Puppy 1.0.9 and 2.0 Fail to see installed USB

Please post any bugs you have found
mktyap

Puppy 1.0.9 and 2.0 Fail to see installed USB

#1 Post by mktyap »

I followed the setup instructions to install 1.0.9 and 2.0 to my USB Zip drive after booting up from liveCD. Tried both options and successfully copied the required files and setting boot (from /dev/sdb4). Problem on booting:

The USB Zip disk boots up on syslinux until it comes to finding the usr.cram.fs (1.0.9) or the pup.2fs file. Both files missing - 1.0.9 gives a long statement and hangs hard with prompt. 2.0 gets a kernel panic no init found (I assume a USBFlash install here as my Zip drive boots OK under PCLinux).

Some indication: After failing puppy tried to find the cram.fs file from the cdrom (which as removed on boot) on 1.0.9 because it indicated an unclaimed USB device. I even tried root=/dev/zip in syslinux.cfg file with same result. I will post the dmesg here if anyone interested.

KT

mktyap

Nobody interested in a portable zip puppy?

#2 Post by mktyap »

No response - I guess nobody is interested or has tried this - so Im posting my experience with puppy/seamonkey 2.0 for others in future:
I make bootable zip disk (using mkbootdisk --device /dev/sdb4 kernel or using syslinux) and copy all the LiveCd files over. Then I rename the isolinux.cfg file to syslinux.cfg with the single line:
"default vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 initrd=initrd.gz acpi=no PSLEEP=25 PFILE=ask PMEDIA=usbflash"

My Dell has the option (F2) to boot up in USB device first. It finds the USB Iomega zip drive and boots recognizing most hardware until it comes to:
"Kernel panic not syncing - attemt to kill init" and hangs. I guess it must be acpi - so Im trying again with acpi=no in the line above.

Wish me luck - I may give up after this unless someone respond here.
javascript:emoticon(':(')
Sad
KT

littlewelshboy

I'm interested

#3 Post by littlewelshboy »

I am at least interested in the results of your experiments. I have posted a similar error, please see:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8424

I really would like to know what's causing this "Kernel panic not syncing - attemt to kill init" too.

Cheers

niels

Re: I'm interested

#4 Post by niels »

littlewelshboy wrote:
I really would like to know what's causing this "Kernel panic not syncing - attemt to kill init" too.
I had this problem. Turns out that puppy wasn't waiting long enough for my USB devices to be detected before searching for pup_200.sfs.

I modified the initrd.gz to add a 10 second delay after loading the USB modules (and before the attempts to search for pup_200.sfs).

You can download my modified initrd.gz from http://www.weaklogic.com/puppy/initrd.gz if you wish. (Modified from the OneBone 2.00r1 version)

You need to right click and use Save-As - the web server is returning the wrong mime type at the moment.

kaiet

#5 Post by kaiet »

Thank you so much niels!!
I have followed your solution and it works!! :D :D