sausages

#3 Post by a100_sausages »

Yes, the settings are set to a Norwegian keyboard (but English language).

If it's any help, my laptop is a HP ProBook 4330s, and all the buttons have worked on all other linux distributions. The only other buttons that don't work on Puppy are the screen brightness adjusters (fn+F2/3).

a100_sausages

#4 Post by a100_sausages »

Update

I was unable to fix this problem, so in desperation, I once again booted from the live USB and noticed that "alt gr" was working flawlessly in the live environment. I therefore tried to do a fresh install of Puppy to my hard drive.

The result: It all works!

I still don't know why it didn't work on my previous install, but I'm still very pleased.[/b]