SlackBones x86_64

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pagdam

slackbones download

#31 Post by pagdam »

really having problems getting the ISO on my drive. Whenever I download by clicking on the link the checksum says its bad and the file size is always different. Downloading from the download link w/
pwget gives a file called hive37 size 309Mb... what should I do w/ this?

Q5sys

Re: slackbones download

#32 Post by Q5sys »

pagdam wrote:really having problems getting the ISO on my drive. Whenever I download by clicking on the link the checksum says its bad and the file size is always different. Downloading from the download link w/
pwget gives a file called hive37 size 309Mb... what should I do w/ this?
for download tracking im using a redirect link. ill pm you a direct link to use wget on.

runtt21

#33 Post by runtt21 »

Just tried the download link in the first thread. Got a .iso only 87.6 mb. Md5sum's dont match.

Q5sys

#34 Post by Q5sys »

runtt21 wrote:Just tried the download link in the first thread. Got a .iso only 87.6 mb. Md5sum's dont match.
I just downloaded it and checked the Md5 and it was fine.
Video of me grabbing it can be found here: http://slackbones.org/downloading_slackbones.mpg

Try grabbing it again.

emil

#35 Post by emil »

14 M/s

Wow...

Q5sys

#36 Post by Q5sys »

emil wrote:14 M/s

Wow...
lol. i was wondering if someone would comment on that. thats me downloading onto my 1gbit server from my 100mbit server. so actually that was a bit slow. haha

runtt21

#37 Post by runtt21 »

I tried again, this time the .iso was 204 mb and the md5sum's still don't match.

i just downloaded precise and precise-devx without issue, md5's all matched.

Q5sys

#38 Post by Q5sys »

runtt21 wrote:I tried again, this time the .iso was 204 mb and the md5sum's still don't match.

i just downloaded precise and precise-devx without issue, md5's all matched.
the download is apparently being cut off at your end for some reason. maybe your isp is resetting you connection.
have you tried to dl with the wget command?
if all else fails download through a brower that supports resuming downloads (opera for example)

2byte

#39 Post by 2byte »

Q5sys

This is a significant contribution to the Puppy community to say the least. Slackbones is impressive. I was surprised by the 309 mb download until I saw that it includes 200 mb of 'extras' like the kernel source and devx along with the other add-ons.

As it seems to have similarities to Fatdog I am wondering, does it need the fatdog-mount-helper-fix.pet to be safely used alongside other distros like Mint & Ubuntu?

jamesbond

#40 Post by jamesbond »

2byte wrote:As it seems to have similarities to Fatdog I am wondering, does it need the fatdog-mount-helper-fix.pet to be safely used alongside other distros like Mint & Ubuntu?
Yes :oops:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

2byte

#41 Post by 2byte »

@jamesbond

Hey, no problem. This is a prototype , right?

A couple more questions, if you don’t mind;
I noticed that pmount from Fatdog is included, even though there is no mention of it that I have seen. Are there any other Puppy/Fatdog specific utilities in there like resize-save-file etc.?

Lastly, is it safe to assume the boot parameters from Fatdog 6.11 also apply to Slackbones?

Just so you know, I’m quite enthusiastic about Slackbones. It’s like a bare-bones Fatdog on steroids, and I’m a huge fan of Fatdog!

Many thanks to Q5sys and jamesbond, and anyone else involved.

Ted Dog

Re: Great job

#42 Post by Ted Dog »

jamesbond wrote:
Ted Dog wrote: This version has already has been remastered and burned as a pure UDF blu-ray bootable puppy. Which is a first. All other puppies that could boot had to be a nasty hybrid of old-iso and UDF that only booted a few versions of Wary. Likewise the mount program provided mounted and read UDF directly, nicely done.
Out of topic, but this is very interesting. I know of no program, open source or otherwise, that will create a pure UDF bootable disc. How did you do that? Did you use mkudffs and then craft your own Eltorito boot sector by hand? Does it work only on EFI machines, or does it work with BIOS machines too?
growisofs: remove -D -R add -iso_level=3 and -udf everything else stays. I posted the code else where on the forum. 8) yes EFI boot loader and standard bootloader can exist on the same disc-image, but its a order thing that redhat worked out but with confusing code. BTW UDF can be burned on CD or DVD as well as Blu-ray disks, its just a format. I burn UDF to R/W-DVDs for most testing since I have so many. :roll:

is there code to rewrap sfs into intrd. Still on a learning curve with this method of running a puppy version.

01micko

#43 Post by 01micko »

Q5sys

I have uploaded the main ISO image to the smokey01 server. You may want to add a link in the main post, and a mention to include jamesbond's mount fix to puplet builders.

slackbones-v1.0-x86_64.iso

md5 checksum (same as orig)

Cheers!
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Q5sys

#44 Post by Q5sys »

2byte wrote:Q5sys
This is a significant contribution to the Puppy community to say the least. Slackbones is impressive. I was surprised by the 309 mb download until I saw that it includes 200 mb of 'extras' like the kernel source and devx along with the other add-ons.
Make sure you give JamesBond props! :P
2byte wrote:@jamesbond

Hey, no problem. This is a prototype , right?
A couple more questions, if you don’t mind;
I noticed that pmount from Fatdog is included, even though there is no mention of it that I have seen. Are there any other Puppy/Fatdog specific utilities in there like resize-save-file etc.?

Lastly, is it safe to assume the boot parameters from Fatdog 6.11 also apply to Slackbones?

Just so you know, I’m quite enthusiastic about Slackbones. It’s like a bare-bones Fatdog on steroids, and I’m a huge fan of Fatdog!

Many thanks to Q5sys and jamesbond, and anyone else involved.
JamesBond will have to chime in here, but from what I remember from our many discussions a while back while we were working on this... is that part of it is/was going to be the base for the next (610) release of FatDog. But thats not to say that FatDog is specifically based on this entirely. FD610 has a older Kernel than Slackbones.
Slackbones was designed to be at the very cutting edge, yet as bareboned as possible.
A newer kernel is availbale, but we havent released it yet.
The Custom Slackbones Repo is in Alpha stage right now, everything is working fine at the moment on my local network. I havent shifted it over to my online server to put it through its paces at this point. Still trying work in some extra features that meeki and I are working on.
v2 of slackbones might include the repo... it all depends on when I decide im comfortable with its performance and confident that it'll scale up to anyone using it.

Q5sys

#45 Post by Q5sys »

01micko wrote:Q5sys

I have uploaded the main ISO image to the smokey01 server. You may want to add a link in the main post, and a mention to include jamesbond's mount fix to puplet builders.

slackbones-v1.0-x86_64.iso

md5 checksum (same as orig)

Cheers!
Im uploading to sourceforge as well... when I get it uploaded... i'll throw that link and your link in the first post.
Thanks for the mirror.

jamesbond

#46 Post by jamesbond »

This is a prototype , right?
As in? :D
1. Drive icons
2. Save session (at shutdown)
3. Pmount
4. Filemnt
4. Remaster
Yes.
Thanks. Slackbone is Fatdog's barebones :)
is there code to rewrap sfs into intrd. Still on a learning curve with this method of running a puppy version.
If you click an initrd (or initrd.gz), it will be un-packed in /tmp. Put any SFS you want and then click the re-pack script. If you want to see how all these work, look into the /usr/sbin/filemnt script.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

2byte

#47 Post by 2byte »

As in? :D
Potentially, if not already, the best bare bones Puppy ever 8)

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

Convert PETS to TXZ

Since you can't install .PET packages in Slackbones I made a handy utility so that you can! I haven't tested that they install yet but I don't see any problems. I built the TXZ package with the utility itself.

http://01micko.no-ip.org/testing/pet2tx ... ch_PET.txz

Hope this helps! (translate: "hope it works!")

Install:

Code: Select all

/sbin/installpkg pet2txz-0.2-noarch_PET.txz
EDIT: fixed a minor bug and also uses /sbin/makepkg if available
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 01 Feb 2013, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

Q5sys

#49 Post by Q5sys »

01micko wrote:Since you can't install .PET packages in Slackbones I made a handy utility so that you can! I haven't tested that they install yet but I don't see any problems. I built the TXZ package with the utility itself.

http://01micko.no-ip.org/testing/pet2tx ... ch_PET.txz

Hope this helps! (translate: "hope it works!")

Install:

/sbin/installpkg pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz
Yea that was actually by design. lol
Im sure some people will want to install Pets, so this will be helpful for them.
As for official releases, packages will be in TXZ format and not PET format. Since this is all new and shiny, I wanted to avoid the eventual conflict of people installing pet packages.
The official repo will contain only TXZ packages which will be confirmed to work and have no issues.
Un-officially, people can do whatever they want. But support outside mainline packages will be limited.

01micko

#50 Post by 01micko »

Q5sys wrote:Yea that was actually by design. lol
..and I agree with that design!

It does install, but with a warning..

# /sbin/installpkg pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz
Verifying package pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz.
Installing package pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
WARNING:  Package has not been created with 'makepkg'
Package pet2txz-0.1-noarch_PET.txz installed.

# pet2txz
Usage:
pet2txz somepet.pet -- produces a Slackware .txz file
pet2txz -v -- states version
pet2txz -v -- shows this help
NOTE: "PET" is clearly appended to the packagename in every instance, that is by design . And of course "USE AT OWN RISK".